Help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Help!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 08-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
LUV4JEEP

Help!!

Need coolant for my 2009KK what kind do I get?

LUV4JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
x99j

Xerex g-05 or from the dealer. Both are the same chemistry.

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
LUV4JEEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by x99j
Thanks!
LUV4JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x99j View Post
Be carefull as Chrysler dealers now stock Dexcool for the '13+.Make sure you get the correct HOAT coolant not the OAT coolant.
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
JeepGeezer
2012 KK Liberty 

Last year I flushed and refilled my 90s-era 1st-gen GC with Peak Global Lifetime Antifreeze/Coolant, diluted to 50/50 concentration with distilled water I got from Walmart. Yes I took the old coolant and rinsed fluid (I used distilled water to rinse the system out, too) to a hazardous waste disposal facility along with my other used automotive/motorcycle fluids. Yes the "lifetime" coolant costs more than standard types. This newer type coolant seems not to precipitate out on/clog the radiator passages, etc and is not supposed to eat water pump seals, etc the way the old silicate formulas did. This Peak stuff is yellow and is supposed to work in all vehicles new or old. In spite of its "lifetime" label and warranty, I still plan to flush and refill every 5 years.

I had also planned to use it in my new 2012 KK. The online service manual for my new KK warns of the need for a special procedure/equipment for eliminating air from the cooling system when refiling it after draining, due to a newer "closed" system that I suppose isolates the cooling system from the (California) atmosphere. Don't know if that procedure applies to your rig.

Check into the Peak lifetime stuff!

Last edited by JeepGeezer; 08-18-2013 at 12:43 AM..
JeepGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGeezer View Post
Last year I flushed and refilled my 90s-era 1st-gen GC with Peak Global Lifetime Antifreeze/Coolant, diluted to 50/50 concentration with distilled water I got from Walmart. Yes I took the old coolant and rinsed fluid (I used distilled water to rinse the system out, too) to a hazardous waste disposal facility along with my other used automotive/motorcycle fluids. Yes the "lifetime" coolant costs more than standard types. This newer type coolant seems not to precipitate out on/clog the radiator passages, etc and is not supposed to eat water pump seals, etc the way the old silicate formulas did. This Peak stuff is yellow and is supposed to work in all vehicles new or old. In spite of its "lifetime" label and warranty, I still plan to flush and refill every 5 years.

I had also planned to use it in my new 2012 KK. The online service manual for my new KK warns of the need for a special procedure/equipment for eliminating air from the cooling system when refiling it after draining, due to a newer "closed" system that I suppose isolates the cooling system from the (California) atmosphere. Don't know if that procedure applies to your rig.

Check into the Peak lifetime stuff!
That stuff is the wrong coolant,HOAT coolant only and that stuff is not HOAT,it's a OAT coolant.
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
JeepGeezer
2012 KK Liberty 

KK owner's materials specify HOAT or equivalent, which the Peak lifetime stuff is; it's rated for Chrysler MS9769, which is another way of saying for the KKs. Not conclusive, but as additional reasoning, why would a company as large as the ones making and selling Peak deliberately misstate over a period of so many years the rating of the product?
JeepGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGeezer View Post
KK owner's materials specify HOAT or equivalent, which the Peak lifetime stuff is; it's rated for Chrysler MS9769, which is another way of saying for the KKs. Not conclusive, but as additional reasoning, why would a company as large as the ones making and selling Peak deliberately misstate over a period of so many years the rating of the product?
Prestone states the same thing and they only make OAT coolants,they were even court ordered to stop about 10 years ago but did not.That peak coolant is missing one chemical that is needed in your cooling system,silicates.

Go to Napa and buy Zerex GO5 coolant,gold bottle.That is the correct coolant for your Jeep.Of course the dealership has HOAT coolant also but be warned model year '13+ use OAT coolants.Ford dealerships also have HOAT coolant,there Premium Gold coolant is HOAT.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.