Gate warning. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Gate warning.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
TJ's02TJ
2012 KK Liberty 

Gate warning.

Have the message in my display that warns you when the gate is open. How can I get rid of it I have opened and closed the glass and gate about 100 time now

Gone but not forgotten. '02 TJ 4cyl. 2" Skyjacker Spacer Lift 31" General Grabber AT 2.
TJ's02TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Sorry to say, but you more than likely have a water leak from the rear window seal. Open the rear window and look for a gap at the seam by the latch. Also look for any dirt or spots on the plastic trim.
What happens is water gets past the window seal and runs down the inside of the hatch. It shorts out the sensor built into the hatch latch. Unfortunately the sensor is part of the latch mechanism and can only be replaced as a unit that will cost around $100.00. The replacement rear window seal is of a better design and is real easy to replace. Costs around $45.00. I did the window seal on mine and just unplugged the sensor part of the latch for now (small two pin connector). The only downside is the interior lights don't go on when the hatch is opened. I am waiting until spring and want to make sure there is absolutely no water leak before I spring for a whole new latch.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
lakehimself

Mine keeps doing it too, it is where water gets in through the crappy seal. After it dries out it will go off, in the mean time I took the fuse out for the dome lights. The bad thing about that is the steering wheel controls for the radio are on the same fuse as well as the horn, seat warmers, traction control switch, and the hazards. I took the whole back panel off last time to let it all dry out.
lakehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
TJ's02TJ
2012 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the responses. Mine is still under warranty so I'll let the dealership worry about it. How hard is the sensor to get to so I can unplug it in the mean time.

Gone but not forgotten. '02 TJ 4cyl. 2" Skyjacker Spacer Lift 31" General Grabber AT 2.
Unread 02-17-2014, 04:25 AM   #5
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Read through this thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/...nding-1378322/

Pretty easy to pull the trim off, remove the latch, and unplug the sensor part.
Unread 02-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #6
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakehimself View Post
Mine keeps doing it too, it is where water gets in through the crappy seal. After it dries out it will go off, in the mean time I took the fuse out for the dome lights. The bad thing about that is the steering wheel controls for the radio are on the same fuse as well as the horn, seat warmers, traction control switch, and the hazards. I took the whole back panel off last time to let it all dry out.
You were lucky. Mine shorted out so bad that it died totally.

For others that have this happen. Don't bother with the fuse since you will loose other functions. Just unplug it.
Unread 02-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
TJ's02TJ
2012 KK Liberty 

Well came out this morning to go to work and the warning is gone. So far it has stayed off all day. We will see what happens.

Unread 02-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

Best to check for the water leaks though, just because it went away this time, you may not be that lucky the next time. If you are still under the original bumper to bumper warranty, get the glass weather strip replaced under warranty. If not, it is only about $45.00 and takes all of 15 minutes to replace on your own.

*** Update ****

Messing with my Jeep yesterday I decided to pull off the hatch trim and confirm that there are no longer any leaks. I decided to try and see what would happen if I plugged in the sensor. Wow, it worked. So, after a month or so of sitting, I now don't need to buy the latch.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.