Jeep went AIRBORNE avoiding collison. (Pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Jeep went AIRBORNE avoiding collison. (Pics)

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

So I'm minding my own business driving to work and some numbnuts with a death wish pulled out in front of me. I hit the brakes and quickly realized I was not going to stop in time, so instead I floored it and took the jeep off road, I hit the curb, went up a hump and was airborne for over 50 feet! The butthole started to drive off but changed his mind when I jumped out in my sheriff uniform and "politely requested" him to pull over.

Proof: skidmark pics

The guy on the right is one of our agency's accident investigators. He's standing a few feet in front of where I went airborne. When I landed my skid plates dug a hole.
image-4262852761.jpg

This is the view from where I took off to where I landed.
image-881360374.jpg

This is where I finally came to a stop.
image-413671954.jpg

Damage:

Clipped a pole with my mirror. Popped the glass right back on.
image-1932624644.jpg

Flat tire, busted on the curb.
image-694201772.jpg

Lots of grass.
image-3383473101.jpg

image-1460657144.jpg

image-574732289.jpg

image-3763130396.jpg

image-1445785551.jpg

Popped a spare on, took it to the shop next door, jacked it up, knocked all the dirt out from under it and drove to work.

Is there anything in particular I need to get checked out when I take this thing to the dealership?

WHO says KK ain't a real jeep?! The mechanic told me anything with less armor and less clearance it would have been totaled after all that. She was just a little dirty. I think she has earned a name. Hmmmm......

Unread 02-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
wlo2000
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Glad youre alright! and the Jeep too! It is a Jeep, and to get it airbourne, that takes skill! Good looking KK! I'd make sure you didn't break/bend arms, shocks, and other suspension parts. Make sure you don't have a wobble, I did after jumping mine a little bit(Not On Purpose). Good driving!
wlo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Glad to hear your ok bro! Crazy *****. I guess your department has flight instruction too!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue575
Glad to hear your ok bro! Crazy *****. I guess your department has flight instruction too!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Haha actually the guy in the first picture teaches our EVO and Pursuit school. We told him we need an in-service on the driving range with an aviation class. LoL
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Cutelildevil666
2012 KK Liberty 

Not bad! I think that definitely throws the KK into "real jeep" status. Awesome that after all that, you're OK and nobody else got hurt. There's always somebody pulling out in front of us around here. Or stopping to turn. LOL
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Glad you are ok, you could get your alignment checked. Mine was done because and of course can't prove jeep didn't have it set right from the factory.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
brunolambert
2008 KK Liberty 

I'd be interested in the list of mod you did: only bigger tire on stock rim + skids? I need to know everything about your skids.
brunolambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunolambert
I'd be interested in the list of mod you did: only bigger tire on stock rim + skids? I need to know everything about your skids.
Biggest tires I could fit on there with no rub plus I have the factory skid plate group which includes:
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
Front Suspension Skid Plate
Transmission Skid Plate

Under the jeep the only thing exposed is my muffler.

Our accident investigations guy is also a certified accident reconstruction expert and told me that the large tire on the small stock rim took most of the impact off of my front shocks when it blew, and the front suspension skid plate took impact when I went airborne and received most of the impact when I landed. The mechanic said I might have been totaled without the armor. He said I definitely would have been totaled in just about any other vehicle and he is buying a liberty like mine now. (Haha, I wonder what he'd say if he saw an old TJ fitted out with rock crawling armor. LOL!)
Unread 02-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Sent her to Satans lair this morning. :tear: I hope they don't do anything too incredibly stupid to her.
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Sagerist

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. That is pretty insane. You are lucky to not have hit that telephone pole straight on vs just clipping the mirror otherwise you would be telling a whole different story!! The skids definitely did their job (albeit not exactly what they were intended for) by dispersing the impact of the landing throughout the rest of the frame vs the individual components hitting and getting bent, tweaked, torn, etc.

Think you now qualify for this to be put on the jeep!! and by "this" i mean both the shark face logo and the turret gun!

Colorado Jeep Club Member #286
89 YJ 2.5L
OME 36R's, Bilstein 5100's, Bserk 5/8" shackles, 33x10.5 BFG's on 15x8

09 KK Sport 4X4
235/75/16 GY Slnt Armor
CB 2' Firestik
Fire/EMS Radio
Sagerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
PanthersFan
Not old, just older

2007 JK Wrangler 

So, did you get to write the idiot a ticket?
THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.
PanthersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan
So, did you get to write the idiot a ticket?
Kind of a conflict of interest. But I'd have happily booked him if he'd driven off like he started to.
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
DeltaForceB85
2008 KK Liberty 

Satan called today and said his demons found a vibration in the front end and can't figure out the cause.

.........great.
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaForceB85 View Post
Satan called today and said his demons found a vibration in the front end and can't figure out the cause.

.........great.
Body possibly twisted, or maybe even something to do with the front axle?
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

With a hit like that, it could be anything! Holy **** dude. Glad to hear your okay.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.