Has anyone installed a UConnect kit in their Liberty? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Has anyone installed a UConnect kit in their Liberty?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 01-13-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Has anyone installed a UConnect kit in their Liberty?

Just bought a 2011 Liberty Sport and want to install the Uconnect kit in it. Has anyone bought it and installed it themselves? It looks easy enough to install but it also says it can only be activated by the dealer. Is this true, if so what did they charge you to activate it?

Unread 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
coltsbr
2008 KK Liberty 

I have a 2008 that I looked into doing this to. It is true that the dealer has to flash the kit once you install it. It's pretty easy to do. I decided to just swap out the radio for one that had Uconnect in it. After purchasing the kit and paying around $150 for the dealer to make it work it was cheaper to buy a new radio online that was all set up to go and just sell the old radio that I took out. There are radios out there that you can just plug and play to get the Uconnect. I bought a MyGIG myself. Factory radio all ready to go with no flashing or set up costs. I also wanted my son to be able to watch DVD's while traveling which is why I went with the radio I did.
coltsbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
drichard989
2008 KK Liberty 

bought a new Mygig RER thats coming in tommorow off ebay for $200. Ill report on installation tommorow
drichard989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard989 View Post
bought a new Mygig RER thats coming in tommorow off ebay for $200. Ill report on installation tommorow
Cool, thanks. Mine has the Uconnect 1300 radio in it. I can install the Uconnect kit myself, I just would like to avoid the one hour labor rate charge the dealer gets to flash it if possible. I think it's a lot to pay for ten minutes worth of work.
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
drichard989
2008 KK Liberty 

Got the radio yesterday however I couldnt install it. The seller listed it as a high speed unit when it turned out to be a low speed one. The Jeep Liberty and Wrangler require the High Speed Bus radio.
drichard989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
staubitzk
2011 KK Liberty 

I bought a Mygig and Uconnect for my Lib as well. The mygig is plug and play however you will need to bring it to your dealer. I asked my dealer why I needed to bring it in since everything else is plug and play and he said that he needs to update the database for my vin with chrysler that I have new equipment installed and have that data flashed into the car. He was originially going to charge me $110 dollars but I got him down to $60.
Unread 01-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
coltsbr
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by staubitzk View Post
I bought a Mygig and Uconnect for my Lib as well. The mygig is plug and play however you will need to bring it to your dealer. I asked my dealer why I needed to bring it in since everything else is plug and play and he said that he needs to update the database for my vin with chrysler that I have new equipment installed and have that data flashed into the car. He was originially going to charge me $110 dollars but I got him down to $60.
I wonder why you had to have the info updated. Sounds like you did the same thing I did and it works perfect and I never went to the dealer or had anything updated. I can't see any reason why Chrysler would have to update the VIN to the radio. Just another way for that dealer to get money for something that was not needed.
coltsbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.