Key options - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Key options

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-08-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Marcusr
2011 KK Liberty 

Key options

My liberty kk only had one key when I bought it so I need another one cut. Anyone have any advice buying key/key fobs and programming ? I hear to buy from a main dealer will cost well over 100 bucks ..

Marcusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
lakehimself

There was a thread somewhere that mentioned keys. If you have two keys you can program it yourself, but with only one you have to take it to the dealership to get programmed.
lakehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehimself View Post
There was a thread somewhere that mentioned keys. If you have two keys you can program it yourself, but with only one you have to take it to the dealership to get programmed.
This is what I heard also. If you have the 2 original keys you can buy extra blanks, have them cut at the hardware store and program them in the ignition yourself. Mine came with the fobbed key so they are quite expensive. I bought a couple of plain chipped keys for relatively cheap off the internet and cut and programmed them myself so I'd have a couple of spares. Sorry to hear yours only came with one key. Any chance the previous owner has since found the other key?
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
lakehimself

We bought ours from a dealership and it only had one key, they must have lost the other one.
lakehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

If you get remote start installed by the dealer doesn't it come with a 2nd key?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

My dealer quoted me about a 100 for a chipped key only, the fob key was more like 200. They messed up when I asked for the quote... so let's just say I got a new fob key for 100.

Don't feel bad, the wife's Mercedes only came to us with one key. I tried in negotiation to get the selling dealer to pay for one. No luck. Come to find out, the only way to get a key for it is to fill out a bunch of paperwork at the dealer, they order it from Germany, and it costs around $450...
Man I hope my wife never mis-places her key...
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
JoeTDI
2012 KK Liberty 

Mine also only came with 1 key..... I bought a blank key off ebay for $70 and the dealer cut it and programmed it for $40.... Works perfect.... Jeep will not warranty it if it fails for any reason if you bring an aftermarket key for them to program.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.