HELP! Leak and rattle above the headliner! - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-17-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
pakman325
Registered User
2015  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 131
HELP! Leak and rattle above the headliner!

Got in the car just now to head to the hardware store and I saw one of the trim pieces above the liftgate dump about a half cup of water onto my cargo mat.

She's usually garage kept but I was doing some home improvement work and left the kk in the driveway last night in the rain.

Today as I drive it, I could hear a rattling above the passenger C pillar.

Any idea where I should start?

Attached Images
   
pakman325 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 11-17-2013, 08:44 PM
lfhoward
Registered User
2008 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Morrisville
Posts: 813
I am not sure about the rattle but I had a similar leak in my '08. According to what I've read, this could either be a leak around your roof rack bolts, or water is getting under the rubber seal around your hatch door. In my case it was the latter. I pulled the rubber seal off from about 9:00 to 3:00 (if you think of the hatch opening as a clock face), and then used a good amount of RTV silicone to seal it back on. I did check the roof studs and the welds around the hatch too though. You can pull off that center trim piece by pulling down in the center. Once the metal clips disengage, you can dislodge the tabs on the left and right sides and take it off (the half cup of water pools in this trim piece, by the way). From there you can see above the headliner with a flashlight and see if water is coming in through the roof rack stud area. Good luck!

2008 Liberty Sport 4x4 Automatic
lfhoward is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 11-18-2013, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
pakman325
Registered User
2015  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward
I am not sure about the rattle but I had a similar leak in my '08. According to what I've read, this could either be a leak around your roof rack bolts, or water is getting under the rubber seal around your hatch door. In my case it was the latter. I pulled the rubber seal off from about 9:00 to 3:00 (if you think of the hatch opening as a clock face), and then used a good amount of RTV silicone to seal it back on. I did check the roof studs and the welds around the hatch too though. You can pull off that center trim piece by pulling down in the center. Once the metal clips disengage, you can dislodge the tabs on the left and right sides and take it off (the half cup of water pools in this trim piece, by the way). From there you can see above the headliner with a flashlight and see if water is coming in through the roof rack stud area. Good luck!
Thanks. After looking at it a little more closely, there was a messed up weatherstripping on the rear passenger door. It kinked and didn't sit right when the door closed and the sound was buffeting in the wind. Now to clean the headliner...
pakman325 is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
pakman325
Registered User
2015  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 131
I didn't update this for a while, but it's definitely still an issue. I'm at my freaking wit's end with this same leak. Even though I thought it was earlier, mine was decidedly not the weatherstripping seal around the liftgate opening, which seems to have been documented elsewhere. I thought that could have been it after I generously reapplied sealant to that seal, but after a huge rainstorm I got the biggest puddle of water on my trunk mat that I had ever seen. Maybe 10-12 ounces.

I'm now thinking it could be the roof rails. How would I go about disassembling them and applying RTV sealant to them?

Also, what do I need to do to limit rusting in between the frame panels? I have seen small amounts of it when trying to trace the leak.
pakman325 is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Lanman526
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pakman325
I didn't update this for a while, but it's definitely still an issue. I'm at my freaking wit's end with this same leak. Even though I thought it was earlier, mine was decidedly not the weatherstripping seal around the liftgate opening, which seems to have been documented elsewhere. I thought that could have been it after I generously reapplied sealant to that seal, but after a huge rainstorm I got the biggest puddle of water on my trunk mat that I had ever seen. Maybe 10-12 ounces. I'm now thinking it could be the roof rails. How would I go about disassembling them and applying RTV sealant to them? Also, what do I need to do to limit rusting in between the frame panels? I have seen small amounts of it when trying to trace the leak.
I just came across this looking for help with a different water leak. Not sure if it's still any worry to you...I had water leaking in the same spot and it was coming in easily. I located my leak to be the wielded seal around the frame of the tailgate where the bracket is bolted for the lift gate. Mine was even on the same side. I bought some cheap sealer putty and it hasn't been a problem since. I could add photos if it'd help.

Now, I got to fix the other water leak.
Lanman526 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
pakman325
Registered User
2015  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanman526 View Post
I just came across this looking for help with a different water leak. Not sure if it's still any worry to you...I had water leaking in the same spot and it was coming in easily. I located my leak to be the wielded seal around the frame of the tailgate where the bracket is bolted for the lift gate. Mine was even on the same side. I bought some cheap sealer putty and it hasn't been a problem since. I could add photos if it'd help.

Now, I got to fix the other water leak.
It's definitely still an issue for me. And I have an issue with the TIPM that may be independent which at this moment means no A/C.

My daughter was born in May, so the jeep was essentially just garage kept through the summer. Still have to get it sorted out...
pakman325 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome