KK and Kayaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KK and Kayaks

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

KK and Kayaks

Does anyone here have a Kayak? If so, how do you transport it?

I'm looking at eventually buying a Kayak, and I have no idea where to start. I'm giving myself the offseason to be able to do the research needed before making a purchase. I'm also looking to see what will be needed to haul it on the roof, or if I can get it to fit with the seats down.

LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
OffAndRunning
2012 KK Liberty 

Thule or Yakima

You won't want to try stuffing a kayak in your KK. The water and mud of paddling aren't worth it.

Unfortunately, the rack systems are expensive too. The rail grabs and crossbars will run you about $300-$350. The actual kayak carrier will run you an additional $150-$500, depending on how awesome you want to go. Yakima and Thule are the leaders for bars and equipment to haul anything you can imagine. Go to their sites and walk through the fit process and they'll show you the best options.

I'm about to spring for the Thule 450R and ARB53 crossbar and rail grabs, which will run me about $340. I already have a dual kayak carrier that I got at Dick's for $150 that carries two boats. On the plus side, I love kayaking and think it's worth the one-time costs. I wouldn't recommend going expensive at first. My $350 Dick's kayak has dihedral design and steers straight. I like it.

Let us know what you end up getting. Good luck!
OffAndRunning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Yeah, I didn't think that through about putting the Kayak back in wet... Dumb idea!

Ill check out Yakima or Thule and see what I can find. I'll probably head out to Dick's sometime soon and see what they have.

I have the US National White Water Rafting Center not too far from my house, as well as a couple rivers and a pretty decent sized lake. So ill definitely have a few good places to use it at.
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Do you have the raised roof rails? If so you can DIY some cross bars. Then add "atthehelm"'s front recovery bar with a receiver and either DIY a front support or there are manufactured ones.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Yakker
2008 KK Liberty 

are you talkin' about a whitewater kayak or a 10 footer
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #6
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

10' Ft.. I meant I can use it at their facilities on the flat water and not the white water.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

If you have raised roof rails, with some DIY crossbars 10 feet is easy. The KK is 14 feet long and I've had stuff hanging off the front and back of mine.
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

I have the RRO bars. I think I'll look into some DIY bars with some U bolts.
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
Yakker
2008 KK Liberty 

Take a look at Malone crossbars and kayak carriers-check out their website-Bass Pro stocks 'em

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.