How's the 3.7 compared to a ZJ's 4.0? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > How's the 3.7 compared to a ZJ's 4.0?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 09-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

How's the 3.7 compared to a ZJ's 4.0?

Hey folks. I am looking to upgrade my ride and the KK is on my short list of potential vehicles.

Has anyone upgraded from a ZJ or WJ Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 I6 engine? What is your opinion of the power difference?

I ask because I have found both my ZJ and a friend's WJ can barely get out of their own way. I am wondering if it is as bad on the Liberty? Specifically I am referring to slight inclines on the highway and passing power.

Thanks so much from a Jeep lover and prospective KK owner!

cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Well I can tell you my wife's KK can get up and go better than my XJ. Granted, the XJ is turning 33x12.50s and steelies but the I6 is torquey and reliable while the 3.7 is smooth and quick - reliable to this point as well.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Towards the end of the run of the 4.0's, I started seeing reliability problems with the engine. To me, they felt almost anemic as well. Their power band was about 1k-2k rpm lower then the 3.7L, so though they had more low end torque relatively speaking, they flat out ran out of steam when you reached the midrange. I'm running a 6speed, with the stock 3.55 gears, and at 6000 feet I have no issues.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The 3.7 actually retains oil instead of leaking it and requiring a new valve cover gasket,oil pan gasket,and rear main seal every 30k.
Unread 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

I have a 4.0 XJ, 4.7 WJ, and 3.7 KK in the driveway. Obviously the 4.7 doesn't matter here. The 3.7 is much peppier than the 4.0 but the compare is of a 113K mile 4.0 versus a 30K mile 3.7 so it's a tough sell. No disappointments in the 3.7 but it's no 4.7 and the gas mileage sucks on them all.
fosterjd79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterjd79 View Post
I have a 4.0 XJ, 4.7 WK, and 3.7 KK in the driveway. Obviously the 4.7 doesn't matter here. The 3.7 is much peppier than the 4.0 but the compare is of a 113K mile 4.0 versus a 15K mile 3.7 so it's a tough sell. No disappointments in the 3.7 but it's no 4.7 and the gas mileage sucks on them all.
hah.....lol that's the only difference in your driveway and mine.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #7
TIJKK1220
2008 KK Liberty 

I had a 96 ZJ before I bought my KK and the differences I found were as follows.

The low end torque has lessened. I can no longer just put the jeep in drive and have it begin to crawl my rutted up driveway I have to tap the gas a little bit.
The KK tends to hold RPMs a lot longer than the 4.0 did but that may just be the computer trying to keep a "smoother" ride with less jerking around
Speed wise I think the KK has a little more mid/high range pep. Where the ZJ had a lot of pick up from a stop it seemed to peak a lot sooner than the kk does
(as a side note my poor ZJ was late in years and high in mileage and was missing overdrive later in life however I had driven it before it lost the gear)

Statwise the I6 has ~165 hp where the 3.7 is supposed to have ~210

All and all the difference is negligible the KK feels comfortable and familiar after owning a ZJ with the I6.

Edit: As for passing power. I have never had an issue passing someone even on an incline plenty of power to get up and go.
TIJKK1220 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Well, I just had my Lib tuned up them dyno'd lol!
dyno-test.jpg  
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
NedBraden55
2011 KK Liberty 

Sure you did, and I've got a two foot biological appendage.
NedBraden55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

LOL, this was from a friend of friend's 10' Camaro. My buddy is a big time gear head, had a 69 'Camaro back in highschool with a 327 11:1 compression ratio. When his friend got this car, it just brought him back in time. I wish I had 475 ftlbs of torque in my Lib. I don't think the tranny would handle it, not certain about the transfer case or the axles but I bet frame would have no issue, considering I have a solid roof.
Unread 09-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

475lb/ft of torque would grenade the entire drivetrain and turn the KK's body into a Twizzler.
Unread 09-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Drive train wouldn't handle it, but if you were to upgrade the drive train, you still think the chasis would have issues?
Unread 09-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #13
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

I'm actually not sure. It's just a theory of mine.

... it could possibly twist it to be unnoticeable to us, but if you were to measure it to 100ths of an inch, yes.
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:15 AM   #14
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I might ask the guys on AllPar. Someone on there mentioned that the Lib's frame had higher torsional rigidity then the XJ. Not sure. I think a sunroof or the skytop may have some difficulty with twisting. Oh well.
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #15
marlon_jbt
2010 KK Liberty 

That is true. It is a 3 layer unibody, vs the XJ's 2 layer. That's one reason why it weighs more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.