Holy Smokes! Oil Filter Trick Works - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Holy Smokes! Oil Filter Trick Works

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 01-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Holy Smokes! Oil Filter Trick Works

Figured I'd put it out there in a thread of it's own instead of burying it one of the countless oil filter threads out there.

For those of us that have a real hard time getting at the darn oil filter without busting up our arms or making a real mess of things.....

It was mentioned that you could take out the driver's side headlamp for easier access to the filter.

I was intrigued but skeptical. So, yesterday I did it...

WOOHOO! It made my oil change a breeze! No jack, no ramps, just a drain pan, and a socket wrench.

Seriously, the grill pops out easy after pulling out the little plastic rivets. Then the headlamp comes out by removing three torx screws.

After that, you can just reach in to the space and the filter is right there. Great leverage as well. I was able to remove it and replace it by hand without any worries if it was tight enough or not.

Here is what it looks like....

Not zoomed... just moved my phone closer..

So, for those that struggle with the darn filter.. it is worth the 10 minutes it takes to pull the grill and headlamp.

2010 Jeep Liberty Limited
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Nice going! This thread is going to help tons of folks. If you duplicate it over on LOST, I'll link it in the KK how-to's index.
Unread 01-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

I'd like to try this as well one day.
I just did an oil change using the crawl under the Jeep and lay on your back with a flashlight method.
Gageraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Seriously, it makes the change cake...

@lfhoward.. I will copy this over to lost.....

Unread 01-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #5
97_JGC
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for this info. I was not looking forward to my first oil change on a "new to us" 2010 trail rated.
97_JGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
mighty4banger
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice tip - I just tried this today... the other big win is that you can ensure you get the new filter on tight enough! Up until this tip I was considering doing a relocation kit for the filter.
95 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 4.88's, Aussie Locker D30, 35" Mud Rovers, Herculined tub, TKH rear bumper, Ford 8.8, JB Conv. SYE, Sylvania Silver Stars, T-MAX 9K winch, MORE 1" body lift, Turbo City oil pan skid, Rubicon Express 4" lift...

2012 KK Black all stock.
mighty4banger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
Dave_B
2008 KK Liberty 

Seems like a lot of extra work, just reach in put a end cap filter wrench on a long extention go in from the front. Straight shot your done before the grill is out. Or $64.99 and let Jeep do it 4 times.
Dave
Dave_B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty4banger View Post
Nice tip - I just tried this today... the other big win is that you can ensure you get the new filter on tight enough! Up until this tip I was considering doing a relocation kit for the filter.
LOL.... I too mentioned a relocation kit... I even asked for some help from the custom builders I used to deal with on LXForums when I had the Hemi 300. It was just to expensive to do it right with the kind of parts that would last a life time of daily use. Now, it doesn't matter....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
Seems like a lot of extra work, just reach in put a end cap filter wrench on a long extention go in from the front. Straight shot your done before the grill is out. Or $64.99 and let Jeep do it 4 times.
Dave
Funny, I tried that but couldn't get it to work. The filter is mounted at an angle and on my Liberty it isn't a clear shot up from the bottom. Maybe some pictures showing how it is done when you do it next? If it is better, show us...

Last time I paid my dealer to change the oil they insisted they did it even after I said they didn't based on the color of the oil. Not until I asked them if they suddenly started using Bosch filters did they admit their mistake..... so, no matter how cheap, no thanks... I prefer to do my own service.

Like I said in my original post.... for some they seem to have an easy time of it, for others it is always a royal PIA. I tried layin under it in different directions, using an extension and filter socket, even took the plastic drain channel off, but it always was a major pain to get my thick arms up in there to get it off. Taking the grill out is super easy, and actually made my total oil change time a whole lot quicker since I am not using ramps or a jack/stands anymore...

Unread 01-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #9
DrD28

I was wondering how often to change synthetic oil. The owners Manuel says 5 thousand miles. Any thoughts
DrD28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD28 View Post
I was wondering how often to change synthetic oil. The owners Manuel says 5 thousand miles. Any thoughts
Ruh...Ro....Shaggy.... Here we go....

So, there are a million and one opinions on oil. Type, change frequency, etc. It will turn a simple thread into a sea of despair.

Sorry for the doom and gloom... but experience says it will happen...

Here is my OPINION..... no matter what, synthetic or conventional, stick with the OEM service intervals...

My Liberty goes the 5,000 recommended in the owners manual and I use either synthetic blend or conventional depending on the sale at the time at the auto parts store.

My wife's Mercedes R350 specifies Mobil One synthetic and a 10,000 mile interval. Since her car barely does 9k a year she gets a seasonal change. One in the fall and another in the spring.

On her car that may be over kill since she also has an 8 quart capacity despite only being a 3.5L V6.

And let he crazy begin..................

Unread 01-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #11
DrD28

Thanks lol
DrD28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
quadracer512
2009 KK Liberty 

Yeah, thanks. That will help next time. I normally spend about 30 minutes trying to get myself positioned at the correct angle, then burn myself 5 times, skin my knuckles putting the new one on, and dream of taking the designers out and shooting them as I clean up the floor.
quadracer512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #13
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer512 View Post
Yeah, thanks. That will help next time. I normally spend about 30 minutes trying to get myself positioned at the correct angle, then burn myself 5 times, skin my knuckles putting the new one on, and dream of taking the designers out and shooting them as I clean up the floor.
or depending on your preference.

Seems totally counter intuitive that pulling the grill and headlamp would make it easy, but it really does...

There is plenty of room under the Jeep to get at the drain plug without using ramps or a jack and stands... So, without the need to move around for the filter, you just leave the Jeep on the ground for the service.. Added bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.