Im afraid to buy this '08 Jeep liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Im afraid to buy this '08 Jeep liberty

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Tevihn

Im afraid to buy this '08 Jeep liberty

So I've been preapproved for 17 grand. And after a ton of searching and test driving i finally got my hands on an '08 Liberty Limited. I absolutely LOVED driving it. Fell for it instantly. But there are 2 major problems with it that I've heard a lot of people have.
First, a bit about the '08 Liberty Limited.
RWD, 58,178 on the Odometer. Priced at $16,678.79 After taxes (completely out the door price)
And here is a link for more info (Also something very important i want to bring to everyones attention is on the 21st picture, please look at it)
http://www.westtexasnissan.com/2008-...TX/vd/15746602

- The SkySlider at one point had been(and may still be) leaking, there is a bit of water damage on the headliner. And has even made the headliner fall down a bit. I was told that they will fix/replace the headliner and that they will fix the SkySlider. Im not purchasing this Liberty from a Jeep dealership btw, but a Nissan one.
And if you look at the 21st picture in the link i provided, youll see the water damage on the headliner, mostly towards the front by the windshield. There is no other water damage that i can see anywhere else.

-Problem #2 ; When we first test drove it and brought it back to the dealership, my salesman went to take it back to its spot and the vehicle wouldnt start. I dont know much about vehicles but i know it was the battery and the mechanic who looked at it agreed. Ive heard that sound before and i know it was a dead battery. Thats not the problem though, not entirely at least. We replaced the battery, and went on another test drive the same day. While driving it the Battery light lit up. And i wont find out until later today (in about 2 hours) why exactly that happened.

I know this is a lot to read, but I LOVE this vehicle. And would really like to own it. Does anyone know if there is a permanent fix for the SkySlider? Im even willing to seal it shut if thats a guaranteed (or just about guaranteed) fix. Thank you so much for reading over this post, please help!

Tevihn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Im sure prices can vary some depending on your location, but you can do better, I paid 18,900 for my 2012 4x4. If you have a gut feeling about issues and can see that it leaked, I would go find another. There are fewer of them out there I know since they stopped making them, but never feel like you HAVE to get any car, it never works out well.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevihn View Post
Im afraid to buy this '08 Jeep liberty
Then DON'T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerr47 View Post
for If you have a gut feeling about issues and can see that it leaked, I would go find another. There are fewer of them out there I know since they stopped making them, but never feel like you HAVE to get any car, it never works out well.
^^ this
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Might have better luck posting this in the KK section. It's also a two wheel drive and not 4x4. That's a turn off for me. Just my opinion.

EDIT: That's not a Sky Slider. That's a moon/sun roof. My guess is they probably just left it open during a rain storm.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
56Mercgal
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

It looks like it has a regular sunroof, which I haven't seen too much on the newer Liberty's. They all had the funky huge Skyslider cloth-type roof. I do see the water damage, probably will soon have rust issues around that area,too.
56Mercgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

No way I'd buy that even if it was 4x4.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

U should be able to buy a 2012 with lower miles and a 4x4 for 18 to 19k don't buy that one . Resale on a two wheel drive jeep is very sad. Like having a high performance corvette or mustang with a Honda engine.
Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Halloween

For an 08'. - pass. U can do better. The scales tip a tad to far to the no side for me
Halloween is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

Have u looked at car max?they had quite a few nice libertys when I was looking but I bought new since I got a nice 4k rebate off the price.
Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
AtTheHelm

I'd pass

Looks like there is rear bumper damage, and hard to tell from the pics but maybe a dent in the rear hatch. Wonder what happened when the chain loop broke off the receiver? Also think its overpriced esp considering its 2wd. Yes its a limited but the leather seats are the only thing I'd take over my sport.

Just for comparison I bought my 2010 4x4 sport w 1,500 miles on it in July of 2010 for $18,200.

I'd say take your time and keep looking.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #11
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Like Cobra said check out Carmax. You know what your going to pay before you even look at the vehicle.

I looked at a limited 08 Liberty at a Nissan dealership and just like you I loved it. I took it for a test drive and it felt seemed great. I got it back to the dealer and other than it smelling like dog on the inside it was great.

My wife happened to notice the running boards and entire underneath was covered in rust. Not that big of a deal I figured that would be my advantage during negotiating.

The next was the car fax and the Liberty with 40k miles had 3 previous owners. That was a red flag for me. Why would 3 different people buy a car and then sell it not long after.

They weren't really negotiating until some guy like the dad out of Matilda came in wanting to make the deal. I ended up walking out the door because it just didn't feel right.

Im so glad I didn't buy on impulse and listened to my wife's and my concerns.

If it doesn't feel right then don't do it. A vehicle is a huge purchase so don't Rush it.
LKWJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #12
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

I would definitely pass on that. I know you can find much better for that price. If you want to charge almost $17k for a used KK, it better be a year or 2 old, very low mileage, 4x4 and extremely clean.

Shop around, there were alot of KKs made, you can definitely find something you like and in better shape for your price.
Unread 08-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I paid $19,900 for a 4x4 one owner 70th Anniversary Limited with every option and 22k miles. I would'nt go near the 08.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
Murrari
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stay away.
Unread 08-23-2013, 02:16 AM   #15
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree. I wouldn't buy that. For all the reasons listed above.

You were smart to come on here for advice , but if you are in love with it like you say , and you do have to have it, tell them 12K out the door with warranty of at least 12m/12000 or you walk. plain and simple.
Don't let them dick you around. You don't care what BS they tell you. You gotta be willing to walk and start toward the door. its an 08 2wd with water stains, electrical gremlins and towing damage. They aint into it for more than 10K
here's some comps... it would be worth the drive
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/ctd/3974240872.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/3925238710.html

http://odessa.craigslist.org/search/...17000&hasPic=1
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.