Help with 2008 Libby heat issues (and more).. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Help with 2008 Libby heat issues (and more)..

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
tjd241
2013 JK Wrangler 

Help with 2008 Libby heat issues (and more)..

We're in trouble with our Libby. Heat stopped coming out about 2 weeks ago. Our mechanic diagnosed it as needing a new water pump ($400). Said upon inspection the impeller was shot. The job was done and heat came back. 1 week ago it started blowing cold again. Took it back in and the guy said there was an air gap in the system. Bled the system, refilled supposedly, and once again heat came back. Yesterday we go out to start it in the AM and it's only blowing luke warm, just a short ride around the block and decided not to drive it... Wait for the shop to open Monday. Today I see a puddle of coolant in the driveway under the driver side back of the engine and I have coolant leaked into the inside floor on both sides. Padding under the carpet is soaked and the carpet in spots is also. I removed the mouldings and shoved cut up towels in there under the padding and inbetween the padding and the carpet. What a freakin mess. If it's the heater core I think I'm screwed. I've always trusted this guy and now I have my doubts. He said when I first brought it in that if it was the core we'd know it... It'd be a mess. Well... $400 later... yup it's a mess dammit.

Questions:

Did the guy just throw the waterpump at it or could that have been bad too?

Sound like the core is shot?

Could the guy have done this backflushing it?

Am I going to be able to clean the carpets?

Jeebus what about the padding?

... and the cost??... now that I'm $400 in the red???

Help... please ! !

tjd241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

One thing I've found with leaks in vehicles is.................

As soon as you stop one leak the system finds the next weak point and with cooling systems can be within a few miles of fixing the original leak.

Expect about $1200 for the replacement of the heater core.
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
tjd241
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yup... Heater Core...

My local guy really helped me out. He did the job in 1 day and only charged me $750. .... Because of the multiple trips and $400 already in the hole, he went easy on the job cost. (besides the fact that he knows he gets 90% of my repair work on this and my TJ and I'll be back for something). Anyhow, I tested it last night from a cold start-up and it seems to be back to being it's normal toasty self. It was always pretty fast to heat up in the winter and almost gets too warm. Now just have to deal with the clean-up. I got most of it soaked up when it happened with old towels layered between floor/padding/carpet.

Should the padding dry out under the carpet??

Do these type of carpets shampoo well?

Any recommendations on a specific carpet product or method??

Thanx in advance... tjd
tjd241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Its been my experience that carpet saturation is a bad bad thing. I had an Amigo that i took and "washed" the carpet. OK it wasn't my brightest moment. Even airing out (it was a convertible) the padding WOULD NOT DRY. Left a really nasty odor at that point. I ended up pulling out everything and leaving in the sun to air dry, put in some fragrance, and put back together. I think it would have molded and never dried out. BLUF: You're going to need to separate the two and dry it somehow.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
eoerikson3
2011 KK Liberty 

Would those moisture absorbing gel packs help in a case like this? http://www.dri-it.com/ Just bouncing an idea out there.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Added tow hitch, tow hooks, skid plates, foglight kit and headlight masks, remote start, chrome steps, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 235/75R16.
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f128/2008-2012-liberty-kk-electrical-parts-1517747/"]Stuff for sale[/URL]
eoerikson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Seems like it would. Still probably need to get access under carpet with the packs and let them do the work sufficiently. My butt is too cheap. Id be out there with heat gun under carpet for hours. But you have to get to the padding as well. You can blow heat on the carpet all you want and think you're good. But trust me. That padding is still soaked!
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

My last vehicle got flooded while at a country concert (I hate country music) and I wasn't able to go get it for TWO WEEKS. Needless to say it smelled like a waste water treatment plant inside. I removed the entire interior including the carpet and used a rug doctor to clean it and let it dry outside for a couple days. Worked awesome but what a pain
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.