If I do my own oil changes does it void warranty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > If I do my own oil changes does it void warranty?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineKrawlOff-Road.com Jeep Beach Sale

Unread 09-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Steve40th

If I do my own oil changes does it void warranty?

My Liberty purchase gives me free oil changes , every 5kmiles. But they use semi synthetic blend crap.
I would rather use Group V synthetic oil.
SO, can/will it void warranty?
Please, no oil debate, just warranty advice..

Steve40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Mattyvac
2012 KK Liberty 

I dont believe so?

I only let them do the oil changes because accessing the oil filter is a royal pain in the ***. I would rather pay $80 for two years of oil changes at the stealership than waste my time hassling with that poorly placed oil filter and cut my forearms up.
Mattyvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

If you are concerned save all your receipts for the oil you buy.
LKWJEEPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
RB145
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
My Liberty purchase gives me free oil changes , every 5kmiles. But they use semi synthetic blend crap.
I would rather use Group V synthetic oil.
SO, can/will it void warranty?
Please, no oil debate, just warranty advice..
I have the dealer do all oil changes and then there is never a question. Doing the oil change yourself you have no proof it was ever changed. A receipt that you bought oil means nothing. It doesn't prove it went in that vehicle or that it was ever changed. I myself would not take the chance. By the way blend is not crap and you will get the same life out of the engine if you keep it changed. This is just my opinion of course.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

That's stupid.. I bought oil and just left it in my garage.. Haha right..

That's actually come up and Chrysler did ask for receipts. It was for my brothers vehicle. So before you discount my suggestion get your facts straught.
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
RB145
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
That's stupid.. I bought oil and just left it in my garage.. Haha right..

That's actually come up and Chrysler did ask for receipts. It was for my brothers vehicle. So before you discount my suggestion get your facts straught.
As far as I am concerned you receipt for oil means nothing. The oil could be in you garage or it could be in another vehicle. Who knows what or bought it for or if you were the one that even bought it. Maybe it was your neighbors receipt who knows. With the dealer its tracked by the vin and they have it in there system. So yes I am discounting your suggestion.
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

As long as you have receipts showing you bought product that meets or exceeds OEM specs, it will fall upon the manufacturer to prove negligence on your part. If they do a fluid sample, and the fluid's makeup does not meet design specs, you're up the creek. That's why you should use trans fluid with the correct spec endorsement, etc. If youre engine is sludged up, and you can't show receipts to reasonably demonstrate proper care of the vehicle, you've got a problem. If the engine is clean inside, you have receipts and they try to say you didn't change the oil enough, they are on shaky ground in court. Learn about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and do not be manipulated by the stealers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
RB145
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
As long as you have receipts showing you bought product that meets or exceeds OEM specs, it will fall upon the manufacturer to prove negligence on your part. If they do a fluid sample, and the fluid's makeup does not meet design specs, you're up the creek. That's why you should use trans fluid with the correct spec endorsement, etc. If youre engine is sludged up, and you can't show receipts to reasonably demonstrate proper care of the vehicle, you've got a problem. If the engine is clean inside, you have receipts and they try to say you didn't change the oil enough, they are on shaky ground in court. Learn about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and do not be manipulated by the stealers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act
I agree you would have a strong case if the engine was clean and you had receipts but why go through all that? If they have it in their records then there is no question at all.
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB145 View Post
I agree you would have a strong case if the engine was clean and you had receipts but why go through all that? If they have it in their records then there is no question at all.
So your suggestion is to only go to the dealership to get your oil changed.. So millions of people who do their own oil changes are risking their warranty work.

Dude really? Think about what you are saying..

Also, like i said I've personally seen Chrysler request oil change receipts for repair work on my brother's Commander. Since he does his own oil changes and always have, they requested it as part of their warranty repair.

If you want even more proof go ask Jeepcares. He will further prove my point.

Also, on the receipt when you purchase anything. It shows the last 4 digits of your debit card and usually shows your name. Yeah that doesn't count if your buying in cash.

In Warranty work as well Chrysler has to prove that you were negligent in performing necessary maintenance. The burden of proof is on them as well.
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Since Jeep has instructions in their owners manual telling you how to reset the "Oil Change" light if you change the oil yourself, I think you can feel pretty comfortable not worrying about voiding a warranty...

From the 2013 Wrangler Manual
"If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)/Oil Change Required” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” or under “Instrument Cluster Description/Odometer/Trip Odometer” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information."
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
RB145
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWJEEPER View Post
So your suggestion is to only go to the dealership to get your oil changed.. So millions of people who do their own oil changes are risking their warranty work.

Dude really? Think about what you are saying..

Also, like i said I've personally seen Chrysler request oil change receipts for repair work on my brother's Commander. Since he does his own oil changes and always have, they requested it as part of their warranty repair.

If you want even more proof go ask Jeepcares. He will further prove my point.

Also, on the receipt when you purchase anything. It shows the last 4 digits of your debit card and usually shows your name. Yeah that doesn't count if your buying in cash.

In Warranty work as well Chrysler has to prove that you were negligent in performing necessary maintenance. The burden of proof is on them as well.

I am not saying it would not be covered. They probably would take your receipts and accept that. My point was why take the chance. Remember its their warranty they write the rules and they have to approve the repair based on the guidelines that they make. What does it say in the manual about changing your own oil? I have not looked but I would bet its not mentioned. So yes they might approve the repair and if not you might win in court as you say but would you really want all that hassle over an oil change?
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What does it say in the manual about changing your own oil? I have not looked but I would bet its not mentioned.
See the post above yours it does mention it in the manual and even tells you how to reset the computer when done.

Quote:
but would you really want all that hassle over an oil change?
Why? Because a lot of us find satisfaction in turning wrenches and maintaining / repairing our vehicles. We consider it a benefit of ownership. For me it's part of owning a Jeep.
Unread 09-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You can change your own oil,just keep the receipts just in case as it may come up if a warranty issue arises from a blown engine.Make sure you buy good oil and filters and write down the mileage when you changed it on the receipts.

To maintain your warranty you the owner must show proof of maintenance and show proof of regular maintenance.Having receipts that are dated 1 year or more apart for oil changes will void any warranty on the engine.It is not up to the dealership to prove you did not maintain it,it's in the warranty manual.
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here ya go.... Directly from Page 34 of the 2013 Jeep Vehicle Warranty Guide -
9. Maintenance
9.1 General Information
It’s your responsibility to properly maintain and operate your new vehicle. Follow the instructions contained in the General and Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual. Regular, scheduled maintenance is essential to trouble-free operation. If there is a dispute between you and Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) concerning your maintenance of your vehicle, Chrysler will require you to provide proof that your vehicle was properly maintained.

For your convenience, Chrysler has prepared a Maintenance Log which is included in your Owner’s Manual. You should use this Maintenance Log to keep track of scheduled maintenance, either by routinely having the repairs entered in your Maintenance Log, or by keeping receipts or other documentation of work you’ve had done on your vehicle in your Maintenance Log
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
LKWJEEPER
2009 KK Liberty 

Thanks for posting that

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.