Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hood Strut mod?

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  91AzXJ 
#1 ·
i was wondering if anybody has done this or has a direct link for this mod. ive seen one a while ago but they used some hood struts from a tarus or something lol trying do this mod since ive sold my track car bordem has struck me. anybody that can help it would be awesome thanks - Steve

#2 ·
I thought about doing it that way.. much cheaper than the way I did it, but I got mine all in one kit with very detailed instructions.

Hoodlift by Warrior makes a very good quality kit for our KKs that you can buy from morris4x4center. I got mine as a Christmas present but I believe it's normally about $75.

#3 ·
thanks that sounds good, just also trying to see what else is out there for DIY's i tend to get really bored on my days off :laugh: but yea worst case if i dont find that DIY again ill just order that one up

#7 ·
LOL.. Just did mine. The only kit I saw required you to mount the hood part towards the center of the hood. I did not like the way it mounted. I too saw the DIY setup where a bracket is mounted on the hood hinge bolt and another midway down on the fender. So I built my own. Real easy. Just installed it this morning.

Here are the parts I got and the vendor I used. The vendor: http://www.autopartsbylou.com/

2 Lift Supports
SE197PA90M10/
60116M10
$37.80

2 EC Ball Stud
Joint
10mm=(3/8") 2
Hole Mount L
Bracket Black
$7.98

2 EC Ball Stud
Joint
10mm=(3/8") 2
Hole Mount L
Bracket Black
$7.98

Plus I got some #10 stainless self drilling screws. 1/2" and 3/4"

All I did was drill out one of the holes on two of the brackets to accept the hood hinge stud. 5/16" I believe.

Bolt the bracket to the hood hinge. Attach the strut. Attach the lower bracket to the lift. Get the hood where you want it. (a second person helps a bunch here) Mark where the bracket ends up. Mount it with the 1/2 self drilling screws. On the passenger side there is an AC line there so don't mistakenly use too long screws or drill it real aggressively or you will end up with a real expensive mistake.

I was going to post up pictures but I plan on painting the brackets body color so I will do a better write up then.

#9 ·
This is the kit I got. Great quality kit, they really take care of you when you get it.. even comes with the drill bit you need to do the job.

#12 ·
That is how I did mine and what started my quest. I liked how it is set up the same way that most factory systems are mounted. I tried the links for the parts he provided and had no luck. I also used slightly stronger lifts at 90lbs.

Honestly, I didn't like the other kit mentioned because of how it mounted.

I really wish the weather would break and it would get warmer so I can finish.

#13 ·
I did this mod to my XJ and it works great. I used my old rear hatch struts and actually ended up taking one off because it went up too fast and was hard to close. With one strut it works perfectly. I have yet to do it to the KK but will eventually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.