At the helm KK rear bumper with tire carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > At the helm KK rear bumper with tire carrier

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-15-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
AtTheHelm

At the helm KK rear bumper with tire carrier

Pretty much done here. The plate is in a temporary location in these pics, it will be bolted to the center of the bumper and have mini led's to stay legal. I drove around with it on for a couple days to check for rattles etc and it's silent. Just needed to make a bolt on clamp to keep the hilift body from sliding down and keep it from rattling. The flat plate is there for a Jerry can mount to be bolted on.
Note the receiver, that's as high and as tucked in as physically possible. Safety chains can be fastened to shackles via the 3/4" shackle tabs and the pin is inserted behind the bumper.
I'm really happy with the latching system, its a De Sta Co 341 mounted at an angle to pull it forward and down into a stop. It really keeps it locked down tight and has a double locking handle for added security. The pop pin I used automatically slides up a ramp into a 'J bracket' to hold the arm open when getting into the cargo area. It literally takes 3 seconds to open or close the arm, way easier than I initially thought. I have to credit an awesome bumper builder for the design of the pop pin and latch mounting style, he goes by BESRK on a few forums. I've been doing business with him for a while now for various parts, great guy. Highly recommend if anyone is in need of CJ/YJ/TJ bumpers.
The hinge is the biggest I could find, its a massive 1.75"-1750lb spindle that uses a slip fit sleeve so no welding on the spindle itself. Welding the spindle causes it to become brittle leading to possible failure at the weldment. The sleeve is inserted first, then welding that shrinks itself onto the spindle. Its very solid and smooth as butter when opening an closing.
The hi lift mount is basically a 'nest' with two grade 8 studs that the jack is bolted to using either wing nuts or lock nuts.

(Dust cap on hinge not installed yet)

AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
LibertyRS
2012 KK Liberty 

This is BADA$$. Great work again!!
LibertyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

Nice!
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

Let me know when you're selling that specific rear bumper...bahaha
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Show off
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
RENE65
2008 KK Liberty 

That thing looks great but massive, how much does it weight.It must add a lot of weight on the back of the kk
RENE65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENE65
That thing looks great but massive, how much does it weight.It must add a lot of weight on the back of the kk
The bumper with spindle installed weighs 118 lbs, the swing arm weighs 48. I wish I could make these lighter and smaller, but the KK's unibody is tough to work around.
Unread 07-16-2014, 10:37 PM   #8
NAMoulton
2010 KK Liberty 

How much sag, if any, is there from all that weight?
Unread 07-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
AtTheHelm

I should have measured, but didn't. There wasn't any noticeable drop with my ome 731's, maybe 1/2" vs no bumper at all. Something to remember here is that the factory bumper and receiver (if equipped) are being deleted so that weight is removed before installing this bumper.
Unread 07-17-2014, 02:38 AM   #10
mikzor

Looking good mate, great work.
mikzor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.