Improving KK Handling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Improving KK Handling

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

Improving KK Handling

What are the recommended steps to improve the handling on the KK without lifting the ride height? I'm not quite ready for a lift for warranty/financial reasons, but I can put a few bucks into the suspension/handling system to make it ride and handle better.

Would poly bushings on the track bars help? Bwoody sway bar links? Any other bars, bushings, or arms that can be replaced and used with the stock struts/shocks to improve handling?

I know that the 'improvements' might be relative and the opinion of the owner, but to me the car feels mushy, soft, bounces around too much, and doesn't turn too terribly well...

Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Buying a jeep for the "handling" is like buying one for the gas mileage.

That being said, get some new front struts and rear shocks. The Bilsteins that came with my JBA lift took care of the mushy , soft, and bouncing around you describe.

Not sure what you mean by "doesn't turn too terribly well" as mine has a fantastically tight turn radius. If you mean that you cant do the emergency lane change test you see on TV , that's from the deliberately slow R&P steering that was probably engineered that way to keep you from rolling your "dangerously top heavy" SUV. Adding poly bushings wont improve on your still new rubber bushings as much as good shocks and struts will. They will however make the harshness of the road's cracks and potholes much more unpleasant.

What are you running for tires?

I guarantee that you will like your vehicles ride much better with a good set of shocks and proper tires than all of the poly razzmatazz you can find on the innerweb
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

I'm not looking to be in a racecar, haha. I'm also not an 18 year old throwing all kinds of cheap garbage into his car. I was just posing a question to see if anyone had done anything besides a full spring/shock/coil kit that helped them notice a difference in handling. I'm aware of what a jeep can and can't do.

I have BFG AT's on the KK right now.
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Musclez has the BWoody sway bars and loves them
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What size are your bfg's?
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyvac View Post
I'm not looking to be in a racecar, haha. I'm also not an 18 year old throwing all kinds of cheap garbage into his car. I was just posing a question to see if anyone had done anything besides a full spring/shock/coil kit that helped them notice a difference in handling. I'm aware of what a jeep can and can't do.

I have BFG AT's on the KK right now.
My liberty(granted a KJ) handles better,brakes better,corners better,and generally feels better overall when I added 2000lbs weight,lifted it 9",scraped the IFS,added 35x12.50x15 tires,and run only the Currie AntiRock front swaybar.
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I think JBA sells suspension components meant to seriously upgrade the KK without lifting it at the same time... someone correct me if I'm wrong. JBA's adjust a struts are developed from racing hardware. Of course, I would want the lift too if I was spending time and $$ fixing up the suspension.
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

The squish is coming from the stock springs. Nothing you can do about that but replace them with springs of heavier weight which will lift it a little. The BWoody sway bar links are supposed to help and can still be used if you decide to lift it. My OME springs make an incredible difference with the cornering.
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yes just replacing shocks will do little for handling, you have to do a complete system to balance everything out .
Stock springs and shocks are made to provide a very soft ride since thats what soccer Moms want, not good handling if you push them any at all
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
What size are your bfg's?
255/70r16
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

It seems that the best thing to do is just save money for some OME springs and bilstein shocks. I'll give the bwoody arms a thought too.

I shouldn't need the a-arms with a 3" lift correct? The rest of the stock hardware is good to go...?
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

For the few dollars more it cost I would go full OME springs and shocks. They are a matched system . With only using them you'll not need the JBA UCAs although they are a nice upgrade with replaceable ball joints etc

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.