Help with back glass on lift gate - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Help with back glass on lift gate

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
BlackDonnelly
2008 KK Liberty 

Had this happen about a week ago. Went to my Jeep dealer to find out that the hinges are back ordered North America wide until October, maybe. Frustrating as hell. I've had black Gorilla tape holding it together which is working well, but it looks terrible. My only gripe with Jeep are their s*it hinges. I had to replace the hinges on my '98 TJ twice. Just bought an '08 Liberty to have the same thing happen a week after I bought it. Shame on you Jeep. I've just finished an epoxy job, hopefully it will hold until the new hinges come in. The part No. is 57010060-AB if anybody can find them.

BlackDonnelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
Yakker
2008 KK Liberty 

I have no suggestion for finding new hinges but maybe a preventative idea-our '06 Liberty has drain holes at the bottom of its rear window hinges-noticed these years ago every time I wash it,water and crud flows right thru,didn't think much of it but now our '08's rear hinges are corroding-thinking about drilling drain holes in the bottom of them
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
BlackDonnelly
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakker
I have no suggestion for finding new hinges but maybe a preventative idea-our '06 Liberty has drain holes at the bottom of its rear window hinges-noticed these years ago every time I wash it,water and crud flows right thru,didn't think much of it but now our '08's rear hinges are corroding-thinking about drilling drain holes in the bottom of them
Does your '06 have corrosion issues at the hinges? My '98 TJ had the same problem i'm having now. The best my research can divulge is that the hinges are galvanized with zinc. A very bad oversight by Jeep. Zinc is very anti corrosive, but also very reactive. So mixing metals in the hinges, or between the hinge and the bolt will cause that grey/white corrosion that i've always had on my Jeep hinges.
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
Yakker
2008 KK Liberty 

the '06 hinges are not too bad- I noticed the corrosion on the '08 about the same time as the original posting on this thread(a crack in the side of the hinge and white stuff creeping out-looking almost like road salt-I know it's not but it's just a maddening reminder that you can't escape that crap up here) couple months ago started to spray a little oil in the hinges to displace water and maybe stop the corrosion 'til I come up with a permanent solution-don't know if drain holes are the answer but if you could see the way water and dirt flows thru the hinges on the '06 gettin' out the drill might seem like a good idea LOL
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #20
_benjammin
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakker View Post
...couple months ago started to spray a little oil in the hinges to displace water and maybe stop the corrosion 'til I come up with a permanent solution-...
Try spraying with Fluid Film:
_benjammin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
Yakker
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanx for the tip-looked at Fluid film on the Net-sounds great-will give it a try
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
BlackDonnelly
2008 KK Liberty 

Fluid Film definately seems like it's worth a shot. I wonder how it penerates, as the corrosion seems to rot the hinges from the inside out.
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
Buckeye89YJ
KK Liberty 

I know this is an old thread, but it recently helped me with my hinge. Ours broke while on vacation, so I glued the hinge back on and taped around the window. I tried insurance, but they did not want to do anything since the glass was not broken. I called my local dealer with the part number listed above and they got for me next day at a cost of $40. There are different part numbers for the left and right, mine was the passanger side. Thanks for posting the part number, if I had not seen that I probably would have replaced the whole window since I was originally told the hinges only come with the window. Here are a couple pics.

Buckeye89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
Yakker
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for posting the pics Buckeye-a good reminder of what I' ll prob be doing this spring after another salty winter up here Lol glad it worked out for you-I'll be using that part numb in a few months
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #25
jonner519

Buckeye - I have the same problem. The hinge is rusted out and detached from the window ... but my problem is that the part attached to the window is rusted out too ... it actually looks exactly like your pictures but it seems like you were able to attach still? Please advise how you were able to attached? Thx.
jonner519 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
Buckeye89YJ
KK Liberty 

There is a small hole in the glass for the bolt to go though. I did not take a picture of the window without the hinge attached, but I did take a picture of the new hinge before I installed it. The new hinge came with a new bolt to go through the window. My window was fine once I got the old bolt out.

Unread 12-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #27
jonner519

Great. Thanks for the response. I ordered the hinges. I actually ordered for both sides as the driver side is almost about to give way too upon closer inspection. Jeez. They came in today but I'm out of town so I can't pick them up until later this week.

Buckeye - were you able to reinstall the new hinges yourself or should I bring it to a glass guy to do it? Thoughts?
jonner519 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #28
Buckeye89YJ
KK Liberty 

I did it myself, only took a few minutes, it is only 2 bolts. Hardest part was getting the bolt out of the glass. I took my time and was careful so I didnt damage the glass.
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #29
Gageraid
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for posting pictures. I'm sure a few more of us will have to do this eventually.
Gageraid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #30
SMTTT88
2010 KK Liberty 

I had the same experience with my 2010 Liberty, thanks to all the posters here for their help. It saved me lots of wasted time and $$. Here are my findings:

--My hinge was the driver side. That part# is 57010061AB.
--The guy at the dealer said the same thing... that for the 2010 model only the entire window assembly was available. However, we did find the hinges listed for the 2008 Liberty.
They were not in the diagram, but as parts not pictured. I got the part the next after ordering, $43.
--Be careful if you use duct tape to hold the glass in place temporarily... I lost a little paint when I removed the tape. Luckily, it was on the part under the hinge.
--That Torx screw was very difficult to remove. I had better luck putting the torx bit (T-25) in a ratchet wrench rather than a screwdriver. You get more leverage.

Good luck!
Greg
2013-12-24-14.17.23.jpg

2013-12-24-14.16.38.jpg

2013-12-24-14.18.42.jpg

2013-12-24-14.27.15.jpg

SMTTT88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.