JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   If you have a KK with 20K + on the clock take a look underneath. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/if-you-have-kk-20k-clock-take-look-underneath-1397256/)

Poncherello 07-24-2012 09:50 PM

If you have a KK with 20K + on the clock take a look underneath.

Recently, I had an issue with my KK at 24.8K on the clock. Oil was leaking from the rear crank seal and dripping down on the garage floor. After using a rental for 3 days, the dealership spent 5.5hours working on it, added a dye replaced a bunch of seals and gaskets. It is still under manufacturer warranty but if it wasn't it would of costed me $1023.00.

I now have 26,000 on it and the leak came back and it's worst. I smell oil from the car after I drive it and looking underneath I see oil dripping down along the rear of the oil pan right over drain plug. This is driving me nutz :(

bagwell 07-25-2012 06:39 AM

wonderful :(

did they pay for the rental?

thanks for the heads up.

musclezmarinara 07-25-2012 10:27 AM

Call jeep or ask the JEEPCARES handle on here

mickey53usa 07-25-2012 02:07 PM

Have 26K on my 2008 with Automatic, have not had any leaks.

1911lover 07-25-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey53usa (Post 13919233)
Have 26K on my 2008 with Automatic, have not had any leaks.

33k on an '08 auto, no leaks so far.

Poncherello 07-25-2012 11:31 PM

Well, I called the dealership today, I am taking it on Tues, next week and they're giving me rental. I think it's costing $5 a day. I talkeda mechanic friend of mine he said the 3.7's are pretty solid. He thinks from what I described it could be, a thruster bushing or bearing. He thinks the crankshaft is wiggling around do to this bushing or bearing not working right cause a leak out of the seal. He said, they should of picked up on it the first time around. Anyway worst case scenario they need to replace the motor.

Also you can smell a strong scent of burnt oil after a short drive :(

Thanks for the tips I'll keep you all posted.

Zak62592 07-29-2012 06:05 PM

Sounds strange, 58k on mine no leaks

Poncherello 08-01-2012 10:33 PM

Well, took it into Dealership, and the crank seal is leaking again. The Dealership is trying to blame it on sand getting up in the bell housing causing abrasion to the seal make it leak. All I do is simple drive it on the beach so I can serf fish. The dealership asked me if I had driven through any water recently. I told them that it rained by me and I drove through a large puddle of water recently that built up under a bridge from rain. A good friend ex-mechanic told me that crank seal is suppose to keep oil in the motor and containments out driving on the beach should not effect it. The dealership then said they will try and contact Chrysler to receive a better designed seal. I told them I don't want this vehicle back if it is still leaking oil.

So it looks like tomorrow, I will be calling Chrysler Corp and perhaps a lawyer. Quite dismal :( Sorry Guys as much as I really love this Jeep it seems to be falling short. What's sad it's garage kept and only has 26.8K on the clock.

Any ideas of how else to handle this?

bagwell 08-02-2012 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncherello (Post 13957941)
Any ideas of how else to handle this?

speak to the service manager and get a final answer on whether they will fix it or not...."I just need to know whether you will fix the vehicle or not"...if not, tell him you will be calling Chrysler corporate as well as retaining a lawyer....don't get TOO pissed off or rude with him...just tell him what you are going to do.

Bumble2012 08-02-2012 11:42 AM

The New Jersey Lemon Law applies to cars, personal trucks and motorcycles, both purchased and leased, which suffer a nonconformity; a defect or condition, which substantially impairs the use, value or safety; that cannot be repaired after three attempts by an authorized manufacturer's dealership. This nonconformity must first occur within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. The New Jersey Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair twenty (20) or more calendar days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first), and those which have a serious defect which could cause bodily harm or death that is not fixed after one repair attempt.

I have gone this route in the past with GM and won. Just be patient, the third times(fix) the charm. After that contact the Better Business Bureau and open a Lemon law complaint against them. In my case, I was called two days before my arbitration because they realized that it was cut and dry that their was a defect in the vehicle (oil leak). I ended up getting a brand new vehicle (full sticker value, my choice of vehicle) even though it had been over a year and they just transferred the new collateral to the old loan. So even though I drove their piece of poo for a year, it ended up being on their dime. Just make sure you keep all documentation and take lots of pictures. Also, write down every person name, day you spoke to them, etc. who you talk to about it. They hate people that are informed with evidence to back up their claim.

