Jeep Electric Vehicle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Jeep Electric Vehicle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Jeep Electric Vehicle

Chrysler put their electric vehicle program on hold after the bankruptcfiling. Now it on again. The wrangler was chosen to head the jeep lineup. Here are the specs.

Chrysler has released a spec sheet for the 2010 Jeep Wrangler EV 4WD electric vehicle. Given the weight and aerodynamics of the Jeep, the performance and efficiency numbers are very impressive. Here is a summary:

Electrical drive system:

Power: 268 HP (200 kw)

Torque: 295 lbs-ft. (400 nM)

Performance:

0-60: 9.0 seconds

1/4 Mile: 16.5 seconds

Top Speed: 90 MPH+

Range: 400 miles total, 1st 40 miles all electric

Battery:

Type: Lithium-Ion

Energy: 27 kWh

Voltage: 370-410

Charging: Standard household 110/220 or 220/240

2010_jeep_wrangler_ext_2.jpg   154_0901_04_z-jeep_wrangler_ev-gas_cap.jpg   chrysler-electric-drive.jpg  
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

It is technically a hybrid.

The electric Wrangler looks pretty much like a typical '07-'09 JK Unlimited. But the Jeep EV Range-extended Electric Vehicle uses an electric motor, an advanced lithium-ion battery system, and a small gasoline engine with an integrated electric generator to produce additional energy to power the electric-drive system when needed. The 200 kW (268 horsepower) electric motor generates 400 N•m (295 lb-ft.) of torque. With approximately eight gallons of gasoline, the Jeep EV has a range of 400 miles, including 40 miles of zero fuel-consumption, zero-emissions, all-electric operation. For more info on the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep electric vehicles
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool. Charging on standard household circuits is a bit disingenuous - to recharge that battery on 110 will likely take close to 24 hours. Kudos for the capability, though - it could come in handy to "top off".

I am worried about Lithium-Ion batteries, though... Their service lives seem to be exceedingly short - a couple years or so before they are seriously depleted. What will the cost be to replace them every other year or so?

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Cool. Charging on standard household circuits is a bit disingenuous - to recharge that battery on 110 will likely take close to 24 hours. Kudos for the capability, though - it could come in handy to "top off".
I am worried about Lithium-Ion batteries, though... Their service lives seem to be exceedingly short - a couple years or so before they are seriously depleted. What will the cost be to replace them every other year or so?
Yes that is my concern too... the lithium-ion batteries. This kid swapped out an inline 6 from a cherokee and installed a set of lithium batteries, and he is having the same problem of battery life. Kudos to this Kid though

DriveEV.com: JeepEV - Jeep Cherokee EV conversion
infront2.jpg  
Unread 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty View Post
It is technically a hybrid.

The electric Wrangler makes 200 kW (268 horsepower) electric motor generates 400 N•m (295 lb-ft.) of torque. With approximately eight gallons of gasoline, the Jeep EV has a range of 400 miles, including 40 miles of zero fuel-consumption, zero-emissions, all-electric operation. For more info on the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep electric vehicles
RivalArrival, look at the specs of that EV wrangler. Very impressive!!! With 8 gallons of gas you can travel 400 miles, I can get about 130 miles of city driving in my liberty
Unread 11-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
MtnLuvr
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
RivalArrival, look at the specs of that EV wrangler. Very impressive!!! With 8 gallons of gas you can travel 400 miles, I can get about 130 miles of city driving in my liberty
400 miles based upon some assumed average speed, probably highway speeds. But how long would it last with heavy torque demand and slow speed of wheeling?
MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs
MtnLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
COLORADO
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am not interested in driving a coal burner, I'll stick to oil.
COLORADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLuvr View Post
400 miles based upon some assumed average speed, probably highway speeds. But how long would it last with heavy torque demand and slow speed of wheeling?
Yes, it is highway miles. Mileage wise, It would perform poorly during 4 wheeling and rock crawling, I would think. but 295 ft lbs of torque at all 4 wheels is 4 w lo dream.
Unread 11-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADO View Post
I am not interested in driving a coal burner, I'll stick to oil.
The electric car will not replace the internal combustion engine, but for the environment and dependancy on foreign oil, electricity is an excellent alternative.
Unread 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

This is a pics of the electric wrangler interior and drivetrain. notice no shifter.
jeepevsteeringwheel.jpg   080923-jeep_ev_interior-09.jpg   3230885131_13ccc439d6.jpg   3231735850_674e4544e0.jpg  
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #11
alex725
2009 XK Commander 

If they bring these out..sign me up for the lease because Im in! I do about 50 miles a day so I would fill up maybe once a month on it? I could do the volt but Im not driving one of those..Ill take the Jeep!
alex725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
400 miles is 8 gallons of gas + 24 hours of running a space heater or 6 hours of running a dryer. It gets 360 miles on 8 gallons, 40 on batteries. Still an impressive 45mpg.

I did some rough calculations... Someone may want to check my math.

Given the 27kWh battery pack, it would likely take at least 30 to 36 kWh to recharge. That's the equivalent of running an electric space heater on "high" 20 to 24 hours a day, or an electric dryer 5 to 6 hours. That first 40 miles would cost me $4.50 to $5.10 in electricity ($0.15/kWh). Even assuming just the 27kWh capacity and 100% efficiency in power transfer, we're looking at $4.05.

Gasoline currently costs me $2.90/gallon, and each gallon would get a purported 45 miles. The cost for that first 40 miles under gasoline power would be ~$2.58.

LIon batteries are lightweight, but I've always been under the impression that they lose 10-15% of their initial capacity/year. Is that the case for these automotive-grade battery packs? And how expensive are these packs to replace?

But, there are numerous advantages to electric vs ICE tractive effort. The torque curves of electric motors are amazing - look at a diesel-electric locomotive. I don't know how well the motor in this Jeep will handle low-speed, high-torque, but it should be fairly impressive.

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Unread 11-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Cool computer screen, Batman.

As long as there are going to be Jeeps in the future, I have no problem with them being electric.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Not to mention, the inital cost of ownership the tech brings, and the resale value afterward shoots down because of software, batteries, and other electronic appliance woes.

Granted, you can get all kinds of "rebates" from the .gov, if you make enough to qualify, and if you like suckling at that teat.

My take: Cool tech, but develop it more till you can get the energy efficency of a gallon of gas.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #15
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Not to mention, the inital cost of ownership the tech brings, and the resale value afterward shoots down because of software, batteries, and other electronic appliance woes.

Granted, you can get all kinds of "rebates" from the .gov, if you make enough to qualify, and if you like suckling at that teat.

My take: Cool tech, but develop it more till you can get the energy efficency of a gallon of gas.
It already has that. It's more efficient on gasoline than a comparable, non-electric wrangler. Just don't assume that because you can plug it in, you'll see savings.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.