High Speed Vibration @8,000 miles ! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > High Speed Vibration @8,000 miles !

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 11-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

High Speed Vibration @8,000 miles !

I have a high-speed vibration around 70-75 MPH in my wife's 2012 Jeep Liberty 4x4. It only has 8,000 miles on it and has been babied since new and never off-roaded. Mainly driven on flat roads and about 90% highway. The vibration is quite pronounced and is felt through the steering wheel.

I have had the tires/wheels balanced/rotated at least 3 different times. Very little difference made in the vibration.

I've been told (from a couple different Techs) the vibration is from "bad belts" and the tires are "out-of-round" and are defective.

So at 4,000 miles, we got rid of the OEM tires and put on Michelins. Vibration STILL present! So, we were able to talk Michelin into a Warranty replacement set of 4 tires and recently put on a completely brand new, different model Michelin tires.

Guess what ? After 1,000 miles on the brand new tires, the vibration remains !!

VERY frustrated especially since this vehicle only has 8,000 miles on it !

It's going back to the dealership this coming Monday.

My guess is the front struts are defective and/or worn out.

Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

If you are feeling it in the steering wheel, have them check the tie rods. I have a bad CV and it vibrates the floor, but not the steering wheel.
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Very similar problem with my 2010. I have had the tires balanced twice. I replaced the front brakes including rotors. I have had the dealer inspect the wheels as well to make sure they are not out of round or bent. They also inspected all the suspension, with me present. Everything checked out. I have an appointment Saturday for them to determine if they are going to replace the tires under warranty. Me personally??? I think it is a drive shaft or half shaft issue. Thank goodness all that is still covered for a year and a half.

I can feel the vibration in the wheel like you, but I also feel it in the dash and floor as well. More like a "buzz" that the typical pulsing vibration you get from an out of balance tire or warped rotors.

I will update this thread as I fight mine as well.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

It's probably the intermediate axle where it goes into the passenger side CV. Mine was bad as well but I couldn't get the dealer to look at it. I still have them, they won't pull apart, at least not by hand.
While it's in the air, push up on the CV where they go together. Any movement at all and they're bad. No aftermarket parts available yet.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ok, went ahead and did some more tests before I leave for work this afternoon.

1) Vibration noticeable from 60-90 MPH. Most pronounced between 70-75 MPH.
2) Shifting into Neutral between 60-90 MPH doesn't change a thing.
3) Shifting in/out of 4WD at any speed doesn't change a thing.

Jacked the front wheels off the ground

1) Grabbing wheels and shaking, pulling, yanking shows no looseness in the wheel bearings,

2) Grabbing the wheel and rocking (the steering) side to side shows a significant amount of play in the rack and pinion! Rocking it real slow, the play is not significant, but when forcing it quickly side to side does show a very significant amount of play.

Keep in mind, this vehicle only has 8,000 miles and has been vibrating for at least 1/2 that mileage. Yes, we were fighting tire/balancing issues that whole time. NOT thinking components could be defective and/or worn out.

What is considered "normal" when testing the rack and pinion and/or inner tie rods ?
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

What kind of tires, who balanced them and did you try a load force balance. It seems you only have a problem at high speeds, I had a load force balance on mine and it made a significant difference compared to a regular compute balance.
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
What kind of tires, who balanced them and did you try a load force balance. It seems you only have a problem at high speeds, I had a load force balance on mine and it made a significant difference compared to a regular compute balance.
After the POS OEM Goodyears, we are on our 2nd set of Michelins.

Sears Auto Center installed both sets of Michelins. I had (3) different shops balance the various sets.

I have no idea on the force balance. Not sure what that is. Can you elaborate please ?
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

They take measurements like finding the heavy side of the tire and rim and oppose them from each other and they balance the tire while it's pressed against a road wheel. It was about $125 to balance five tires but I'd do it again. It made a very noticeable difference. I still had a bad axle but that's another story.
Unread 11-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

@Katmandu, I hope you don't see my post as thread jacking... I felt it appropriate since I am having the same issues. At least they seem the same on the surface...

Here is where I am at. I took it in to the selling dealer Saturday morning. This is actually a Ford franchise. Mine came with a certification warranty throdugh them in addition to Jeeps 5/100 power train. Also, it had brand new tires installed when I bought it. Well I took the tech out for a ride and showed him exactly where it happens. Showed them that it isn't brakes either.
There is a real easy test to see if you rotors or brakes are causing a vibration. Take it up to highway speed and maintain it as normal. With your left foot very slowly apply light pressure on the brakes. It will start to drag on your speed. As it starts to drag any vibration will intensify if there is a brake component causing your out of balance feel.
Mine passes this test. The vibration stays the same no mater what.
Now mine is not fixed.... In fact there is a Dodge Grand Caravan in my driveway. I give them credit. After messing with it for HOURS on Saturday morning they came to conclusion that they needed to keep it. In fact, in a first for me, they honestly admitted that they couldn't figure it out but assured me that they were going to call in some folks and get to the bottom of things. They even paid for my rental. I told them it was fine as long as I could still get to work and all. I respect their honesty. The service advisor and manager suspect drive shafts or axles. That seems to line up with your issue @Ted15.

BTW @Ted15, I too am in Akron. Over in the Forest Hill section. Small world.
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #10
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I am working through a similar issue that started out as a high speed vibration like you all describe, but that has gotten worse over time and now is almost certainly a bad CV axle or intermediate shaft. My thread on LOST is linked here in case it helps anyone: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=88&t=76981
I am waiting on a replacement CV and intermediate shaft to arrive via UPS, and then I am going to swap them in. I'll post my results in that thread, probably in another week or so.
Unread 11-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just got back from the dealership. 90-95% of the vibration is gone. They claim the simply rebalanced the wheels and the vibration was gone.

I did explain that we are on our 3rd set of tires and we did the rebalancing rotating thing multiple times and it did NOT take of the vibration.

I also told them about the front end bouncing and that it sits 3/4" lower in the front than the 2 Libs on their lot.

They DID replace (under warranty) both front struts though. :smileup:

The ride and handling has improved immensely! Much better than when we drove it off the lot new! I also remeasured the front end and it now sits up at 18 1/2"! Raised it up almost 3/4"!

I believe the struts were defective from the get go.

Those that have vibrations as well, I suggest do what I did. Take measurements of yours and a few other like vehicles identical to yours. Do the bumper bounce test as well and check for excessive bouncing. It should stop after 1 or 2 bounces. NO more than that.
Unread 11-20-2013, 03:47 AM   #12
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

@Katmandu Thanks for posting up your results... Interesting. Gives me another place to look. Unfortunately struts will be on my dime if it needs it. My saga seems to be just beginning. The dealer gave me back mine with no improvement. They claimed the service manager drove it herself and said it was fine. That alone has me really pissed. Sounds like they are trying to dodge the issue. I just wish they would own up and fix it. More to come.....
Unread 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
02jeepliberty

Hello, I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty sport. I recently had the same issue as you. I have 124,000 miles on my liberty, and I replaced the CV joint because it was worn and really "loose". Anyways, after the new one was installed, the vibration was gone. I'm not sure if it would be the fix for you since our liberties are different, but just thought I'd let you all know.
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.