Keys and alarm questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Keys and alarm questions

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Keys and alarm questions

So I'm unfortunate to have keys with the remote built in and an alarm system I don't need. And this is on the base Sport model. Is there a way to completely turn off the alarm system and lock the doors? Owners manual doesn't say how to do this. I can lock the side doors manually, but the lift gate has to be locked with the door lock switch or the remote key which activates the alarm. I also cut some regular key blanks to unlock the doors, but they set off the alarm when opening the doors.

I need some type of key that can get wet when we are out wade fishing and swimming and I need three keys besides mine to give to my buddies so they can access their stuff if I'm off somewhere. Already missing the old XJ. This new stuff is a pain in the rear.

Edit: It's possible to get a key with a chip in it that will operate my vehicle right? Wish the remote was separate from my key at least. Are those aftermarket keys with the chip waterproof? I know the remote/key is not.

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I figured out how to disable the alarm, sort of. This is the procedure. Hopefully my friends can remember it without activating or setting off the alarm.

1-Lock doors with door lock switch.
2-Unlock the drivers door manually.
3-Shut the door and open it right away to deactivate the alarm.
4-Lock door manually and shut it.
5-All doors should be locked at this point and the alarm should be off.

There has to be an easier solution to all this. Any ideas?
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
BillyP

Guess I'm lucky... my 08 KK Sport doesn't have an alarm.
BillyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP View Post
Guess I'm lucky... my 08 KK Sport doesn't have an alarm.
Yeah lucky. Forgot, 2011 KK Sport. Needed a new vehicle and got a deal I couldn't pass up. Went from a '95 XJ to the 2011 KK. The power windows, locks, and alarm have me frustrated. I'll get used to it eventually.

Anyone know where I can get a deal on a few chipped key blanks and whether or not they are waterproof? I really don't want to go to the dealer for them. I can cut the keys at work and the owners manual says how to program them.
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Is there a way to tell if you have the Sentry Key with engine immobilizer compared to just the regular chipped key? Or am I asking about the same thing. I'm a little confused. Found this website which has several different key options. I need to figure out which key blanks to buy. Wow, $115 for the key blank I have now.
http://www.fobkeyless.com/make-model...d-remotes.html
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

Look on eBay just match up the numbers on the back of the fob. I picked up the fob and uncut key a couple months back for less than $20 hardware store cut the key for $.50 I have 2 keys so I programed it myself. If you just want a chipped key go to the hardware store they are cheap.

Dave
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
Look on eBay just match up the numbers on the back of the fob. I picked up the fob and uncut key a couple months back for less than $20 hardware store cut the key for $.50 I have 2 keys so I programed it myself. If you just want a chipped key go to the hardware store they are cheap.

Dave
Perfect, all the info I needed. I'd prefer just a chipped key as long as they are waterproof.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.