Grinding sound from ESP? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Grinding sound from ESP?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-25-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Grinding sound from ESP?

Last month, I was having a ton of fun drifting around in the snow and since ESP can't be completely deactivated, I was stuck with it constantly interfering with my trying to drift in the snow and in doing so, there was a loud grinding noise coming from the bottom of the vehicle whenever it would activate. Then, I thought the noise had something to do with it activating in the snow and maybe something to do with it activating while 4WD was active.

However, today, I took a corner a quick on the road, was prepared to fishtail very slightly, and ESP activated and made the same grinding noise as it did before. This time I wasn't on snow, I was on pavement, and 4WD was not active so I'm trying to figure out why this grinding noise is present when ESP activates.

Anyone know? Does this happen on your KK as well?

I know on my BMW, when I take a corner and DTC (digital traction control -- the equivalent of ESP for Jeeps) activates, it works its magic silently. If the rear wheels are spinning and not getting traction and DTC is active, DTC will just restrict the throttle control and the only way you know is because when you press the gas for more power, you get none. Or it brakes whatever wheels it needs to brake, but there is no noise whatsoever.

So, what's the story with this grinding? What's going on and is it normal? If so, why?

Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 • WeatherTech Floor Liners • Mopar Cargo Tray
LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
ruralroute01
2006 KJ Liberty 

Each time my ESP system kicks on it makes the noise. I was told it was normal. My Liberty is at 107,xxx and receives pretty hard use on a daily basis with my job. The noise has been there from the beginning and still comes on when the wheels slip. I hope that helps. But it never hurts to ask and have things checked out for piece of mind, especially while you are still under warranty. It will then be documented in case something would happen with it in the future.
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

I don't have ESP in my Jeep and am glad.

I have driven my GF's Chev with ESP and you can feel it but it you can't hear it. You can also shut it off in her car if you want as it has an on-off control button. There are some situations where you do not want it.

So as was said, you could ask the dealer next time you are there.

I am extremely surprised that you don't have an on and off control for the ESP especially on a Jeep where you DEFINATELY DON'T WANT ESP in 4LO 4x4 OPERATION when you are off-road on a trail.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Wrangler98
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
I am extremely surprised that you don't have an on and off control for the ESP especially on a Jeep where you DEFINATELY DON'T WANT ESP in 4LO 4x4 OPERATION when you are off-road on a trail.
I dont know about the newer ones, but our 06 automatically de-activates the ESP when you engage 4LO. It also has the switch for manual de-activation.
1967 Ford Mustang-351W/4spd
Wrangler98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
I don't have ESP in my Jeep and am glad.

I have driven my GF's Chev with ESP and you can feel it but it you can't hear it. You can also shut it off in her car if you want as it has an on-off control button. There are some situations where you do not want it.

So as was said, you could ask the dealer next time you are there.

It has an ESP button but when pushed, it only lessens the effect of ESP. Apparently, you can't shut it off completely without pulling a fuse. I'm sure it deactivates entirely though when in 4WD LOW. I was in 4WD HIGH when ESP was interfering in the snow and 2WD AUTO when it was interfering on the pavement. It's likely that it only completely disengages automatically in 4WD LOW.

I'm just trying to figure out what this doggoned noise is.
Unread 01-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
ErikRP
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyHopeful View Post
It has an ESP button but when pushed, it only lessens the effect of ESP. Apparently, you can't shut it off completely without pulling a fuse. I'm sure it deactivates entirely though when in 4WD LOW. I was in 4WD HIGH when ESP was interfering in the snow and 2WD AUTO when it was interfering on the pavement. It's likely that it only completely disengages automatically in 4WD LOW.

What it is, I can't say, but I'd go with "it's normal". Our '08 KK makes the same noise sometimes. Like you said, if you go around a corner and get out of line and try to pull it back in I hear it. Now, just a thought, could this be (also?) the Traction Control System? I'm not completely sure how TCS and ESP are related, but at least on the '08s they are closely related, and whenever I hear the noise I will also see the ESP/TCS light.

Keep in mind a Liberty is very different from a BMW. I know you're not suggesting otherwise, but to compare how one's traction control/stability system works compared to the other's is like comparing, well, any other feature between the two: gas mileage, cargo capacity, off-road capability, handling, etc.
Unread 01-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
BrendonR

Quote:
I've got an 08 Liberty Limited, and here's how I understand it.

the Liberty's TRACTION CONTROL works by applying the brakes on the slipping wheels (whether in 4wd/2wd on pavement or snow). This "grinding" sound is just your ABS and brakes firing on those slipping wheels.

try going out on some snow, take off nice and easy - then JAM on your brakes to stop. The ABS sound you hear while you're stopping should be the same (although, I believe a little quieter) as when the TCM is going off when you're trying to get up and go.

