Hitch & Wiring + Front tow hooks?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Hitch & Wiring + Front tow hooks??

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
JB007Rules

Hitch & Wiring + Front tow hooks??

Hey guys! I have searched and searched and searched and am ready to pull what's left of my hair OUT!

I just recently purchased a new 2012 Jeep Liberty Sport "Latitude". It obviously has the pre-done drilled holes for the hitch. Which I found for $206.77 shipped is 82210988AB ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-11-Libert...81b0c6&vxp=mtr )

Question I have is that according to the dealer, I need THIS http://www.ebay.com/itm/400313638901...84.m1438.l2649 Wiring harness... (P/N: 82210642AD)

Whats odd is that I think my Jeep already had this harness on it? There IS some sort of proprietary plug that is already there mounted underneath the vehicle in the rear. I took of a picture of it and put it HERE: http://robsnetworks.com/jeep/IMG_201...201613_497.jpg - Can I just get a wire that goes into that for my 4 flat wiring??? What about 7 pin wiring?

Also, will this tow hook work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/110938602184...84.m1438.l2649 (P/N: 82211654)

Why is there only 1 on the front???

(I know on my 2012 RAM 1500, I got the OEM tow hooks (there is 2 of them on the front) and it just bolts in and there is a different plastic dam/bezel thing that makes it look good. I did that myself and it's just great! (PIC: http://moparonlineparts.com/images/r...0_82210967.jpg )

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

JB007Rules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

The KJ tow hooks are the same and you get two. I'm not sure why they only list one but if you were to order the jeep with them, it comes with two. BE CAREFUL not to use the "M" bolt that comes with them as they will pull out of the uniframe under the right conditions. There is another hardware kit available that comes with stud plates and the bumper needs to be removed to put them in. It's worth it. If you go to lost jeeps there's all the info you need on the subject, just do a search.
Not sure about the wires, the local uhaul had a pigtail in stock for that. You might want to check at the stealership to see what's available. I put on the mopar hitch and seven pin harness. It wasn't too bad to install. If you just want to run the flat one, the t-connectors work very well, I wouldn't let anyone tap or splice the wires as that causes problems later.
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I think I paid about $160.00 for my hitch from the dealer, you may want to check there also.
Unread 04-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

The mopar trailer wire harness plugs into the driver side tail light fixture. The plug you took a picture of is for back up sensors and camera. Get the mopar harness and a7 pin to 4 pin adapter.
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
JB007Rules

That is making me wonder now... Can I get the rear backup camera and put it in???? We have the navi & HDD stock already there.

It appears that it goes on the mirror? http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=822125...d=464803833521

This is my wifes daily driver and she would be VERY happy if I could put a backup camera in...

I didn't think that they put backup cameras on the Libertys though.............
JB007Rules is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I'm pretty sure they did. If you put it on, most likely the dealer would have to program the system to see it.
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

I just took the leap today and ordered the Mopar hitch, 7 way wire harness, ball mount and 2" ball today from Lithia. Probably cost me a little more than another receiver, but I figured I stick with OEM stuff. All-in-all about $600 once the install is done. Physically I couldn't handle the install else I would. Looking at the Lithia Accessories catalog online, it lists the install cost along with the purchase price. It said $653, but not sure which standard ball mount and 2" ball they'll put on.

Also ordered the taillight guards from CarID.
georgejeri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
11KKLiberty
2011 KK Liberty 

After hunting around the internet it seemed best to do a factory-style harness (it includes relays, etc to work right with the factory wiring). I almost went with U-Haul, who quoted me less than the factory harness, including installation, but in my research I heard of several cases where they had to go back and fix what Uhaul had hacked up...

I was about to just order the harness from the dealer (they didn't stock it), and found a link to Airpark Dodge Chrysler Jeep (airparkdodgechryslerjeep.com). Hunting through their accessory catalog (not the regular parts section), they had a good selection of accessories at lower prices than my local dealer. I ordered the harness and had it shipped for less than the local dealer wanted to charge AND received it in just a day or two (the dealer said it would take longer). I was very happy with the service.
11KKLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KKLiberty View Post
After hunting around the internet it seemed best to do a factory-style harness (it includes relays, etc to work right with the factory wiring). I almost went with U-Haul, who quoted me less than the factory harness, including installation, but in my research I heard of several cases where they had to go back and fix what Uhaul had hacked up...

I was about to just order the harness from the dealer (they didn't stock it), and found a link to Airpark Dodge Chrysler Jeep (airparkdodgechryslerjeep.com). Hunting through their accessory catalog (not the regular parts section), they had a good selection of accessories at lower prices than my local dealer. I ordered the harness and had it shipped for less than the local dealer wanted to charge AND received it in just a day or two (the dealer said it would take longer). I was very happy with the service.
I figured that the OEM was the best way to go for something like the wiring harness and hitch receiver. Especially after reading the install instructions. Pretty much a plug-n-play operation for the wiring harness. After reading some posts on here about hitch receivers, it seems like the OEM receiver fits up nice and snug. Always liked working on things like that but physically not practical for me. Lithia here said 3-5 business days to get the harness in. not bad considering.

Just got an email notice that my taillight guards are back ordered - made to order for my Jeep. Frack. Would have liked to get those in at the same time as the harness since the tail lights would be out anyway.
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #10
asheldon6
2008 KK Liberty 

@11kkliberty. How did you get to the accessory catalog? I don't see a link to it on their site.
asheldon6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #11
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheldon6 View Post
@11kkliberty. How did you get to the accessory catalog? I don't see a link to it on their site.
Not sure if it's any help but here's the link to Lithia: http://www.igaccessories.com/lithiachrysleranchorage/

Just remove the Lithia part and you'll get the home page and the dealer search function.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
11KKLiberty
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheldon6 View Post
They reformatted their page since I purchased the harness for my Jeep, but this should get you there (or you could call the number on their site):
From the homepage click on the "Parts" tab, then select "Buy Parts Online"
Look for the "Accessories" blue bar, then click the drop-down to select an accessory catalog (i.e. Jeep).
For some reason when you click on 2011 or 2012 Liberty, there isn't much listed, but the 2010 Liberty accessories are pretty complete. I found the harness under 2010 -> Liberty ->Exterior ->Hitches & Towing -> 4th page.
You should check to make sure parts for different years are compatible, but when I purchased mine, it was the same part for 2008+ Liberty and Nitro models.
The site was much more user-friendly last time around......
Hope this helps.
11KKLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

I had my new hitch receiver and wire harness installed at Lithia. $260 but it saved me the trouble. 1.4 hours for the receiver seems a little high to me and 2.4 for the harness.
2009-jeep-liberty-12.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

That does seem a little long. It took me about twenty minutes to do in my driveway, by myself with a floor jack. Maybe they used two people to hold it while one put in the bolts while it was on a lift, who knows.
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #15
georgejeri

2009 KK Liberty 

Maybe those time numbers are just standard times. I dropped it off at 7:30, caught their shuttle home, and they called me at 12:30 saying it was ready. Considering the time it took them to get it back into the shop, get the parts from their parts department, finishing up the paperwork, etc., those times do seem to little high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.