Keys and alarm questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Keys and alarm questions

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Keys and alarm questions

So I'm unfortunate to have keys with the remote built in and an alarm system I don't need. And this is on the base Sport model. Is there a way to completely turn off the alarm system and lock the doors? Owners manual doesn't say how to do this. I can lock the side doors manually, but the lift gate has to be locked with the door lock switch or the remote key which activates the alarm. I also cut some regular key blanks to unlock the doors, but they set off the alarm when opening the doors.

I need some type of key that can get wet when we are out wade fishing and swimming and I need three keys besides mine to give to my buddies so they can access their stuff if I'm off somewhere. Already missing the old XJ. This new stuff is a pain in the rear.

Edit: It's possible to get a key with a chip in it that will operate my vehicle right? Wish the remote was separate from my key at least. Are those aftermarket keys with the chip waterproof? I know the remote/key is not.

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I figured out how to disable the alarm, sort of. This is the procedure. Hopefully my friends can remember it without activating or setting off the alarm.

1-Lock doors with door lock switch.
2-Unlock the drivers door manually.
3-Shut the door and open it right away to deactivate the alarm.
4-Lock door manually and shut it.
5-All doors should be locked at this point and the alarm should be off.

There has to be an easier solution to all this. Any ideas?
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
BillyP

Guess I'm lucky... my 08 KK Sport doesn't have an alarm.
BillyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP View Post
Guess I'm lucky... my 08 KK Sport doesn't have an alarm.
Yeah lucky. Forgot, 2011 KK Sport. Needed a new vehicle and got a deal I couldn't pass up. Went from a '95 XJ to the 2011 KK. The power windows, locks, and alarm have me frustrated. I'll get used to it eventually.

Anyone know where I can get a deal on a few chipped key blanks and whether or not they are waterproof? I really don't want to go to the dealer for them. I can cut the keys at work and the owners manual says how to program them.
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Is there a way to tell if you have the Sentry Key with engine immobilizer compared to just the regular chipped key? Or am I asking about the same thing. I'm a little confused. Found this website which has several different key options. I need to figure out which key blanks to buy. Wow, $115 for the key blank I have now.
http://www.fobkeyless.com/make-model...d-remotes.html
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

Look on eBay just match up the numbers on the back of the fob. I picked up the fob and uncut key a couple months back for less than $20 hardware store cut the key for $.50 I have 2 keys so I programed it myself. If you just want a chipped key go to the hardware store they are cheap.

Dave
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
Look on eBay just match up the numbers on the back of the fob. I picked up the fob and uncut key a couple months back for less than $20 hardware store cut the key for $.50 I have 2 keys so I programed it myself. If you just want a chipped key go to the hardware store they are cheap.

Dave
Perfect, all the info I needed. I'd prefer just a chipped key as long as they are waterproof.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.