BrendonR

Current Mods: None

Currently accepting donations to remedy above.
BrendonR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post
I've got an 08 Liberty Limited, and here's how I understand it.

the Liberty's TRACTION CONTROL works by applying the brakes on the slipping wheels (whether in 4wd/2wd on pavement or snow). This "grinding" sound is just your ABS and brakes firing on those slipping wheels.

try going out on some snow, take off nice and easy - then JAM on your brakes to stop. The ABS sound you hear while you're stopping should be the same (although, I believe a little quieter) as when the TCM is going off when you're trying to get up and go.

BrendonR
It's not just the brakes activating. There's no way. Even ABS doesn't sound like that. They are two distinct noises. I realize a Jeep isn't a BMW, but most vehicles behave the way a BMW does when a traction control system activates: there is no noise.
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
BrendonR

From JEEP.COM:

During extreme steering maneuvers the Electronic Stability Program[1] (ESP) system helps maintain control by sensing when the vehicle is starting to over- or understeer.

ESP automatically applies individual brakes or controls the throttle to help you stay safely on course. When you don’t want the extra hand, ESP is specially tuned for performance handling so you can switch it off.

Not all roads are paved or smooth. Liberty's four-wheel Antilock Brake System (ABS) has a unique rough road detection system that has a special program to assist Liberty's stopping performance on gravel or dirt roads.

Drive with confidence. Liberty's all-speed traction control system uses sensors to monitor wheel spin, reducing engine speed, applying the brakes to spinning wheels, and transferring torque to the appropriate wheel when slippage is detected.

In a panic brake condition, Liberty's brake assist system applies maximum braking power, providing the shortest possible stopping distance.

Anticipating the need for additional traction, either of Liberty's four-wheel drive systems automatically responds to wheel slippage by transferring power equally to both the front and rear wheels, improving vehicle stability.

Sounds like the ABS/Brake to me. If you're that concerned about it though, go to the dealer, and insist a manager to ride along with you while you trigger this noise.

Current Mods: None

Currently accepting donations to remedy above.
BrendonR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
wildroot
2006 KJ Liberty 

I have the same deal and I notice it on dry roads too. Mainly when hitting bumps. Switching the esp off seems to only turn off traction control. I only did some drifting, I gave up once I realized what was happening.

Last edited by wildroot; 01-30-2009 at 04:18 AM..
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #11
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendonR View Post
From JEEP.COM:

During extreme steering maneuvers the Electronic Stability Program[1] (ESP) system helps maintain control by sensing when the vehicle is starting to over- or understeer.

ESP automatically applies individual brakes or controls the throttle to help you stay safely on course. When you don’t want the extra hand, ESP is specially tuned for performance handling so you can switch it off.

Not all roads are paved or smooth. Liberty's four-wheel Antilock Brake System (ABS) has a unique rough road detection system that has a special program to assist Liberty's stopping performance on gravel or dirt roads.

Drive with confidence. Liberty's all-speed traction control system uses sensors to monitor wheel spin, reducing engine speed, applying the brakes to spinning wheels, and transferring torque to the appropriate wheel when slippage is detected.

In a panic brake condition, Liberty's brake assist system applies maximum braking power, providing the shortest possible stopping distance.

Anticipating the need for additional traction, either of Liberty's four-wheel drive systems automatically responds to wheel slippage by transferring power equally to both the front and rear wheels, improving vehicle stability.

Sounds like the ABS/Brake to me. If you're that concerned about it though, go to the dealer, and insist a manager to ride along with you while you trigger this noise.
No way. I've activated ABS on my Jeep under normal conditions. It doesn't sound like it's eating a hippo.
Unread 02-07-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
Jeepman56
2007 KJ Liberty 

Same thing here on my '07 KJ Sport. URR URR URR URR! I hate ESP!
-On the way: Front Hooks, Skids, Rock Rails.
Jeepman56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #13
CmdrK
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
No way. I've activated ABS on my Jeep under normal conditions. It doesn't sound like it's eating a hippo.

What exactly would that sound like?

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #145
LIBERTY LOVIN CLUB MEMBER #4
CmdrK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
JoBo

Quote:
It's not just the brakes activating. There's no way. Even ABS doesn't sound like that. They are two distinct noises. I realize a Jeep isn't a BMW, but most vehicles behave the way a BMW does when a traction control system activates: there is no noise.
It's the ABS pump right by your feet that is making all the racket Every car I've owned or driven with ABS has made that noise be it Ford, Chevy, VW or jeep Sometimes you can feel the brake peddle pulsate too
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
SpawnJL
2006 KJ Liberty 

I just bought a 2006 Liberty Limited (Automatic), I experience the same grinding noise when accelerating on slippery terrain. The ESP/TCS light blinks at the same time. The noise definitely seems to be coming from the front left.

It is my understanding that the ESP and TCS work in conjunction and even when you turn off the ESP the TCS is still active. The TCS is what applies the breaks to each individual wheel if slippage is detected.

Does this grinding noise indicate a problem with the TCS or is this normal?

Thanks.
SpawnJL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.