how to install back up cam?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > how to install back up cam??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
sofixj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

how to install back up cam??

hey all its been a long time since ive posted here (sorry) i put the pioneer d3 into my sisters 08 liberty and her back up camera just came in. I got her the one that mounts on the license plate. My question is how has anyone ran the wiring threw the back hatch to get to the license plate area? you are always a big help.

_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_) only in a JEEP
sofixj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

I need to know this as well! Anyone done this yet?
Unread 02-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
sofixj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

come on no one has installed one?????
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_) only in a JEEP
sofixj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

Looks like I may be the first one....I guess. It surprises me that no one replied to this. I may be installing mine over the weekend, but definitely within the next week or two. Brand new Pioneer in dash DVD as well.
Unread 02-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
MtnLuvr
2009 KK Liberty 

Please keep us posted, with photos too.
MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs
MtnLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
09_Silver
2011 KK Liberty 

You guys are going to hate me because I didn't take pictures during the install. But I will explain as best I can.

Install wasn't that bad actually. I mounted the camera to the license plate with the supplied bolts that came with the camera. They are security bolts that can only be loosened with the supplied special allen wrench.

To route the wires:
Remove the rear gate trim (this is a big piece) by simply pulling on the handles near the bottom of the gate. It takes a bit of pull to get it to pop off. Then you have to remove the trim piece on the outside of the gate, the piece that covers the handle that opens the gate, by removing two nuts on the inside of the gate (you'll see them once the big trim piece is removed) and then releasing the clips from the inside using a pair of pliers. Once you remove this piece of trim you will see some holes that are plenty big for the wire and connector to fit through.

Once that was done I routed the wire along the driver's side of the gate up to the very top and fed it through one of the holes already there. I had to pull the boot out and feed the wire through the hole. Then stuck the boot back in and got it as tight as I could.

Then I routed the wire through the trim down to the compartment that houses the jack on the driver's side. That's where I connected my power and ground wires. I took power directly from the fuse box. You can choose any spot to tap into that is only on when the ignition is on. Or if you want you can use the reverse lights and tap power from there. But then you will only be able to view the camera when in reverse. I wanted to be able to view it anytime. For the ground I used the upper bolt from the bracket that holds the jack in place.

I routed the power wire and the video both down the driver's side floor just under the trim.

There may be a better way to do this, but this way was really easy and did not require drilling any new holes. The only thing I didn't really like about this install was I'm not 100% sure the boot on the rear gate is completely sealed. I really don't think there will be any issues whatsoever, but I'm going to check it periodically.

Hope this wasn't too hard to follow. Again, sorry for no pics.
Unread 03-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
R0LLM0DL

You can install a backup cam just like the commander has. u need a pick. and obviously the camera.

any questions please ask. i did it on my REC Nav in my caliber.
R0LLM0DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
mayadog
2010 KK Liberty 

I am trying to install some lights near my licence plate and am going to run the wires the same way you did. Taking the large plastic interior back piece off was easy, like you said but those white clips that hold the black exterior trim in place are impossible. Did you use a special tool? How small were the pliers you used? How did you maneuver the clips off?

Thanks!!

2010 Jeep Liberty
mayadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Havoc3D
2011 KK Liberty 

Did you have any problems getting the head unit to fit? I am currently in the process of putting a double din nav system in my 11 Liberty and it seems like the opening the dash is less than the 100mm double din standard. It's just a tad shy and the radio isn't fitting properly.

Did you have to sand anything down a bit or something?
Havoc3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #10
AtTheHelm

I had to modify the dash kit a little for it all to sit flush. I can't remember exactly what I did, but I think i ovaled out some holes. I also remember it being hard to stuff like 20lbs of wiring back behind the dash.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.