Hood Prop Mod - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Hood Prop Mod

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #46
JSAN

I ordered all the parts last year and finally did the mod yesterday. took me ~5 min

I ordered a new pair shocks today because I need more force to open the hood when its -30C (-22F) outside. My first pair hs 50lb force and I have to assist the hood to open fully. The ones I ordered today are 90 or 100lb. I want the hood to open itself and stay open if there's any high winds.

And the general rule of installing struts is to have the piston rod at the bottom the piston housing at the top. I see that almost everyone has them backwards, don't know if there's a big difference in performance these types of shows. plus it looks better as well.

JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #47
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN
I ordered all the parts last year and finally did the mod yesterday. took me ~5 min

I ordered a new pair shocks today because I need more force to open the hood when its -30C (-22F) outside. My first pair hs 50lb force and I have to assist the hood to open fully. The ones I ordered today are 90 or 100lb. I want the hood to open itself and stay open if there's any high winds.

And the general rule of installing struts is to have the piston rod at the bottom the piston housing at the top. I see that almost everyone has them backwards, don't know if there's a big difference in performance these types of shows. plus it looks better as well.
Which struts did you order? I tried the link on lostjeeps but it no longer works.
Unread 11-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #48
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I just linked to it, it works. Try copying and pasting it to your browser.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #49
bagwell
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN View Post
hummm don't know much difference it makes.....

bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #50
JSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlux View Post
Which struts did you order? I tried the link on lostjeeps but it no longer works.
I ordered from this site:
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/JR-...es_c_1272.html

I originally got the 50lb shocks JR Products GSNI-5300-50 Gas Spring Camper Trailer R

2 days ago I ordered the 100lb shocks JR Products GSNI-2300-100 Gas Spring 100 lb Camper Trailer RV

Don't order the 100lb shocks unless you live where temp drops really low.

The specs are:
Part # GSNI-5300-60

Ext. Length (inches) 20

Comp'd Length (inches) 11.41

Stroke (inches) 8.59

Rod Dia. (mm) 6

Tube Dia. (mm) 15

Force (lbs.) 60

Type of End: Plastic Socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwell View Post
hummm don't know much difference it makes.....

generally on the suspension shocks it is recommended to have the piston housing at the top. If the shell of the shock is open like a cup and is installed backwards then it can fill up with water and debris.
JSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #51
Stang977
2012 KK Liberty 

For My 2012-

What I bought:

2 Stabilus Lift-O-Mat P/N SG 130018 (98 Seville) 16 3/4" Barrel 15" Rod. - Auto Parts
2 8mm Ball Joint Stud M6x1.00 (Rod End) - LiftSupportsDepot.com
2 10mm Ball Joint Stud 5/16x18 (Barrel End) - LiftSupportsDepot.com

What I did:

You can use existing holes on 2012. Barrel End- engine compartment drivers side by front of battery and pass side front of air intake. Rod End- Hood Brackets, the only holes there.

I went an extra step and drilled the barrel end holes 1 1/2" rearward from factory holes because on pass side the ball stud was hitting the AC line. If you drill, put something on the back side of the hole to protect anything underneath. 20 Min install, opens like a big mouth bass.
* Note these pistons hold firmly at full lock hood open. They will not hold partial open. Don't know if that matters to anyone.

Thanks to all from this newbie Jeep owner. Many great ideas here. Pics when I can figure that out.
Stang977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #52
Wearyman
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAN View Post
I ordered from this site:
http://www.americanrvcompany.com/JR-...es_c_1272.html

I originally got the 50lb shocks JR Products GSNI-5300-50 Gas Spring Camper Trailer R

2 days ago I ordered the 100lb shocks JR Products GSNI-2300-100 Gas Spring 100 lb Camper Trailer RV

Don't order the 100lb shocks unless you live where temp drops really low.

The specs are:
Part # GSNI-5300-60

Ext. Length (inches) 20

Comp'd Length (inches) 11.41

Stroke (inches) 8.59

Rod Dia. (mm) 6

Tube Dia. (mm) 15

Force (lbs.) 60

Type of End: Plastic Socket

generally on the suspension shocks it is recommended to have the piston housing at the top. If the shell of the shock is open like a cup and is installed backwards then it can fill up with water and debris.
Nice find!

I also noticed that there were other weights available in the same 20" length. A 90lbs one (maybe for areas that it gets cold but not SUPER cold?) and a 60lbs one as well as lower weight ones that probably wouldn't work.

I live in the Buffalo NY area and (obviously) it can get quite cold here in the winter, but not like it can get in areas north of the Border. Would you recommend something like the 90lb one or should I maybe go with the 50 or 60lbs unit?
Wearyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #53
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang977
For My 2012-

What I bought:

2 Stabilus Lift-O-Mat P/N SG 130018 (98 Seville) 16 3/4" Barrel 15" Rod. - Auto Parts
2 8mm Ball Joint Stud M6x1.00 (Rod End) - LiftSupportsDepot.com
2 10mm Ball Joint Stud 5/16x18 (Barrel End) - LiftSupportsDepot.com

What I did:

You can use existing holes on 2012. Barrel End- engine compartment drivers side by front of battery and pass side front of air intake. Rod End- Hood Brackets, the only holes there.

I went an extra step and drilled the barrel end holes 1 1/2" rearward from factory holes because on pass side the ball stud was hitting the AC line. If you drill, put something on the back side of the hole to protect anything underneath. 20 Min install, opens like a big mouth bass.
* Note these pistons hold firmly at full lock hood open. They will not hold partial open. Don't know if that matters to anyone.

Thanks to all from this newbie Jeep owner. Many great ideas here. Pics when I can figure that out.
Thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing your pics!!
Unread 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #54
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

How about this option?

For about $70 you can have this complete system.

How much for the parts you guys assembled?
Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #55
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Mine was $50. I used the beefiest strut I could find. No regrets.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #56
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Skipper can you post some pics?
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #57
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRliBerty View Post
Skipper can you post some pics?
You want more pics? I posted earlier in the thread (installed upside down), with the struts.
Unread 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #58
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper6413 View Post
You want more pics? I posted earlier in the thread (installed upside down), with the struts.

Saw them, I went with used struts. No problems. Now the rear lift gate is failing! when it is cold here, the liftgate holds up fine, when it is warm, the liftgate slowly closes when open.

Went to satan and priced a pair, $105 per pair. Went to the salvage yard http://www.u-pull-it.com/ the struts of a cadillac is too long, the for taurus fits well. The liftgate is heavier than the Hood.
Unread 02-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #59
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

My 2011 Lib struts for the rear hatch are having issues as well. Seems like it doesn't matter with temp, just not enough umph at all.
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #60
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

I originally used the hood strut off of a ford taurus..... then I took the ones offf of my neighbors cadillac before he junk it

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.