Going to Change my Differential fluids soon, What weight gear oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Going to Change my Differential fluids soon, What weight gear oil?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 03-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
bigx5murf

Going to Change my Differential fluids soon, What weight gear oil?

I no longer have my manual, so I'm going to have to rely on this...

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Jeep_Li..._%26_Intervals

For front and rear differential, I see it lists 75w90 for street use, and 75w140 for towing or off roading. I'm assuming the need for the higher weight oil is the increased heat generated from towing/off roading.

That being said, I don't plan on off roading more than once or twice a month (desert shooting areas). But I'm still leaning towards the higher weight, because my summers could include 2 months of 110F-120F. I assume I'm going to lose a bit of mpgs with the higher weight oil.

If the wiki's blatantly wrong on weights, please let me know. If anyone thinks going with the higher weight lube is the wrong choice, please let me know why.

I also plan on changing coolant soon, the stuff in there I'm assuming is the factory fill, it's a red/orange color. Does that mean it's GM Dexcool? If so, I'm assuming I'll have to flush it with distilled multiple times till it drain clear before I can fill it with green coolant? Also, in my other car I go 30/70 on coolant/water, for better cooling in these hellish summers. Is there any reason I shouldn't do so on my KK liberty?

bigx5murf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

In your neck of the woods I'd run 85w-140 in the rear and regular 80w-90 in the front.You won't loose enough to worry about in the heat of NV.

Skip the synthetic gear oil,your diffs will last longer.
Unread 03-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
cougargnw
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
In your neck of the woods I'd run 85w-140 in the rear and regular 80w-90 in the front.You won't loose enough to worry about in the heat of NV.

Im curious why you say to skip the synthetic oils for the diffs
cougargnw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #4
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

You should be able to download your owners manual on the Jeep website. http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/
Unread 03-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
bigx5murf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

What I'm worried about is that the rest of the year is actually quite temperate, like 50F-70F, its just during May-July, that it's hell on earth. So, does it make sense to lube up for the extreme heat?

I do like the idea of going with the higher weight just in the rear though. I may do that.

Also, why do you say not to go with synthetic lube? I get amsoil at near wholesale prices so, I was going to go with that.
Unread 03-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
AtTheHelm

With you're coolant don't use regular green antifreeze. You need to use the spec coolant, which is Mopar Hoat. There is a replacement for it, I beleive it is Zerex G05, but don't quote me on that.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigx5murf View Post
What I'm worried about is that the rest of the year is actually quite temperate, like 50F-70F, its just during May-July, that it's hell on earth. So, does it make sense to lube up for the extreme heat?

I do like the idea of going with the higher weight just in the rear though. I may do that.

Also, why do you say not to go with synthetic lube? I get amsoil at near wholesale prices so, I was going to go with that.
Regular old dino gear lube hangs on the gears longer and better than any of the synthetic stuff .
Save your money and protect your diffs
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Regular old dino gear lube hangs on the gears longer and better than any of the synthetic stuff .
Save your money and protect your diffs
X2...................

Oh and I run 85w-140 in both diffs year round and it get's much,much colder here in CO with zero issues.
Unread 03-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #9
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Aaaand don't forget the friction modifier...its required in limited slip diffs.
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2014, 01:13 AM   #10
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

We don't have factory limited slips. Open diffs front and rear on all KKs.
Unread 03-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #11
bigx5murf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer524 View Post
We don't have factory limited slips. Open diffs front and rear on all KKs.
Guess that explains the tire squeals during tight turns
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Thats the traction control kicking in
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #13
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Guess that explains the tire squeals during tight turns
If you're talking at full lock, that's the front tires. Turning radius is tight on the Libertys. Ever since I added the aggressive tires though I haven't had it.
Unread 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #14
bigx5murf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Thats the traction control kicking in
Definitely not, happens at parking lot speeds at full lock. Sounds like the tire squeals when parking, caused by those drift kids and their welded rear diffs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.