I want to improve my 2011 Liberty + Get Tires. Need input please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > I want to improve my 2011 Liberty + Get Tires. Need input please

Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/ March Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 03-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
IslandJay

I want to improve my 2011 Liberty + Get Tires. Need input please

First off, I LOVE this Jeep. I have owned a few Grand Cherokees in the past, but for some reason, this liberty just feels solid and like a true SUV.

I do need some guidance...

1. I am moving back up to New Hampshire from Florida in a few months. As I have the most inexpensive tires every made on my jeep, I need better. Local Tires Plus and Good year are pushing $950 for wider tires, 60k warranty, + alignment. I would like to know what would be the best all wear tires, great grip, etc knowing I will be dealing with snow and towing a boat. May consider preowned, 90% tread as I have had luck with that before.

2. I have a sport 4x4 model. My wife is teasing me that this jeep, unlike my other 3 from the past, it is not trail rated. She is actually encouraging me to convert it. But what the hell makes it trail rated beyond 4x4 and protective guards underneath? As much as I love this Liberty, it does not strike me at the type of jeep you would accessories/invest $$ into like a wrangler.

thanks!
Jay

IslandJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 03:29 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Hi Jay,

Before my lift, I ran Cooper Discoverer A/T3's and they were great on road / off road & in snow. Quiet too. I would definitely recommend them to anyone still running stock height or a mild lift.

An OME lift is a good suspension upgrade for about $800. Rides so much better than stock. It's something to think about.

Trail rated is just a badge. Yours may not have it if you have 18 inch wheels with short side walled tires. Consider going to 16 inch rims if you do. There will be more tire choices available for the 16x7 size, and you will get a better ride on a daily basis, and you can air down offroad. If you have 4x4, that's what you need!

There are plenty of ways to modify your KK Liberty. I made a partial list of basic repairs and mods here: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...?f=104&t=80240
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

you can do a few things to make your KK stand out from the crowd.
dscn8616.jpg   dscn4196.jpg  
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

To get the trail rated badge you needed 16" rims and 4x4 from the factory. Pretty pointless.

If you want to wheel it then 16s would be the best size rim, get skids, and a good set of tires. If you want to go bigger then a lift will be needed.

Take a look at most of our Jeeps. A lot of us are lifted. Me and a few others are at the 3.5-4" range which is the limit for the KK.
Unread 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
To get the trail rated badge you needed 16" rims and 4x4 from the factory. Pretty pointless.
Agreed BMXer... but it also includes the 17's on the Limited. Mine is trail rated but doesn't have the 18" chrome wheels instead it has the much nicer (in my opinion) 5 spoke 17" wheels... and the pointless badge.

2010 Jeep Liberty Limited
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2015, 03:32 PM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandJay View Post
First off, I LOVE this Jeep. I have owned a few Grand Cherokees in the past, but for some reason, this liberty just feels solid and like a true SUV.

I do need some guidance...

1. I am moving back up to New Hampshire from Florida in a few months. As I have the most inexpensive tires every made on my jeep, I need better. Local Tires Plus and Good year are pushing $950 for wider tires, 60k warranty, + alignment. I would like to know what would be the best all wear tires, great grip, etc knowing I will be dealing with snow and towing a boat. May consider preowned, 90% tread as I have had luck with that before.

2. I have a sport 4x4 model. My wife is teasing me that this jeep, unlike my other 3 from the past, it is not trail rated. She is actually encouraging me to convert it. But what the hell makes it trail rated beyond 4x4 and protective guards underneath? As much as I love this Liberty, it does not strike me at the type of jeep you would accessories/invest $$ into like a wrangler.

thanks!
Jay
And why not ??
Lots of KJs and KKs out there that are more modded than 87.645 % of the Wranglers
Unread 03-31-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

Sawzall

you need to rip out the springs A arms, and replace with JBA or OME lifts Duratracs and peel the bumpers off with your hands, and then bolt some of ATthehelms Bubpers for and aft and then use your imagination, Rails roofracks sorry..............JMO
Unread 04-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
IslandJay

I know ebay is likely a source, but where is the best source for parts? Any list of common mods for the KK?
IslandJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 08:14 PM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandJay View Post
I know ebay is likely a source, but where is the best source for parts? Any list of common mods for the KK?
Fleabay will get you spacer lifts, 10 inch wide wheels with 3 inches of backspacing and squirrel tails off the antennae not a good way to go

First read through what people have done, get a plan together on how you want yours to look, what you are going to do with it etc . Then read and ask a lot of questions.
Building one to cruise the mall is a lot different than one actually going off road
Unread 04-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #10
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

We are limited on what our choices are on most mods, but its still possible to change these to look "meaner".

Like others said, 3 inch lift with OME springs, Als A arms better shocks, lil bigger and better tires and your on your way to going anywhere you need to get. I did this , also added ATH front recovery bar, ATH roof rack, skids, and a pair of PIAA lights on the front bumper. Its coming along nicely. My brother has a TJ that doesnt have this many mods. Of coarse he has a whole lot more choices of what he can do to it.
rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.