Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help/Advice on Glider/Slider Roof

7K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Jeepmasterchief 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am writing to ask for advice. I tried once before on the forum but did not get any feedback, whatsoever. I own a 2011 Jeep Liberty which I love. I always wanted a Jeep, thanks to my fiance who owns an awesome Wrangler, but should not have gotten one with the glider/slider roof or whatever it is called. It is just a waste as I am really not able to use the roof. It's buckeling, it now leaks inside the Jeep when its rains and I need advice, Please!!!!!

What can I do to fix all of he above? It is driving me mad. I know I cannot be the only person on the planet with one of these Jeep Liberty glider/slider roofs. For those of you who have one What was your fix?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Please, please refrain from sarcastic remarks.

Thanks kindly!

Jude

#2 ·
Hi Jude. I have a 2008 with the sky slider. We love our Libby and had issues with our roof and had the entire roof replaced.thx to a friend that wrked at the dealership. That was 3 yrs ago. Since then I try to take very careful attention to her roof.

Bottom line. Go back to the dealership have them replace it. It cost us 1300ish.

Good luck.

Laz

#3 ·
If you google skyslider jeep liberty you will find some resources and videos. If it's that damaged sounds like it needs to be replaced. Some people have done the weather stripping method but I have no experience. I think that can void any warranty but worth considering I suppose.

I just bought a 2012 liberty with the sky slider and it is one of my favorite features. However I am very nervous about it over the long haul. Trying to just be extremely careful only opening and closing it while not moving, keeping a close eye on it, and I am looking into wind deflectors since I do so many highway miles. If you get your roof replaced and keep the vehicle I would suggest spending some time researching. If I can find an appropriate wind deflector I will post for sure.

#6 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum here but I'm about to purchase a 2008 Liberty with sky slider. Bought an 05 Liberty for my wife and it has been great. This one seems to be pretty nice too but the one thing I noticed was the wind noise. Does anyone have an update about that issue? I just purchased something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351349825956?item=351349825956&viewitem=&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true apparently it fits my model of jeep. Just wondering if anyone has resolved this issue as I called a jeep dealer and they dont have anything in stock for the problem... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#7 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum here but I'm about to purchase a 2008 Liberty with sky slider......
IMO - after reading all the horror stories about the slider, you couldn't run fast enough to get me to buy a jeep with one. unless, the seller discounts their car at least $5000 to cover all the hassle and expense you're about to go through.

BUT, that's just me

#8 ·
The jeep was a pretty good price and supposedly there are hasn't been any issues with it. Getting it from a dealership so their reputation is at stake. It only has 65k miles. A little scared about the purchase. For anyone on here, how long did you all have it before you noticed some significant problems with the roof?

#9 ·
I've got one on my 08 and I've never had any problems thus far. I'm at 75k. Just make sure you thoroughly inspect the headliner for any signs of leaks or previous leaks i.e. stains. Run the slider back and forth as well. It will go all the way forward as well as all the way back. Make sure if functions 100% before you sign anything. As for noise.. Well there are a few tricks to quiet them down but they are still much quieter then a jk soft top.

#11 ·
Whenever I have it open I usually clean / wipe down and use an air compressor to blow out the tracks to make sure there is no debris or buildup in them. If you are going to use any grease, I suggest a THIN coat of white lithium grease. To much buildup of grease will only cause issues in my opinion. I prefer the "keep it clean and simple" approach. And like my father taught me.. "If it ain't broke..don't fix it"

#13 ·
I have a 2008 jeep liberty with the sky slider roof and I have had zero issues with it for three years now. Yes the one thing that bothers me is the wind noise but must say they put a kick A$$ sound system in there that drowns it out nice. I am looking at getting one of those wind guards for it but not in a big rush. The only thing that really bugs me is the material that attaches at the front keeps becoming unstuck from the heat weakening the adhesive of the velcro that holds it there. I am looking at finding some wider strips of velcro and will be trying to loosen the aluminum track so I can slide some of the velcro inside then tighten it back up. This would be a 100% fix if I can do it. In the meantime I just stick it back on all the time, much easier pushing one button to have an open roof than a soft top on a jeep wrangler. It is so worth it to me, I would pay extra to fix if I have to. Love having open roof with no hassle.

#14 ·
In about 2 weeks, I have to do two repairs to a Sky Slider. It has one cable broken and the front drive assembly is broken. My guess is that the previous owner experienced the broken front drive assembly (which jammed it), and then kept grinding the motor until it chewed through the cable.

I have yet to find any helpful videos on repairing these, so I may just record a lot of what I'm experiencing. With the FSM in one hand and a beer in the other, my early review is that I'm going to have to completely tear it down to get these parts replaced.

Are there any aspects of the Sky Slider that you all think need documenting?

#15 ·
Yes....all of it. Seriously, you're entering pretty uncharted territory. I'm sure many would appreciate any info and pics you can supply.

I recommend checking LOST. There's a few sky slider topics there. Not sure if any could help though. I try to avoid these skyslider issues. Tends to get my hope down for mine to last...

#17 ·
Yes, I've torn down and reassembled the sky slider twice now (3 cables broken). I think I'm an expert. :)

I have video and pictures .... well, at least I think I have video somewhere ... what do you think you need?

#18 ·
I have had a change in behavior with my skyslider. I used to be able to just press the middle button once and the top would close completely. Now it closes 98% and then I have to press and hold the middle button until it closes completely. Sounds like its really tightening it but nothing bad but I am concerned. Do you have any idea what happened?

#20 ·
The back driver side corner is not 100% locked down so when I shut a door the air compression can sometimes pop it out of the track but if you can find a way to lock it down with maybe a zip-tie underneath that may work. The front works fine and does shut properly with one touch at times and others I have to hold down the forward button. I believe I broke one of the cables because the rear will not slide forward but I never used it that way anyhow so I'm OK with that. As is, it works fine and could continue to use it the way it is but I recently inherited a new truck so I sold it before I could not close it at all. I don't know if that will happen in the near future but if it did I would be SOL!

I did place a 3/8 piece of weather stripping in the front lip of the roof and it cut down the noise by 50%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.