HELP! Leak and rattle above the headliner! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > HELP! Leak and rattle above the headliner!

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
pakman325
2008 KK Liberty 

HELP! Leak and rattle above the headliner!

Got in the car just now to head to the hardware store and I saw one of the trim pieces above the liftgate dump about a half cup of water onto my cargo mat.

She's usually garage kept but I was doing some home improvement work and left the kk in the driveway last night in the rain.

Today as I drive it, I could hear a rattling above the passenger C pillar.

Any idea where I should start?

image-1289711785.jpg

image-862225121.jpg

pakman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I am not sure about the rattle but I had a similar leak in my '08. According to what I've read, this could either be a leak around your roof rack bolts, or water is getting under the rubber seal around your hatch door. In my case it was the latter. I pulled the rubber seal off from about 9:00 to 3:00 (if you think of the hatch opening as a clock face), and then used a good amount of RTV silicone to seal it back on. I did check the roof studs and the welds around the hatch too though. You can pull off that center trim piece by pulling down in the center. Once the metal clips disengage, you can dislodge the tabs on the left and right sides and take it off (the half cup of water pools in this trim piece, by the way). From there you can see above the headliner with a flashlight and see if water is coming in through the roof rack stud area. Good luck!
Unread 11-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
pakman325
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward
I am not sure about the rattle but I had a similar leak in my '08. According to what I've read, this could either be a leak around your roof rack bolts, or water is getting under the rubber seal around your hatch door. In my case it was the latter. I pulled the rubber seal off from about 9:00 to 3:00 (if you think of the hatch opening as a clock face), and then used a good amount of RTV silicone to seal it back on. I did check the roof studs and the welds around the hatch too though. You can pull off that center trim piece by pulling down in the center. Once the metal clips disengage, you can dislodge the tabs on the left and right sides and take it off (the half cup of water pools in this trim piece, by the way). From there you can see above the headliner with a flashlight and see if water is coming in through the roof rack stud area. Good luck!
Thanks. After looking at it a little more closely, there was a messed up weatherstripping on the rear passenger door. It kinked and didn't sit right when the door closed and the sound was buffeting in the wind. Now to clean the headliner...
Unread 04-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
pakman325
2008 KK Liberty 

I didn't update this for a while, but it's definitely still an issue. I'm at my freaking wit's end with this same leak. Even though I thought it was earlier, mine was decidedly not the weatherstripping seal around the liftgate opening, which seems to have been documented elsewhere. I thought that could have been it after I generously reapplied sealant to that seal, but after a huge rainstorm I got the biggest puddle of water on my trunk mat that I had ever seen. Maybe 10-12 ounces.

I'm now thinking it could be the roof rails. How would I go about disassembling them and applying RTV sealant to them?

Also, what do I need to do to limit rusting in between the frame panels? I have seen small amounts of it when trying to trace the leak.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.