JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Hill Button Question(s) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/hill-button-question-s-1510425/)

xxxxxxxxxxxxelorwatch 04-17-2013 06:17 AM

Hill Button Question(s)

My Window Sticker reads: Hill Start Assist, & below it, Hill Descent Control.

On Control Panel next to the button with a 'Slipping Vehicle' is a Button with a 'Vehicle stopped on a very Steep Hill decline'.

The Button with the, 'Vehicle stopped on a very Steep Hill decline', is the one I'm questioning; Don't know if that's the, 'Hill Start' or the 'Hill Descent' one?

It appears, if activated, will add Additional holding power, to prevent vehicle from rolling down.

My Question is: When do I press this button?

Just before Turning off Vehicle?

And since it flashes several times when pressed - do I wait until it Stops flashing (?) prior to Shutting off Vehicle?

A detailed explanation would be more than appreciated because it's best Never to assume I know something. LOL :confused:

MyJKU14 04-17-2013 06:40 AM

Hill descent control is for when you're actually driving down a hill. Not sure if yours does something different? I read your question to my husband who is pretty Jeep knowledgeable and he shook his head and said to read the owners manual. Maybe someone else will have something to add, but those two controls, in my experience, are for actual driving assistance when off roading not for parking assistance.

From another part of this forum:

Hill Descent Control (HDC) – If Equipped

HDC is only intended for low speed off-road driving. HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills in off-road driving conditions by applying the brakes when necessary.

The symbol indicates the status of the Hill Descent Control (HDC) feature. The lamp will be on solid when HDC is armed. HDC can only be armed when the transfer case is in the “4WD LOW” position and the vehicle speed is less then 30 mph (48 km/h). If these conditions are not met while attempting to use the HDC feature, the HDC indicator light will flash on/off.

When enabled, HDC senses the terrain and activates when the vehicle is descending a hill. HDC speed may be adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.

Gear Approximate HDC Set Speed
1st 1 mph (1.5 km/h)
2nd 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
DRIVE 7.5 mph (12 km/h)
REVERSE 1 mph (1.5 km/h)

However, the driver can override HDC operation by applying the brake to slow the vehicle down below the HDC control speed. If more speed is desired during HDC control, the accelerator pedal will increase vehicle speed in the usual manner. When either the brake or the accelerator is released, HDC will control the vehicle at the original set speed.

Enabling HDC

Shift the transfer case into 4WD LOW range. Refer to “Four-Wheel Drive Operation” in “Starting and Operating” for further information.
Press the “Hill Descent” button. The “Hill Descent Control Indicator Light” in the instrument cluster will turn on solid.
Note: If the transfer case is not in 4WD LOW range, the “Hill Descent Control Indicator Light” will flash for five seconds and HDC will not be enabled.

Disabling HDC

Press the “Hill Descent” button or shift the transfer case out of 4WD LOW range. The “Hill Descent Control Indicator” light in the instrument cluster will turn off.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...scent-1308091/

huntb 04-17-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xelorwatch (Post 15307851)
My Window Sticker reads: Hill Start Assist, & below it, Hill Descent Control.

On Control Panel next to the button with a 'Slipping Vehicle' is a Button with a 'Vehicle stopped on a very Steep Hill decline'.

The Button with the, 'Vehicle stopped on a very Steep Hill decline', is the one I'm questioning; Don't know if that's the, 'Hill Start' or the 'Hill Descent' one?

It appears, if activated, will add Additional holding power, to prevent vehicle from rolling down.

My Question is: When do I press this button?

Just before Turning off Vehicle?

And since it flashes several times when pressed - do I wait until it Stops flashing (?) prior to Shutting off Vehicle?

A detailed explanation would be more than appreciated because it's best Never to assume I know something. LOL :confused:

Hill descent control is for with you are in 4LOW and are going down a steep hill. It maintains speed for stability and safety.

Hill start assist is a feature that when stopped on an incline, the vehicle will apply the breaks so that you don't need to. This prevents the rollback that you would normally see in a manual transmission vehicle when you release the break to hit the gas when starting on an incline.

Like the previous post stated... read your manual

xxxxxxxxxxxxelorwatch 04-17-2013 09:29 AM

I suffer from severe OCD (Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder) and w/o going into detail, reading any kind of Instructional book causes illness; therefore, I thank both responders, very much, as Your explanations were down to earth and very calming to read and understand :)

p.s. "When either the brake or the accelerator is released, HDC will control the vehicle at the original set speed." Reads like conventional Cruise Control - but in slow motion.

Thx again!

eoerikson3 04-17-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xelorwatch
I suffer from severe OCD (Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder) and w/o going into detail, reading any kind of Instructional book causes illness; therefore, I thank both responders, very much, as Your explanations were down to earth and very calming to read and understand :)

OCD and did not read the book twenty times? LOL

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Drednot 04-17-2013 10:46 AM

The hill start assist is always on and works by itself without any driver input. You will notice it working if you are on an incline, even your driveway if itsn not completely flat, and you let off the brake but don't touch the gas, you will notice the brakes hold for an instant then release.

I've tried out my hill descent control in its intended capacity and it can be engaged only while in 4LO while stopped or within its speed tolerances. Its really obvious during its operation as it uses the ABS system to activate the brakes to ease you down hill without needing to do anything but steer. Its very effective and a great safety measure to protect novice offroaders that don't have the confidence/experience in extreme low range, lowest gear downhill situations. It lets you descend very slowly(slower than walking) so make sure the guy behind you doesn't follow to closely as low range first gear goes twice as fast.

Bmxer524 04-17-2013 11:07 AM

I feel hill start can be a little iffy. On some shallow hills I still get roll back, but sometimes it kicks in. However, if it's really steep you will always feel it. If you're one of those people that tap the gas at those points you won't like it, but if you stay on the gas you won't really have a problem.

Hill descent has already been covered, 4Low and offroad use only only.

xxxxxxxxxxxxelorwatch 04-17-2013 01:18 PM

Yea, OCD is funny. But so is iPhone which dups Text Msgs. And you don't have to worry if you have OCD with an iPhone, cause people tell me, it doesn't even have a 'Back Button' LOLOLOLOL

xxxxxxxxxxxxelorwatch 04-17-2013 01:41 PM

"Even your driveway if itsn not completely flat, and you let off the brake but don't touch the gas, you will notice the brakes hold for an instant then release." I concur. At a local White Castle which appears flat, while in line at a drive-thru, I always get Rollback, at the same spot; I never did with my old FRD compact.

But will try it out on a semi-steep little hill - which always Rolled all my cars back when 1st at the traffic light.

eoerikson3 04-17-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Yea, OCD is funny. But so is iPhone which dups Text Msgs. And you don't have to worry if you have OCD with an iPhone, cause people tell me, it doesn't even have a 'Back Button' LOLOLOLOL

The iPhone dupes text messages?

eoerikson3 04-17-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

eoerikson3 04-17-2013 03:22 PM

Thank you. Thank you.

The time now is 12:31 PM.