How to improve Automatic Transmission shifting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > How to improve Automatic Transmission shifting?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
JSAN

How to improve Auto Tranny shifting? **Edit: Re-Programmed with Hypertech

Update:
So I uploaded the program to the ECM. First I went on the computer and updated the programmer and then Selected 2007 to 2010 3.7L Engine option and it updated it.

Then I went to the Jeep and installed it. First it gave me an error after the copying process (before writing) and told me to restart it.

After restarting it, it installed fine.

There is a very obvious difference in the acceleration. It accelerates pretty quickly now and even idles at little less RPMs than stock.

However My ESP light and traction control symbol stay lit in the instrument panel. What could be causing this?

I changed my tire size from 29.25 to 30.5. And kept everything else stock, in the programmer. anyone else have this problem?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

I have noticed that the Automatic transmission shifting is really lousy.

For example, If I am on a two-lane highway and I have to overtake a Semi, The engine over-revs at some points while I'm over taking. I will be traveling 85-90Km/hr and I increase my speed to 120-125Km/hr when I'm overtaking. During this time the when I'm fueling the engine, it tends to hit 5K RPM and then settle right back to 3K.

I have also notice then going from stop to 70-80km/hr, the tranny over-revs sometimes to get into higher gear.

I am not abusing the transmission, just that I noticed it doesn't have good shift-points compared to other SUVs.

It's really noticeable when I get on the highways and there is a really short merge lane. So I have to go from 40km/hr coming from the ramp to 110km/hr or whatever the traffic speed is to properly merge in short amount of distance. During this time the tranny takes a while to shift into higher gears. Sometimes it even reaches close to redline before shifting up. This doesn't happen all the time though.

Can I add any Chips/programmers to improve the shifting? Has anyone done this and noticed any difference?

JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
ASK87
2009 KK Liberty 

Same Here , Yep KK's transmission ain't Smooth at ALL , feels like some one under your seat makin Shifts with his hands

plus the wrong Sync. it's Creepy ,,

i wouldnt recommend playing with transmission unless with a certefied dealer , if u wanna do it right , it's gonna cost u like hell ,

That Being Said , dnt ask me why !! i Just love my Jeep ^_^
ASK87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine does the same thing. This is my first auto transmission so not being able to control the shift points is driving me crazy. Like you say the shift points aren't the best. I haven't looked into reprogramming yet, but will in the future when it's out of warranty.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
Mine does the same thing. This is my first auto transmission so not being able to control the shift points is driving me crazy. Like you say the shift points aren't the best. I haven't looked into reprogramming yet, but will in the future when it's out of warranty.
A Hypertech programmer doesn't void warranty.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
JSAN

I ordered the Hypertech programmer from amazon.com today. Should be here in 6-10 days. Total came to around $380 with shipping+Duties
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What are you getting for Hypertech programmers? I did a product search on their website and it looks like they don't support the Liberty. Only Grand Cherokee and Wrangler.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
What are you getting for Hypertech programmers? I did a product search on their website and it looks like they don't support the Liberty. Only Grand Cherokee and Wrangler.
Only certain year Libertys. It's some KJs(idk which years) and 08-10 KKs I believe.
Bmxer524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN View Post
I ordered the Hypertech programmer from amazon.com today. Should be here in 6-10 days. Total came to around $380 with shipping+Duties
When you first get it you'll have to connect the programmer, install the cd on your computer, and you're going to have to select JEEP LIBERTY or it won't work. They have good customer support, but I'd be glad to help if ya have any questions as I've had it over a year now.
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
shawnicles
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
I am looking at buying one as well to see what it does.

Let us know how it turns out when you get it. Do you have any other engine mods?
shawnicles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
JSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnicles View Post
I am looking at buying one as well to see what it does.

Let us know how it turns out when you get it. Do you have any other engine mods?
none other than CAI
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
none other than CAI
Should see great results. I have the CAI and Gibson exhaust.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
JSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
When you first get it you'll have to connect the programmer, install the cd on your computer, and you're going to have to select JEEP LIBERTY or it won't work. They have good customer support, but I'd be glad to help if ya have any questions as I've had it over a year now.
that sounds good.
thanks
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

By the way, I've only used the "regular" fuel setting so far. Haven't ventured out and tried the "premium" fuel setting yet. Wonder how it'd be with the extra mods.
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
JSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gageraid View Post
By the way, I've only used the "regular" fuel setting so far. Haven't ventured out and tried the "premium" fuel setting yet. Wonder how it'd be with the extra mods.
yea, I'm gonna stick with 87 fuel. its $1.37/L for 87 up here. ($5.19/Gal)
Unread 06-05-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
yea, I'm gonna stick with 87 fuel. its $1.37/L for 87 up here. ($5.19/Gal)
That makes me sick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.