JK Bumper Lightbar Install Walkthrough - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > JK Bumper Lightbar Install Walkthrough

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
staubitzk
2011 KK Liberty 

JK Bumper Lightbar Install Walkthrough

Finally got a chance to install the JK lightbar on my Liberty. I have not found a detailed walk through yet so here we go...

The first thing you need to do is remove the front bumper.

After the front bumper is removed, line up the JK bar with the bumper and tape it into place.

Insert the grill over the JK bar and measure how far you need to cut the bracket. I needed to cut about 2 inches off the bracket. I would start small and work your way up so that you do not cut too much off.

To cut the bracket, I used an air grinder which did the job nicely. It took about 20 minutes all together to cut both sides. Another thing I learned is to cut and measure each side individually.

Once the bar is cut and fits nicely, I used rattle can matte black to cover the cuts and to spray the bolts black.

Once the parts dried, I realigned the bar to the bumper and marked the hole closest to you with a pencil. I then took a small drill bit and drilled a small pilot hole for the bolts. This is the worst part but after researching and finding a product called Bumper Plugs to fill the hole, it wasn't so bad.

Once the pilot holes were drilled I simply screwed in my bolts in the first two holes, then repeated the process for the back. The bar felt extremely durable and sturdy however you obviously do not want to use it as a towing point

Here is the finished result. It took about an hour to complete and was very easy to do. I will be adding the Hella 500s soon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Unread 07-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Nice write up! I would suggest adding the how-to on lost's KK tech section. Could never hurt to have it for the new guys wanting it over there. And there's a beach meet that's getting planned for sore thumb I think if you ever wanted to go and meet up with us.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
staubitzk
2011 KK Liberty 

Sounds good I will throw it over there as well. Ya man I am always down for any beach trips. Will be there this Friday
Unread 07-11-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Check out the NE section on Lost, we do quite a few meet and greets/mod days with everyone.
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
staubitzk
2011 KK Liberty 

Can u send me the link?
Unread 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #6
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...forum.php?f=23

That's the NE section.
Unread 08-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #7
matteagle
2012 KK Liberty 

@Staubitzk would it be possible for you to relink those photos. I may try to do this instead of the bull bar mount. I think this looks wayyyy slicker but I'm nervous about drilling into the bumper of my new toy!
matteagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteagle View Post
@Staubitzk would it be possible for you to relink those photos. I may try to do this instead of the bull bar mount. I think this looks wayyyy slicker but I'm nervous about drilling into the bumper of my new toy!
They say it is not really yours until you drill your first hole.
Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
s2killa
2011 KK Liberty 

needed this lool
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
jmic0925
2012 KK Liberty 

Are the photos not working?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
jmic0925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
s2killa
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmic0925 View Post
Are the photos not working?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
yea i didnt get the photos either. but i got an idea but photos will be awesome haha
Unread 02-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

here is my post with pics
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=74082

I WILL UPDATE ALL THE INSTALL INFO
HERE ARE SOME PICTURES.
i think that hardest part is to remove the bumper and to put in your mind that you are going to cut two 2" long lines on you bumper thinking that if you miscalculate you are going to damage your bumper.....

1. remove the front bumper. here is a good info if how to: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/k...emoval-741659/

install the kc light bar.
materials:
4 2" 5/6 bolts
12 5/16 nuts
4 5/6 washers
5/16 drill bit.
4 1" steel spacers i found 3/8" they fit loose but do the job
1. you need to drill an extra hole on the light bar to fit the bumper support

2. drill two holes in the bumper support. they align almost with the vertical line in front of the BS in both sides, maybe couple of millimeter to the center of the vehicle.

3. insert the 2" 5/16" bolts, install washers and nuts

4. you can easily use a socket wrench or wrench to tight the nuts, i suggest to do this once you have the light bar instaled, because this part of the support is little tilted in and making it the bolts tight will make it very hard to install the bar.

5. install the spacers

6. install the kc bar. you may want to tight the nuts at this point to make the markings on the bumper

at first i fitted the bar directly over the spacer, but them i found that i could use another nut elevate the bar 1/4" more.

7. try to install the bumper with out the bar, so you can use the bolts as a reference point to mark the lines to cut the bumper, i used a red pen to do it. use a jig saw and then a tungsten bit on a dremel for this task, ( ill update once i download the other pics)

will update the lenght later. i cut by small increments until it fitted tight

make sure to remove some of the material inside the bumper cover to fit the bar

install the bumper and grill and you are done

had a lot of fun and lot more to come....
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.