Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hello Everybody! SW CO in a KK!

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  AlterCow 
#1 ·
Hello folks. This is my first post and my first Jeep. My wife and I bought a KK Sport back in 08 and we love it. It has been a great trucker and has saved our ***** trying to get into town after the epic snow dumps we get in the Southwest Colorado San Juans. We have done some minor offroading in it and love the descent control going over the mountain passes.

It is currently without any mods. I hope by the end of the year we can get a few perks on this: 2" lift, beefier tires, roof rack rails with a cargo basket and ski mount, tow hitch and bike carrier. I know we won't get ALL of these things ay once, but a few of them would be nice in order to take advantage of the utility of a JEEP.

This bugger works well on the highway, which is good considering we have to commute about 25 miles into town for work, play and supplies. Offroad, since we are pretty green when it comes to offroading, it works well, but I bet we could get this thing optimized.

Any input on upgrades that are durable and yet inexpensive (budget minded) would be greatly appreciated. Our fortes in life aren't really car related, but we still want this JEEP to be a badass.

Thanks for being here. I look forward to your posts. :2thumbsup::cheers2:

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome:wave:
we owned an 04 liberty and it was a pretty nice rig. It was stock and the wife commuted 35 miles to work in Cincy. We considered another one last year,but traded it in for the Commander. Only Jeeps in my garage:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Thanks. :D

What kind of engine is in the Commander? Is it a 3.7liter 6 cylinder? Feed my curiosity and tell me what it averages MPG. The reason I wonder is because it looks like the Commander has more weight. Our KK averages 22mpg.

I wish I could say the same about only have JEEPS, but we have more Hondas than JEEPs right now. I tried talking the missus into letting me buy an old J-series or CJ when we sell the civic, but she said something about saving for one... I don't know... I couldn't hear her over my heart beating as I gazed over the rigs on this site and for sale on eBay.

#6 · (Edited)
Maybe it's weight...Maybe it is we never use the air conditioner, except when putting around Moab? I think it actually averages about 20mpg, 21 on a good day. During the winter it is our main commuter. I put that MPG in there to satisfy the missus, but honestly, she doesn't pay attention to it. :laugh: So, let's say 20 mpg. 23 mpg was listed on the sticker when we bought it and I think we got that a few times in the first months of owning the beast.

#8 ·
Congrats on the KK. Southwestern Colorado is beautiful. I took my KK on its first 4-wheelin' experience when it had less than 3K miles and was less than 5 months old. Took it to meet other Liberty and Wrangler owners and 4-wheel on trails around Ouray last July. You can find more info, and photos, here.

As for initial mods, it should depend upon what your intended use is. I certainly would recommend a (true) suspension lift, better tires (as the OEM ones are not that good since they're intended for low cost/better mileage), then maybe rock rail sliders, etc. You can also go the street performance route and add a chip, CAI (cold air induction), upgraded exhaust, etc.

#9 ·
Very good info! I think we are going to get a chip within the next month. We were looking at adding a 2.5" lift this year, too, but since i am a noob I do not understand the meaning of a "true" lift. Yes the OEM tires blow and it is time to get some new ones after the winter snow clears by the end of April.

We love to do the passes around Silverton a lot and since it is only about an hour away we find ourselves there every 4th of July and multiple times through the summer. I will check out your link. I am sure it will give me some new territory to conquer this year.

Also, it is nice to see someone from the KC area: KS or MO side? My wife and I grew up in Lawrence. We are currently outside of Durango.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.