KK 4x4 question (do I have an issue?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > KK 4x4 question (do I have an issue?)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Dabitz

KK 4x4 question (do I have an issue?)

Hello, long time no post. I have the 08KK and have a basic question. If I am driving on 4x4 the truck runs fine and it does it job. However, if I slow down and make a sharp turn, like to pull into a parking space, the transmition gets really tight almost like driving while pressing on the brakes. I have to press harder on the accelerator in order to get it to move until I am totally parked. Is that how the KK 4x4 operates or do I have an issue? I had a Commander with full time 4x4 and that never happened. It's kind of annoying. I would appreciate if you let me know to see if I need to take it for service.

Thanks,

Dave

Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

You don't drive in 4wd on dry pavement. Ever. Period. Each wheel has to either have a slight loss of traction or otherwise has to be able to turn at a speed different from the other wheels.

Basically, stop driving in 4wd on dry pavement, or expect to spend $3500+ at your dealership to get it fixed.

Like ThunderbirdJunkie used to tell customers that didn't want to listen
"Is that a blue Liberty with a snorkel? No? It ain't my wallet, and it ain't my ride home."
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Jeep - 4x4 Basics - SUVs, Sports Utility Vehicles, 4WD, Off-Road 4x4s has a decent description of the Jeep 4WD systems. The liberty has the command-trac or the optional selec-trac transfer cases. What you observe is normal for the command trac part time case but not normal for the select-trac full time case.

The Command-Trac transfer case has four modes: 2-HI, 4-Lock, Neutral, and 4-LO. 2WD HI is for regular driving, and allows the two rear tires to receive power. 4WD Lock, is used for driving on slippery or loose pavement. This position locks both the front and rear drive shafts together splitting engine power equally between the two axles. Neutral, disengages both drive shafts from the transfer case allowing the car to roll freely; this is used for towing behind another vehicle, for example. 4WD LO is used for situations in which there is very little traction. This position, like 4WD, locks both the front and rear drive shafts together, and by using a lower gear ratio, allows for 2.72 times more torque (however, the speed is limited to around 25 MPH max). Using 4WD Lock or LO on dry pavement is hazardous to vehicle components, through drive line binding and wheel-hop. When negotiating a turn, the front and rear axles rotate at different rates. If they are locked and nothing slips, like a tire with little traction, the drive line will bind up.

The Selec-Trac transfer case has a clutch pack that, when fully engaged, locks the case as above. When not engaged, it acts like the 2WD mode above. The amount of clutch pack engagement is automatically controlled by the jeep's computer which senses things like wheel slip. When set to auto mode, there is always a little clutch engagement, and therefore you feel a little binding until the clutch slips.

Last edited by ColdCase; 12-20-2009 at 10:05 AM..
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.