horsepower - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > horsepower

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 05-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
nickthe
2011 KK Liberty 

horsepower

what is the best way to get a few ponies out of my 2011 Liberty 3.7 liter 4X4 Sport? It just seems to lag when I am passing on the Freeway or going up mountain grades. Yes I know that it is a Jeep and it doew very well off road but when I am driving up the grade into Yosemite I don't want to told up traffic. I have aftermarket 18 in inch alluminum wheels so that I get the stable ride on the freeway that the limited has. Even with the stock 16 inch rims it seemed under powered but I just had to have a Jeep. Any suggestions for under $1000.00 yes (1K) would be helpful.

nickthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

First off, Welcome to the Jeep Forum here on the KK side of life.

I really think that you can find all the power you may need under your right foot. Just smash that little pedal down hard and go. You could also if when needed push the "Tow/Haul" button and it will alter your shifting points of the transmission, which may give you what you are looking for.

Now with the above be said, there is always the usual suspect parts you could throw at the Jeep, like the KN air filter, aftermarket free flow exhaust or computer programmer.
KN filter over the years has been shown in many cases not to provide enough filtering of dirt. Also replacement filters have evolved enough that the difference in air flow maybe minimal at best.

As for the computer programmer, I have heard that it is a short term effect. That eventually the factory program will over come the new program and you will be back to stock. Don't know if that is fact or fiction, but it is also difficult to find a tuner for the Liberty KK.

Now for the exhaust, I have always believed that the only thing the aftermarket exhaust will do is add noise. And that an aftermarket exhaust offers no real benifit other than to free up the flow of pressure. However, I did install the JBA exhaust and my only expectations were more noise and a bright stainless exhaust tip. But for some reason my in town mileage has gone up 3 MPG and acceleration has improved both from a dead standstill and in on line acceleration IE: passing. The MPG increase is based off of readings from my ScanGauge, the acceleration is a pure "Seat of the Pants" feel. Even my wife has noticed the acceleration difference. So for $149 the exhaust was the best bang for the buck I have ever purchased for any vehicle

I am sure some others will chime in and either dispute or agree with what I have said.
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
WA_KK
2008 KK Liberty 

Check out B&G tuning. They'll do a complete custom ECU tune. It should be under 1k too. That's really the only way to maximise the effectiveness of other mods.
WA_KK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
collins1888
2009 KK Liberty 

drop a nitro 4.0 in it lol I mean it would fit wouldnt it?
collins1888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthe View Post
what is the best way to get a few ponies out of my 2011 Liberty 3.7 liter 4X4 Sport? It just seems to lag when I am passing on the Freeway or going up mountain grades. Yes I know that it is a Jeep and it doew very well off road but when I am driving up the grade into Yosemite I don't want to told up traffic. I have aftermarket 18 in inch alluminum wheels so that I get the stable ride on the freeway that the limited has. Even with the stock 16 inch rims it seemed under powered but I just had to have a Jeep. Any suggestions for under $1000.00 yes (1K) would be helpful.
What octane gasoline are you buying? The low octane stuff doesnt respond as well as the midgrade does.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
kmrcstintn
2011 KK Liberty 

shortly after I got my '11 sport 4 x 4 last year I posted & searched for ideas also...I simply decided to keep it stock and drive it the best I can to maximize mpg's, use tow/haul with a scooter or motorcycle on a carrier in the hitch, and step on the gas pedal more when encountering a hill or want to pass on the highway; now I am used to what it offers...
ed701d820a0a00650131cb022090311e.jpg  
kmrcstintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

You can check out Allpar. They may have some ideas. Your vehicle is under warranty I am guessing, so I would be careful so you don't void it.
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

jet performance chip, exhaust...youll be happy with the results
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
What octane gasoline are you buying? The low octane stuff doesnt respond as well as the midgrade does.
This will do nothing but waste your money. You WILL NOT get more horsepower or fuel economy from higher octane fuel.

Higher octane fuel won't do you any good unless you can burn it. The higher the octane of the fuel, the slower it burns. Basically, you want to run the octane the mfg recommends, because that's what your engine was designed to use. Now if you had high compression, advanced timing, etc, etc....you'll benefit from running higher octane fuel.

So, just empty any unnecessary weight from the Jeep. Cheapest mod you can do.
Unread 06-08-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
Anderson75
2010 KK Liberty 

I was searching for fuel saving tips last night and came across 'GFChips.' The company GUARANTEES increased HP and MPGs with a 60 day return policy. I also found something called 'Fuel Infusion.' This one claims to help burn off more fuel, therefore decreasing emissions and increasing MPGs. Is it worth giving it a try? Just thinking I might...
Anderson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

anyone know if there are any tunes for the 2012s most dont have the R&D complete yet
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #12
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson75 View Post
I was searching for fuel saving tips last night and came across 'GFChips.' The company GUARANTEES increased HP and MPGs with a 60 day return policy. I also found something called 'Fuel Infusion.' This one claims to help burn off more fuel, therefore decreasing emissions and increasing MPGs. Is it worth giving it a try? Just thinking I might...
No. Snakeoil at best. These companies offer what amounts to a "chip" that tricks your vehicle's computer into running richer, but does nothing to add anything. Your best bet would be to use the money that you would spend on that garbage to put some gas in your tank and some highway miles on your Liberty. Best way to increase MPGs, through opening up the engine and letting it stretch it's legs.
eta: Good luck on them honoring their returns policy. Search for other similar chips and read the reviews. Previous buyers had a heck of a time shipping the thing back in the "correct" amount of time, even after eating the shipping costs themselves.
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
barnettd

Several times I've read magazines that have done performance upgrades to Jeeps and tested them. The quick fixes rarely have produced much improvement... usually it is the significant engine upgrades that make a noticeable difference in performance.
barnettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
az16339
2009 KK Liberty 

[QUOTE=jonrjen;13603275)Now for the exhaust, I have always believed that the only thing the aftermarket exhaust will do is add noise. And that an aftermarket exhaust offers no real benifit other than to free up the flow of pressure. However, I did install the JBA exhaust and my only expectations were more noise and a bright stainless exhaust tip. But for some reason my in town mileage has gone up 3 MPG and acceleration has improved both from a dead standstill and in on line acceleration IE: passing. The MPG increase is based off of readings from my ScanGauge, the acceleration is a pure "Seat of the Pants" feel. Even my wife has noticed the acceleration difference. So for $149 the exhaust was the best bang for the buck I have ever purchased for any vehicle./QUOTE]

What does installation of the JBA exhaust do to a Chrysler extended warranty?
az16339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorRenegade View Post
This will do nothing but waste your money. You WILL NOT get more horsepower or fuel economy from higher octane fuel.

Higher octane fuel won't do you any good unless you can burn it. The higher the octane of the fuel, the slower it burns. Basically, you want to run the octane the mfg recommends, because that's what your engine was designed to use. Now if you had high compression, advanced timing, etc, etc....you'll benefit from running higher octane fuel.

So, just empty any unnecessary weight from the Jeep. Cheapest mod you can do.
That may be the case with some engines, but not all. Some newer engines, including the 3.7L, are capable of more aggressive timing curves to better use higher octane fuel. You really should keep up with automotive technology alot better, this is older tech already. I get better than 20mpg, hows yours doing? Besides, do a bit of reading in that thing called the owners manual, and other information sources. It will validate what I know.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.