Getting close to 36k... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Getting close to 36k...

Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved d

Unread 07-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

Getting close to 36k...

Ok so Im at about 31k on my Liberty. Just before I hit the 36k mark I want to take it in to be checked out by the dealer. I bought it used so this is it, I will not have the lifetime power train.

So I want the differentials, transmission, transfer case, ball joints, etc checked out. Can you just say check all these and they will? Will they charge me for this? Or do I need to say I hear a weird noise, popping , grinding etc to make them have to check these out without charging me? What is the best way of getting the important stuff checked and fixed under warranty to ensure I have the best start when Im "on my own"?

rangerr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
2012JETLIMITED

Id call before you take it in, I've been screwed over by dealerships before.
2012JETLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
AtTheHelm

You're due to have the diffs and t case fluids changed anyway. Ask them if the tech can also do an inspection on everything else and have the inspection documented. The powertrain has a 100k/5 year warranty, everything else is 36k/3year.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

They want to charge $299 to change both difs and t case...I made a thread about this not long ago and figured I would do the change myself, but have not yet...

Also I didnt know there was a 5yr/100k powertrain on a used , I thought the 3yr/36k was all I had
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Talk specifics with the service guy and tell him exactly about wanting the drivetrain inspected in case there was abuse from the PO. If he doesn't want to elaborate on what the tech will do then find another shop as he's just a salesman. Also have him explain the difference between a trans service, and a flush. Since the don't seem to have replaceable filters these days, they tend to not drop the pan and look around/clean gunk out. Not all techs are enthusiasts and are just about quick turns, or upselling something that's not really needed.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
rangerr47
2012 KK Liberty 

I now see that the 5yr/100k mile powertrain does carry over, i had read the threads where the lifetime warranty that used to come with the older models does not carry over for used. Makes me feel a little bit better.
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

There are filters in the tranny from what I've been able to find. I spoke with the head Jeep mechanic at a dealership I used to do business with. He told me they got rid of their tranny flushing machine because it was causing problems and now they drop the pan, push out the old fluid, replace the filter and button it up.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Skipper6413
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerr47 View Post
They want to charge $299 to change both difs and t case...I made a thread about this not long ago and figured I would do the change myself, but have not yet...

Also I didnt know there was a 5yr/100k powertrain on a used , I thought the 3yr/36k was all I had
Holy smokes. ..now I remember why I do these e myself....
Skipper6413 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.