Interstate battery. Is it needed to get the big boy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Interstate battery. Is it needed to get the big boy

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 11-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

My factory battery has hit the 5 year mark and I want to pick one up before winter. Interstate has one for $135 and then a heavy duty one for $250, I've heard mentions on here about going for the big battery. But it's hard to justify close to Christmas with 4 kids, opinions?? Extra umph Needed?

"if it's on the internet, it must be true" ~ Abraham Lincoln

At The Helm Roof Rack & Front Recovery System
bwsooner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Well, has your battery shown any fatigue, perhaps test it . If not I would say just keep it until it goes bad. I have seen batteries last 12 years. Maybe just keep saving up this way you are ready when it's time.
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I was looking at those a while back. Interstate used to be one of the best. Here's the burn, they were bought out by Johnson Controls, the same company that ruined optima. :-(
I haven't heard anything about them one way or the other but you may want to do a little research first.
Odessey seems to be pretty good.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsooner6 View Post
My factory battery has hit the 5 year mark and I want to pick one up before winter. Interstate has one for $135 and then a heavy duty one for $250, I've heard mentions on here about going for the big battery. But it's hard to justify close to Christmas with 4 kids, opinions?? Extra umph Needed?

"if it's on the internet, it must be true" ~ Abraham Lincoln
Best bet is to go to Sears and buy either the Platinum series P1(top post only) or P4(dual posts) which are a direct fit for your Jeep.Best warranty out there also and some of the time you can hit a sale and get it for $200 or less.

The gray Platinum series batteries are made by Odyssey,only the gray cased Platinum series batteries.
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

Best bet is to go to Sears and buy either the Platinum series P1(top post only) or P4(dual posts) which are a direct fit for your Jeep.Best warranty out there also and some of the time you can hit a sale and get it for $200 or less.

The gray Platinum series batteries are made by Odyssey,only the gray cased Platinum series batteries.
I thought sears had them too but I wasn't sure.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
bwsooner6
Apprentice

2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I am guessing this is the Platinum gray you spoke of?

So it's between the gray above and this Gold Series one
At The Helm Roof Rack & Front Recovery System
bwsooner6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsooner6 View Post
I'd go with the Platinum series.The gold series is made by Johnson controls if I remember right and made for more temperate southern climates.

Don't let the bad reviews of the Platinum series steer you away,they all are from the mis-use of the side terminals which are not there for high amp load draws.All side terminal battery's have the same issues and why the biggest user of side terminal batteries(GM) switched back to top post terminals a few years ago.Those side terminals are for small amp draw accessories like lights.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.