kk hid kit good idea or bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > kk hid kit good idea or bad

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
inshore04
2008 KK Liberty 

kk hid kit good idea or bad

to start i just purchased a jeep liberty 2008. i went to get the oil changed at the dealer ship and i was talking to the parts salesman about hid kits. he told me if the jeep didnt come with it it doesnt need it. okay i get that. he continued to tell me that i could burn up my lamp wiring harness too then he really got my attention. i bought a hid kit and now im scared to put it on in fear of buring up my harness. has anyone had good or bad experiences with hid kits on their liberty. i had a 98 jeep grand cherokee and had no problems but i dont wanna have to buy a new wiring harness which costs 2000 according to the dealership when the hid kit only cost me less than 85 dollars.

inshore04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
JeepMoparFan

but the HID kit include all the necesary to avoid that problem. in fact, the hid use less power vs the halogen lights.
JeepMoparFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
inshore04
2008 KK Liberty 

i agree with you about that. the parts guy tried to explain to me that hid use less power but something about the computer in the jeep tell it, it needs more power so the jeep applys more power to the light thus causing the harness to burn up. i have had an hid kit in my older grand zj but that was a 98 now i have something that is only 4 years old and i dont know if there really is going to be an issue or not. i would hate to find out the hard way.
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

There are other post on the subject,not everybody finds them ecffective,poor lighting
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Unless you do it right and install projectors etc all you will do is blind everyone else on the road
Unread 02-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
az16339
2009 KK Liberty 

IMHO, HID's should be outlawed. I'm a commercial driver and hate those "ultra bright white/pink/blue/whatever permanent high beams" blinding everyone in their path. If you need more light for off-roading, install a light bar and light up the (off road) world to your hearts delight. They (HID's) don't belong on the highway!
az16339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
JSAN

I'd debating on getting HIDs for my 08 Liberty. In the end I said screw it. Unless I find a kit that includes projector housing for the HIDs, I'm not installing them on the Jeep.
JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

I installed an HID kit in my '08 KK...fogs and headlights...let's just say I promptly ripped them back out.
They SUCK!!!! This was a good, high dollar kit. But without projectors in your housings the light isn't dispersed properly. You can't see 20 feet past your hood and you blind oncoming drivers.
It's your call, just trying to save you the trouble and the cash.
silver08kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
inshore04
2008 KK Liberty 

alright, unless i get projectors which are a bit pricey for what it is, i suppose i won't install them. back to california they will go. i already ordered them and they came in today but i was reading the box and it said not to touch them because they get hot, so that means if its too hot for me to touch odds are it's too hot to be on the vehicle too. i could imagine that it would burn up my lamp housing or lamp harness and this is starting to look like it's not worth the risk. i guess i will get some silverstar ultras or something. the light output that is on it now kinda well suuuucks. i did find projectors for the kk liberty but it was 200 for the kit and i don't feel like it's really worth the money right now. thanks guys.
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
wrJeep3r
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inshore04 View Post
i did find projectors for the kk liberty but it was 200 for the kit and i don't feel like it's really worth the money right now. thanks guys.
Where did you find this kit at? I'd really like to know.
wrJeep3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by inshore04 View Post
alright, unless i get projectors which are a bit pricey for what it is, i suppose i won't install them. back to california they will go. i already ordered them and they came in today but i was reading the box and it said not to touch them because they get hot, so that means if its too hot for me to touch odds are it's too hot to be on the vehicle too. i could imagine that it would burn up my lamp housing or lamp harness and this is starting to look like it's not worth the risk. i guess i will get some silverstar ultras or something. the light output that is on it now kinda well suuuucks. i did find projectors for the kk liberty but it was 200 for the kit and i don't feel like it's really worth the money right now. thanks guys.
Not that I'm saying HID's are a good idea(they are not) but your halogen bulb in your headlamps right now get hotter then the HID bulbs do in regards to actual heat output.
Unread 02-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

CarID puts out kits. They are junk. Waste of time, effort and money.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #13
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

$200 is nothing... if you're doing HIDs under $200 you're probably doing them wrong. Thats why it can be a $5,000+ option on most newer cars, you need a quality set of projectors because in short the HID bulbs reflect light a lot differently than the halogens and as such need a housing designed especially for them.

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #14
n3dk3lly

It's illegal to replace non HID lights with HID in New South Wales Australia.
You blind oncoming drivers supposedly.
n3dk3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
inshore04
2008 KK Liberty 

i put some silverstar ultras in them today and i bought the hid kit from ebay. i agree the price for hid kits arent bad at all, i bought a kit for 100 before and put them on my 98 jeep grand and had absolutely no problems with it, but after i read some other forums and hearing it from the dealership i just don't think its really worth putting them in. plus a lot of people agree about blinding people, i can direct the light downwards the best i can i suppose but it brings me back to the fear messing up my wiring harness again (according to the dealership people have had to get them replaced already from over frying the harnesses) i am going to call the jeep dealership and see if i can get a tech on the phone and see if the first guy was full of it or if people actually have had to get their lamp harnesses replaced.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.