Hope this helps.;)

Poncherello 08-05-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumble2012 (Post 13960072)
The New Jersey Lemon Law applies to cars, personal trucks and motorcycles, both purchased and leased, which suffer a nonconformity; a defect or condition, which substantially impairs the use, value or safety; that cannot be repaired after three attempts by an authorized manufacturer's dealership. This nonconformity must first occur within the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first. The New Jersey Lemon Law also applies to vehicles that are in the shop for repair twenty (20) or more calendar days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles (whichever comes first), and those which have a serious defect which could cause bodily harm or death that is not fixed after one repair attempt.

I have gone this route in the past with GM and won. Just be patient, the third times(fix) the charm. After that contact the Better Business Bureau and open a Lemon law complaint against them. In my case, I was called two days before my arbitration because they realized that it was cut and dry that their was a defect in the vehicle (oil leak). I ended up getting a brand new vehicle (full sticker value, my choice of vehicle) even though it had been over a year and they just transferred the new collateral to the old loan. So even though I drove their piece of poo for a year, it ended up being on their dime. Just make sure you keep all documentation and take lots of pictures. Also, write down every person name, day you spoke to them, etc. who you talk to about it. They hate people that are informed with evidence to back up their claim.

Hope this helps.;)

Thanks so much!. for the info. I been reading over the "Lemon Law" and how it pertains to Jersey residents. In the meantime, I been real nice to the Dealership. Because of my warranty they had given me a rental to use. The first time was an 11'GC - rode beautiful, the second time 12' Silverado LT Crew Cab - awesome truck I would still take the Ram over it lol.

Anyways, Dealer called me and told me that since I ride it out on the beach, the sand is getting up underneath the bellhousing. The sand's abrassiveness is causing the seal to wear out and leak.

I told them first, I only serf fish on the beach and no heavy wheeling and more importantly, if this was the case, you would see a ton more Liberties in the shop for the same thing. I said I bought a Jeep because of it's capability, if you guys are telling me to stay off the beach with it, I should of gotten a Nissan or Toyota, what's the point.

The dealership ended by replacing my seal, took pictures of everything and said they had Chrysler engineering on the phone and nobody knows why it's doing what it is doing. Chrysler has not experienced this issue any Liberty. They said the crankshaft thruster bearing is fine as well as other internals.

I told them to test run it in 4wd- they didn't but said they test drove it for about 6 miles. So we will see what happens when I go out again :(

marlon_jbt 08-06-2012 09:48 AM

Sucks that you are going through that. I have three times the miles you have on my 2010, and mine doesn't leak... anywhere.
My sister is getting real close to 100k on her 3.7L KJ, and it's just as dry as a desert.

Poncherello 08-07-2012 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marlon_jbt (Post 13978040)
Sucks that you are going through that. I have three times the miles you have on my 2010, and mine doesn't leak... anywhere.
My sister is getting real close to 100k on her 3.7L KJ, and it's just as dry as a desert.

I am glad both you and your sister Libs are running fine. I had heard good things about the 3.7. I was wondering if you "wheel" with yours? This seem to start happening when I am in 4wd and driving on the beach.

Thanks for heads up

marlon_jbt 08-07-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poncherello (Post 13982164)
I am glad both you and your sister Libs are running fine. I had heard good things about the 3.7. I was wondering if you "wheel" with yours? This seem to start happening when I am in 4wd and driving on the beach.

Thanks for heads up

Um, yeah.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ycandothat.jpg

Poncherello 08-08-2012 02:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
LOL! That's awesome! I don't go out nearly that hard on my Lib. Some of the sand is deep on the path but nothing crazy. I should show the dealership your picture and be like his Jeep just runs fine lol.

This is the extent of what I do.

The time now is 07:05 AM.