Jeep kk diesel crd. 2.8 diesel 2010 Maf problems Mass Air flow problems 48000 kms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Jeep kk diesel crd. 2.8 diesel 2010 Maf problems Mass Air flow problems 48000 kms

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
fabioschallbr

Jeep kk diesel crd. 2.8 diesel 2010 Maf problems Mass Air flow problems 48000 kms

My jeep' s check engine light was on so I went to the dealer and according to the computer screening it was a problem with the mass air flow. I replaced it for a new one. The smoke diminished and the engine is working well but it seems to me that the car still not a 100 percent and the check engine light is still on. Did anyone have this problem? If so, is this problem related to something else?

Thank you!

fabioschallbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
koutoukos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabioschallbr
My jeep' s check engine light was on so I went to the dealer and according to the computer screening it was a problem with the mass air flow. I replaced it for a new one. The smoke diminished and the engine is working well but it seems to me that the car still not a 100 percent and the check engine light is still on. Did anyone have this problem? If so, is this problem related to something else? Thank you!
Try to find a hole at the turbo hoses. It's the most common problem for the crd's at approximately 50k km.

Last edited by koutoukos; 12-25-2013 at 09:34 AM..
koutoukos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
MtBJet

Quote:
My jeep' s check engine light was on so I went to the dealer and according to the computer screening it was a problem with the mass air flow. I replaced it for a new one. The smoke diminished and the engine is working well but it seems to me that the car still not a 100 percent and the check engine light is still on. Did anyone have this problem? If so, is this problem related to something else? Thank you!
At 48k kms your MAF should have been fine... With proper maintenance it should last a very long time. If your CEL is still on, it probably wasn't the issue. Did you delete the code or reset the ECU after install of the new MAF?
MtBJet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
MtBJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutoukos
Try to find a hole at the turbo hoses. It's the most common problem for the crd's at approximately 50k km.
Check all of your vacuum lines, not just at the turbo.
Unread 12-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
MtBJet

I should add: a good (proper) way to do this is to pressurize the system, stick your head in the engine bay and listen for hissing. If you can't find it by ear and feel, use a spray bottle filled with a light soap and water solution. Spray the area and you'll see bubbles.

An easy DIY to pressurize the system is to go to your local automotive store, buy a short section of hose that covers the turbo input (where air enters from the MAF) and a rubber valve stem. Then, go to your local hardware store and purchase a PVC cap that fits inside the hose. Oh, at either sore, purchase hose clamps to clamp the hose over the turbo end and the PVC cap. Drill a hole in the PVC cap that will accept the valve stem... It should pop in... If not, use silicone to seal it in. Once all of this is done, clamp the cap into the hose and the other end of the hose to the turbo. Using a regulated air source (you don't want to drive 100 PSI into the system) pressurize the system. A simple bike pump will even work. Then, listen for the hiss(es).
Unread 01-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
fabioschallbr

Good night

I sent my jeep to the dealer to have it checked. They checked all hoses intake and turbo, nothing was wrong. they clear the code error ecu from mass air flow but a day later the check engine was back on. They checked the Eletric wire for mass air flow and does not show any problem. So far Nothing is resolved.

They told me that maybe the ECU is presenting problems.

When they said the ECU could have problems I remembered I installed chip mods in the original wire to make itmore powerful. I used it for four months and after this period I took it away because It was not making any difference, in addition the car began to make more smoke. The check engine only got on three months after I removed the chips mods.

The car continues at the dealer for more tests.

If anyone can give me any direction I would very much appreciate.

Thanks,

By the way, sorry for not replying earlier. I was traveling.
Unread 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
MtBJet

What chip was used? Was it installed/removed properly? Being that the ECU is throwing a MAF code (do you have the specific code?) that narrows the problem down pretty tight. It can be a vacuum/boost leak (+/- unmetered air), a bad MAF sensor or something with the ECU. Considering they have checked all of the hoses/turbo and the MAF sensor (I'm assuming that's what you meant by "electric wire") that almost completely narrows it down to the ECU. If you're still getting darker exhaust (smoke) this could explain it. The ECU could be misreading the voltage from the MAF, think the engine is running lean and be throwing more fuel than needed at it. Just a thought.
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
fabioschallbr

Hello,

Thanks again.

I checked the chip I used and confirmed it modifies the signal from the ECU.

The link is below (don't mean do give any trouble, just in case you want to check).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chip-Tuning-...item19db7388b5

About the chip installed, I just plugged in the common rail fuel pressor sensor. The other plug was connected as bypass in the original harness. To remove I just unplugged, nothing else.

At the dealer they told me they checked the signal in the harness sensor to ECU and it was ok. I believe they have not checked the vacumm boost leak yet.

About the smoke exhausts, when the car is in the idle march rpm it does not make smoke. The smoke only appears when the accelerator is used to put power in the car

About the code error, the dealer plugged the computer to my car and onlu one code error problem appeared. It was with MAF only nothing else.

Thanks any help
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

Do you know the code ?? p0???
RENE65 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
koutoukos

Unread 01-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #11
koutoukos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabioschallbr View Post
Hello,

I believe they have not checked the vacumm boost leak yet.
My strong advice to you is not to do anything else before they check it...
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #12
fabioschallbr

Hello everybody

The call me at dealer place this morning and told me they find a Hose with damage PN 55037958AB from admission . I ask if the dealer is sure this is the problem with check engine ligth . They not confirm only tell me they need replace first to check.

The picture of the house is attached.

This hose is from Charge air cooler Inlet can be??

Thanks
mangueira.jpg  
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #13
MtBJet

Quote:
Hello everybody The call me at dealer place this morning and told me they find a Hose with damage PN 55037958AB from admission . I ask if the dealer is sure this is the problem with check engine ligth . They not confirm only tell me they need replace first to check. The picture of the house is attached. This hose is from Charge air cooler Inlet can be?? Thanks
That could totally be the problem. When the engine is running under vacuum it will be pulling unmetered air into the engine and when the engine is under boost it's pushing metered air out, so the engine is always looking for a certain metered volume but it's not there. This would also be the cause of the smoke. When you're on the accelerator, you're under boost. The MAF reads a certain amount of air, which it tells the ECU. The ECU then tells the fuel pumps to dump in the fuel needed for that amount of air. Since that amount of air isn't there (leaking out of the intercooler [charged air] hose) you're running rich... And that's what's causing the smoke.
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #14
MtBJet

Oh, and yes, this would also cause a MAF related CEL.
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #15
fabioschallbr

I will order the hose

But in the dealer here they not have because this car is only UK or AU market . iam in US . Any one know where I can order fast this hose 55037958AB ??

Thanks a lot for your help MTBJET

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.