JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   KK Liberty Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/)
-   -   Help with back glass on lift gate (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/help-back-glass-lift-gate-1460124/)

kmccoy 01-07-2013 09:51 AM

Help with back glass on lift gate

2 Attachment(s)
The hinges that hold the rear glass in my lift gate have corroded and broke loose. My husband accidentally closed the gate with the window open and the window fell out! Did not hit the ground because the shocks were still connected, so we were able to put it back in. The only thing that is holding the glass in is to latch it at the bottom. I cannot seem to find these hinges anywhere! Does anyone know if I can buy the hinges separately or if I have to buy a whole new rear glass assembly? I have found some on e-bay but they are for the older model Jeep Liberty. Anyone else have this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jonrjen 01-07-2013 09:58 AM

Have you tried contacting a local auto glass company? They should have a source to obtain them. Or a local body shop. It that doesn't work check a few salvage yards.

rescue575 01-07-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmccoy
The hinges that hold the rear glass in my lift gate have corroded and broke loose. My husband accidentally closed the gate with the window open and the window fell out! Did not hit the ground because the shocks were still connected, so we were able to put it back in. The only thing that is holding the glass in is to latch it at the bottom. I cannot seem to find these hinges anywhere! Does anyone know if I can buy the hinges separately or if I have to buy a whole new rear glass assembly? I have found some on e-bay but they are for the older model Jeep Liberty. Anyone else have this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have to ask.....do you park that think on top of a salt mountain or something? Sheesh!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

kmccoy 01-08-2013 06:21 AM

Both sides are like this. I live in WV so salt is used on the roads for snow, but not enough to do this much damage.. or at least I wouldn't think !

kmccoy 01-08-2013 06:21 AM

Thanks jonrjen I will do that. I was hoping to find them online but haven't had any luck so far.

jonrjen 01-08-2013 08:20 AM

I did Google this part and came up with a few hits. They are pretty proud of them, a glass installer or salvage yard may still be your better bet.

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/s...sembly=1031611

kmccoy 01-09-2013 06:05 AM

I had found that before, but it's not showing that it will fit a 2008. Under the diagram it says Product Fitment/Applications and all thats listed is 2006 & 2007, not sure why? Thanks for your help though.

jonrjen 01-09-2013 07:08 AM

You know after thinking about this...well, I mean it is a Jeep. And Jeeps are rugged vehicles..Right. Designed to tackle more than most like sized SUVs on the road. How about some Gorilla Duct Tape? That stull if tuff in a major way. And it comes in a limited color selection. Flip up glass access windows are over rated anyway....it is much more Jeep like to raise the entire lift gate.

Just kidding with you (or am I). Give it time a few sets of hinges will show up at some point. I'll keep my eyes open for you,

eoerikson3 01-09-2013 10:15 AM

Have you tried the dealer for part numbers, etc?
And for used parts try this. www.car-part.com

kmccoy 01-09-2013 06:35 PM

Called Safelite auto glass company and they said that the hinges are a dealer part only. Called the dealer and they say I have to buy a whole new glass assembly ... $635!! sheesh ... Going to look around at some junk yards and see if I can find it cheaper or if they will just sell me the hinges. Thanks everyone for your help!

dsantin 01-23-2013 09:32 AM

lift glass hinges

Same in everyway for my 2008. My rugged jeep with sore eye from winter hardships- heck- why buy a jeep if winter makes hardware break!!! Jeep wants whole thing. Glass company can not do any better. To rare a car to find in wreckers. Tried similar models at wreckers but part seems specific. If anyone has any ideas let me know please. I would even consider fusing or attaching glass permanently and not have it open.

nohojeep 02-06-2013 08:11 PM

rear hatch window corroded hinge 2008 Liberty

Same thing just happened to my 2008 Liberty at 65,000 miles. Back hinge corroded and cracked. Need to replace the whole window unit-can't just replace hinges. Sure seems like a defect to me that should be reimbursed through Jeep.

adammillers 07-31-2013 12:18 PM

http://static.squarespace.com/static...g?format=1000w http://static.squarespace.com/static...g?format=1000w

Same problem happened to my 2008 Jeep liberty at around 74,000 miles. I initially tried to glue it together using industrial strength epoxy, but this broke after about a month. I just today drilled out the original bolt, and attached my own. It looks terrible, but it's so small I don't think anyone will notice. Mostly I just wanted it to stop rattling and have less worry about the glass completely breaking.

09jeeplimted 08-01-2013 04:14 PM

I am new to this site and was just trolling the forum when I came across this post. This just happened to my 09 jeep liberty limited and I didnt know what to do because as most of you know you have to buy the whole window which costs around $600.00. So after a couple hours of thinking I came up with the idea that maybe the insurance would cover it because I have full glass just as most people do on a new car. And I called an auto glass place and what do you know. The next morning I was getting my new back glass with hinges installed at no cost did not cost me a dime. just thought i would let others know in the same situation.

LKWJEEPER 08-02-2013 06:09 PM

That's a good point that I wouldn't have even thought off.. Glad yours was fixed by using insurance.

The time now is 08:16 PM.