Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Hitch

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 01-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Eagle112199
2008 KK Liberty 

Hitch

Looking to purchase a hitch sometime in the near future. I have looked at non MOPAR hitches and wondered if you have to cut the bumper out like the factory one?

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hitch too? I like the look of the factory (hidden mostly in the bumper plastic) but don't like the price.

Thanks for the help/advice!

Eagle112199 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
teckn9ne
2010 KK Liberty 

mopar one is only hitch i no of that fits tall under bumper all rest sit lower and does not require bumper triming so u will lose some clerance.
teckn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
silver08kk
2008 KK Liberty 

I installed a Class III Reese hitch on my 08 KK a few months ago. It was a snap, 6 bolts all together. It didn't require any bumper trimming at all, sits about 3-4 inches below the bottom edge of the bumper, looks good.
silver08kk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
musclezmarinara
2012 KK Liberty 

get from burdick dodge on ebay class II
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I ordered one from hitchmart on ebay yesterday and it arrived today. I am at work so I haven't seen it yet and the description didn't give a brand but I got one last year from them for a van and it was a Curt. I ordered the one that came with the KK wiring for trailer lights and it was $189.77 with free shipping. I will install this weekend and let you know what I think. Wife just bought the KK Monday and I was informed "It will NOT be wheeled, that is what your YJ is for!" So being below the bumper is not much of a concern for this one. I will be towing a 2100 lb. pop-up camper.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
bikerdude
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Installed the hitch Sunday. It is a "Hidden Hitch" and was well built. I removed the 1 bolt that was in the way, ran a tap through the 5 unused holes in the frame to clean them out and bolted the hitch on with the 6 bolts. Couldn't be easier! Then I installed the 7-pin receptacle on the tab provided on the hitch. For wiring, I removed both taillights and plugged in the wiring harness that came with the hitch. This harness needs a power wire ran to it and a ground and it provides the typical 4-flat trailer plug that plugs into the 7-pin I bought.

I ran 3 wires from the front to the back. 1 battery (fused) for the taillight wiring harness and recharging the trailer battery, 1 wire for the brake controller, and 1 wire that will be a wire for backup lights on the trailer. The most difficult part of this project was finding a place to run the wires where they could be tied up out of harms way. Would be nice to have a hoist sometimes.

All I have left to do is find a convenient, out of the way place to mount the brake controller. I am thinking the left corner of the dash by the A-pillar. So far I am happy with the hitch and wiring kit. I could see where the bumper gets cut for the mopar hitches, and it looks like they would only be about 1 1/2 inches higher than this hitch.
bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
cda7333
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclezmarinara View Post
get from burdick dodge on ebay class II

Hows it fit up and look? Class two is prolly all Ill ever need. Got a truck for the heavy stuff. Didn't have any luck finding it on eBay. Could u post a link.? Thanks.
cda7333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

If you're still looking for a factory Class III hitch here's an option. Car-part.com will find parts in your area and at very good prices.

Hopefully this link works for an '09 Liberty trailer hitch. Fifty bucks ain't bad!

Bob
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.