Help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Help!

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #16
davidshain
2009 JK Wrangler 

So, I have stock 18" chime covered wheels now with crappy Goodyears. Any tire suggestions out there?

davidshain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidshain View Post
2 wheel drive that is! Stupid keyboard!
With an open differential it very well could be a 1 wheel drive depending the surface conditions. That's why a locker was suggested.

I'll never forget the first time I learned about open differentials. I had my 2wd truck parked in the driveway during the winter. One rear wheel on ice and the other on gravel. I tried to pull it forward and it would not go anywhere. What the heck is broken now I thought, an axle? I had the wheels off and was pushing and pulling. Turning and wiggling. Brakes weren't binding, etc. Went to the internet and started reading about 2wd and then I realized my foolishness. With an open differential if one wheel loses traction(like on ice) all the power goes to that wheel leaving none or little for the other wheel even though it was on gravel. You may have heard the phrase "one wheel wonder". This refers to 2wd with open differential. This is what the vast majority of 2wd's are. So your post was not that far off.

A locker would basically lock the two wheels together so they get equal power all the time. I've never had a locker or know how they handle, but it sounds like a decent option. If you can lock the rear wheels when you get stuck it certainly would be better than the one wheel wonder.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
davidshain
2009 JK Wrangler 

This is true Rob on the posi track. I remember using this in drag racing, more off the track than on! 68 Cougar and 70 Road Runner! Car literally jumps off the line even when rolling starts! My Liberty has a trac loc on it. I need to see if it does what I hope it does, if so I'm good to go with a nice set of all terrains and plasti dip all the chrome black! She will more on road than off.
davidshain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #19
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidshain View Post
So, I have stock 18" chime covered wheels now with crappy Goodyears. Any tire suggestions out there?
Dump the 18s and go with some 16 inch wheels much better choice of tires
do a clevis lift and gain 3/4 of an inch, need more throw on a top plate and have 1.25 inches of lift total from both real easy and cheap ( well plus an alignment )

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.