Ignition barrel removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Ignition barrel removal

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 09-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
jonnieboy
2009 KK Liberty 

Ignition barrel removal

Hi, before I try for myself, I thought I'd see if anyone knows the answer...

If I remove the ignition barrel, will the steering lock engage when the wheel is turned? Or does removal of the barrel defeat the locking mechanism?

Thanks in advance,
Jon

jonnieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnieboy View Post
Hi, before I try for myself, I thought I'd see if anyone knows the answer...

If I remove the ignition barrel, will the steering lock engage when the wheel is turned? Or does removal of the barrel defeat the locking mechanism?

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Are you replacing the cylinder its self or something else?
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
jonnieboy
2009 KK Liberty 

I'm planning to fit a push-button ignition/start over the steering column keyhole. Options available to remove the steering lock are - leaving the shaft of a key in the barrel turned to IGN and the top of the key cut off, cutting the locking pin after removing the steering wheel etc or - and this is the reason for the question - removing the lock barrel... I was wondering if anyone who had changed the barrel could confirm if the steering lock engages in this scenario?
Unread 10-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Slayers
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnieboy View Post
I'm planning to fit a push-button ignition/start over the steering column keyhole. Options available to remove the steering lock are - leaving the shaft of a key in the barrel turned to IGN and the top of the key cut off, cutting the locking pin after removing the steering wheel etc or - and this is the reason for the question - removing the lock barrel... I was wondering if anyone who had changed the barrel could confirm if the steering lock engages in this scenario?
I am not sure what you are looking to do would work.

When you work are working on the barrell you have to put the key in the on position to remove it.

Doing that you will not be able to lock the steering wheel.

Cars that have that option already installed will have an electronic lock on the steering wheel which will keep it locked when off the Jeep has a manual lock that comes off the cylinder it's self.
Slayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
jonnieboy
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayers View Post
I am not sure what you are looking to do would work.

Doing that you will not be able to lock the steering wheel.
By not working - you mean there would be no steering lock anymore? I'm aware of that... I'm figuring out the best way to remove the steering lock.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.