KK boredom got to me today!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KK boredom got to me today!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 12-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

KK boredom got to me today!!

So I went out and drove a new 2012 2 door Rubicon Wrangler. Wow, difference is day and night. The 2012 Rubicon is a long jump from my most recent Wrangler TJ 2003 4.0. The ride was more refined than that of the KK. It sits up nice an high, turns on a dime, and a pure blast to drive.

Even though it has something like 65 more HP than the KK it did not feel to be there. It also had more wind noise than the KK, but then it is shaped like a brick. The 5 speed automatic shifts very smooth. All in all I really kind of liked it.

Not sure I want to pay the entry price to trade up however. While the Rubicon is a more rough and ready trail vehicle that could tackle just about anything you would ever think of throwing at it, it all comes at a price.

One thing that I really like on my KK is the Select Trac 4 wheel drive system. If you find your self on the road with a mix of traction and lack of traction you can slap the Select Trac into 4 wheel drive and have no worries as the computer adjust traction from front to rear and each wheel as needed. The KK has a lower center of gravity which make for a better feel on the road in poor weather conditions.

Not sure what I'll do..pay the price or save the cash and keep the KK. Truth is I havent' needed the 4x4 system on the KK yet except for the ability to put the transfer case in N for towing the KK behind the motor home. On the other hand, if the KK were more trail capable maybe I would have found a need to use the 4x4.

I guess the one nice point about the $16K to trade up is that Jeep does have some zero percent funding available.

Unread 12-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
On the other hand, if the KK were more trail capable maybe I would have found a need to use the 4x4.

I guess the one nice point about the $16K to trade up is that Jeep does have some zero percent funding available.
The KK is plenty capable. If you haven't needed the 4x4 in the liberty, you'll never need the rubicon's goodies.
16K is way too much to spend for what little extra you get.
Unless you must drag a rubicon behind your motorhome to be as cool as everyone else at the KOA. I know how judgemental those guys can be.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

It ain't the factor of cool, but the factor of capability. There have been a few time I would have liked to have had access to our ranch but it was too muddy. But, I respected the limits of the KK and stayed clean and home. But, then that would have been from more of a ground clearence issue.

As for being back of the motorhome the KK color matches pretty well, thats why we drove 3+ hours to go pick it up. The Rubi is Dozer Yellow, wouldn't come near to matching, but you sure would notice it....LOL!!!!
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
backinblack
2009 KK Liberty 

Dissident!!!

I appreciate your review though. I drove an Unlimited when I was looking for a Jeep and it was a totally different experience, just as you described. I went with the KK because the size was a little more what I wanted, and the road noise was less. It still has the power I need and enough space inside, plus I got a great deal on it.

I do wish that the KK was still being produced and that it came with the new 3.8L Pentastar engine, but all in all I have to regrets with my choice.
backinblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Maybe the 4 door JK Rubi - but going from a KK to a 2 door Rubi you'll lose too much cargo space.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Maybe I am too much of a purist. Wranglers were never meant to have 4 doors. I could even accept the square headlights of the YJ, but a Wrangler was meant to be short well based and 2 doors.

On the other hand without the unlimited JK, Jeep may have gone under a long time back. It has become a staple to the line up already.
Unread 12-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
JeepN4KC

^^^It's a catch 22 with the wheel base. Sometimes the longer wheel base is a plus - sometimes the shorter.

Definately agree the 4 door was rolled out in order to capture all the mall crawlers of America that would never take the rig off road but wanted to join the Jeep culture just the same.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 12-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I'm ok with the 4 Door Wrangler and the 2 Door whether Mall Crawlers buy them or adrenaline junkies or in fact Asian, African and European markets for any use they want. I just hope it's us Americans that keep designing and putting them together. As far as the Lib is concerned I am sorry to see it go.

I think the new Liberkee just like any new model will have a ton gremlins because of all the new stuff thats in it (Engine, Computers, Trans, Axles, Suspension). I think they should of kept the same body and do an engine / new trans upgrade, locking differentials for at least the first year work out the kinks, then maybe do a body style change a year or 2 later. (However, I still like the body lines of the current Liberty then the new one)
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
JeepN4KC

^^^ Agreed Ponch.

But let's keep some design implementation that's more agreeable to the American market. Keep the Euro junk for the Euro crowd - i.e. the Liberkee or whatever it's called.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 12-31-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

Well, Momma always said "Don't make a rush decision, take a few days to reflect before you jump" Well, Momma was right...again. After taking a few days of being honest with myself I can see where my needs lay. The Rubicon is a very strong off the dealer lot get it done Jeep that could handle anything I would ever throw its direction. It would also allow for taking the top off and enjoying a convertable ride, while climbing rocks, trees and buildings after forging deep mud to get to them.
However, mud has to be washed off at some point, and I am kind of more a clean vehicle kind of guy. Top down driving sounds great, but the Texas sun is brutal with heat and sun burn.
I'll be keeping the KK. It gives what I want and need, easy access for grandkids, plenty of back room storage room. The Select Trac gives me the ability to select the traction needed for any conditions.
I looked for just the right optioned KK to fit my individual situation, there is no reason to change direction in the middle of the stream. Plus, I paid cash for the KK, it's all mine.
So for the time you folks are stuck me here in the KK Forum....Sorry.

And FWIW, I have been visiting a few JK forums. None of them or the members seem to be of the cailiber of the members here when it comes to being a community who is tied by nothing more than a like for the same vehicle. Other wise what I am saying is we tend to respect one another here.....which is nice to see.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.