If I do my own oil changes does it void warranty? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > If I do my own oil changes does it void warranty?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
Remember its their warranty they write the rules and they have to approve the repair based on the guidelines that they make. What does it say in the manual about changing your own oil? I have not looked but I would bet its not mentioned. So yes they might approve the repair and if not you might win in court as you say but would you really want all that hassle over an oil change?
Before Congress acted, that was the case, but not anymore. If they write a warranty, it must be compliant with the Mag-Moss Act. In basic terms, if they require you to use only their filters, and their oil, and they service it to maintain the warranty, then the services must be rendered free of charge. Even if you have your repairs and oil changes done at the dealer, you are still solely responsible for keeping receipts to show proof of work. It is not their responsibility to maintain a database of your Jeep for the next 50 years.

streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #17
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I've been doing my own oil changes for probably 20 years. I still own an XJ, but just bought a 2011 Liberty. I registered with Jeep that I was the new owner and they have been sending me service coupons in the mail and via email. I can get an oil change for $16.25 which is even less than I can buy the materials for. So I started taking it to the dealer for oil changes. Maybe if you register your vehicle on the Jeep website you will also get these service coupons. Something to look into.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #18
Steve40th

Besides turning wrenches myself, I like the fact I know what was actually put in it.
And, I dont want to drop the car off and wait, and that is a big inconvenience.
Steve40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
JeepCares

Thanks for the post Stinkbug.

Also, I suggest keeping all dealer repair orders.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #20
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Been driving over 43 years and I have never had someone else do oil changes/tune ups etc and thats even when I worked in dealerships and managed tire shops.
Part of what I enjoy is changing my own oil, knowing what it looks like going in and coming out. Checking everything every time. Of course I'm under my hood at the very least twice a week to make sure everything is OK. Of course every vehicle I ever owned had a whole book dedicated to what was done, when etc and all receipts.
Even when I get those coupons from Jeep I toss them, not sure what oil they use etc so i want to make sure. The last 7 new vehicles I bought new all have went into the 250,000 plus range with no issues
Oh and none have ever been in the dealership for warranty work
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #21
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

I personally do 99.9% of all work on my 2011 Liberty. I don't trust dealerships any more than any other stranger. I check all systems and double check my own work. There's even people on here who have had nightmare experiences. Im not intending to cut down other shops and dealers; Im sure most do excellent work. But with me, I know exactly what is going on because I do it. To be honest, the only heartache I've ever had with warranty was with GM, but that's another story.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I understand where everyone is coming from on the oil change. I also have not been to a shop for 15 or 20 years for anything expect one time now for an oil change on the new Liberty. Normally I do it all myself. The oil change at the dealer was a real good deal, plus it is under warranty and since they changed the oil themselves with the specified oil, they will be responsible for any problems, no questions asked. When it's out of warranty you can bet I'll be doing it myself.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
I understand where everyone is coming from on the oil change. I also have not been to a shop for 15 or 20 years for anything expect one time now for an oil change on the new Liberty. Normally I do it all myself. The oil change at the dealer was a real good deal, plus it is under warranty and since they changed the oil themselves with the specified oil, they will be responsible for any problems, no questions asked. When it's out of warranty you can bet I'll be doing it myself.
Can't blame you.My old man has a Raptor and part of the deal was free oil changes for the entire bumper to bumper warranty.They told him(and was in writing) to bring it in when the oil change light comes on and it will get the correct oil/filter changed for free.He beats the living snot out of it(hey he's dying so why not have some fun) and that oil change light comes on at about 900-1000 miles on average,yes he is that hard on it.Can't beat a free oil change every 3-4 weeks for 3 years.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #24
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sorry to hear about your dad man. With free oil changes, you might as well drive it like you stole it in his case.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.