GATE light on and alarm sounding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > GATE light on and alarm sounding

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
RichREV
2011 KK Liberty 

GATE light on and alarm sounding

I have to lock the jeep this morning without the alarm, the gate light indicator wont go out. Where is the sensor could it just be dirty [sand] or something. any ideas? I am going to to take some brake cleaner and air to it and see what happens.

RichREV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
otlip

Reset computer

Try disconnecting the neg terminal from the battery and wait 5 minutes. It will reset the computer, worth a try and it cost nothing.

Good luck and let the board know if it works
otlip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
luvmylib

Quote:
Originally Posted by otlip View Post
Try disconnecting the neg terminal from the battery and wait 5 minutes. It will reset the computer, worth a try and it cost nothing.

Good luck and let the board know if it works

NUMBER: 08-022-07

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: September 15, 2007

SUBJECT:
Intermittent Illumination Of The Courtesy Lamps And Liftgate Ajar Indicator With Chime Tone

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves switching the wires in the liftgate ajar switch connector.

MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (KA) Nitro

2008 (KK) Liberty

2008 (KK) Cherokee (International)

2007 - 2008 (WK) Grand Cherokee

2007 - 2008 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)

2006 - 2008 (XK) Commander

2006 - 2008 (XH) Commander (International markets)

2006-2007 (HB) Durango

2007 (HG) Aspen

2008 (RT) Caravan/Town & Country
NOTE :This bulletin applies to all KA/KK vehicles built before August 18, 2007 (MDH 0818XX) and WK/WH vehicles built before September 11, 2007 (MDH 0911XX),

NOTE :This bulletin applies to XK/XH vehicles built before September 11, 2007 (MDH 0911XX) and RT vehicles built before October 22, 2007 (MDH 1022XX) built without sales code JRC (powerlift gate).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Customers may observe illumination of the courtesy lamps, a chime tone and the liftgate ajar indicator message illumination when the liftgate is not open. This is caused by intermittent contact of the liftgate open sensing wire closing the circuit to ground. Swapping the wires will make the intermittent contact with the body on the ground side wire eliminating the false illumination and indicator messages.

DIAGNOSIS:

If the above condition is present, perform the Repair Procedure.
luvmylib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
luvmylib

From my manual:

LIFTGATE

A liftgate ajar switch is standard equipment on this vehicle. The switch is concealed within and integral to the liftgate latch unit. The switch is a momentary leaf contact-type unit that is actuated by the liftgate latch mechanism. An integral connector receptacle on the liftgate latch connects the liftgate ajar switch to the vehicle electrical system through the liftgate wire harness.

The liftgate ajar switch cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if ineffective or damaged, the liftgate latch unit must be replaced.

4.Remove the three bolts (4) from the lift gate latch (3).
5.Disconnect the electrical connectors (5).
6.Disconnect the cable (2) from the latch (3).
7.Remove the lift gate latch (3) from the lift gate (1).
131311478.jpg  
luvmylib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Jeep08Lib_Ltd
2008 KK Liberty 

Lift gate light and alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmylib View Post
From my manual:

LIFTGATE

A liftgate ajar switch is standard equipment on this vehicle. The switch is concealed within and integral to the liftgate latch unit. The switch is a momentary leaf contact-type unit that is actuated by the liftgate latch mechanism. An integral connector receptacle on the liftgate latch connects the liftgate ajar switch to the vehicle electrical system through the liftgate wire harness.

The liftgate ajar switch cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if ineffective or damaged, the liftgate latch unit must be replaced.

4.Remove the three bolts (4) from the lift gate latch (3).
5.Disconnect the electrical connectors (5).
6.Disconnect the cable (2) from the latch (3).
7.Remove the lift gate latch (3) from the lift gate (1).
Thank you for this information. I think I can replace this myself - however, do you have instructions for how to remove the interior liftgate panel to access this liftgate latch unit? Appreciate your post very much!
Jeep08Lib_Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Liberty09MN
2009 KK Liberty 

I had a problem with my lift gate last year, was due to water damage affecting the sensor. My light would stay on and my jeep would think a door was open or whatever. Was kind of expensive to fix so I just had them disconnect it.
Liberty09MN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty09MN
I had a problem with my lift gate last year, was due to water damage affecting the sensor. My light would stay on and my jeep would think a door was open or whatever. Was kind of expensive to fix so I just had them disconnect it.
I had the same issue, 4 times. The flipper glass was leaking allowing water to get into the switch assy. There is a TSB for this that includes changing the flipper glass seal and adding a strip of door seal material across the top of the glass. It's fixed now and the new glass seal is a good bit thicker.
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Liberty09MN
2009 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted15 View Post
I had the same issue, 4 times. The flipper glass was leaking allowing water to get into the switch assy. There is a TSB for this that includes changing the flipper glass seal and adding a strip of door seal material across the top of the glass. It's fixed now and the new glass seal is a good bit thicker.
Yeah, the seal was my issue too. My sub would rattle it loose and I would have to jam it back up there everyday... But the days I didn't and it rained, a good amount of water could get in. The stripping would be filled with water. Put some strong double sided tape around the lip and it stays fine now.
Liberty09MN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
JeepCares

I think this is the service bulletin Ted15 was talking about.

NUMBER: 23-013-10
GROUP: Body
DATE: August 20, 2010
SUBJECT:
Rear Flipper Glass Waterleak
OVERVIEW:
This involves inspecting the rear flipper glass for water leaks and if necessary installing a
seal.
MODELS:
2010 (KK) Liberty
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before June 01, 2010 (MDH0601XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience water running down the center inside of the rear flipper
glass and/or damp cargo floor. Inspect for signs of water streaks on the inside of the glass.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Inspect the cargo floor for damp carpet. Was the carpet damp?
a. Yes >>> Proceed to the repair procedure.
b. No >>> Proceed to Step #2
2. Perform a water flow test on the flipper glass. Was water leaking into the cargo area?
b. No >>> Continue further diagnosis this bulletin does not apply.
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares
I think this is the service bulletin Ted15 was talking about.

NUMBER: 23-013-10
GROUP: Body
DATE: August 20, 2010
SUBJECT:
Rear Flipper Glass Waterleak
OVERVIEW:
This involves inspecting the rear flipper glass for water leaks and if necessary installing a
seal.
MODELS:
2010 (KK) Liberty
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built before June 01, 2010 (MDH0601XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience water running down the center inside of the rear flipper
glass and/or damp cargo floor. Inspect for signs of water streaks on the inside of the glass.
DIAGNOSIS:
1. Inspect the cargo floor for damp carpet. Was the carpet damp?
b. No >>> Proceed to Step #2
2. Perform a water flow test on the flipper glass. Was water leaking into the cargo area?
b. No >>> Continue further diagnosis this bulletin does not apply.
That's it. Even though you taped up the weather strip, water can still get through the seal because it isn't tight. That's why it would vibrate down. It would've done that without the vibration, mine did.
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep08Lib_Ltd View Post
Thank you for this information. I think I can replace this myself - however, do you have instructions for how to remove the interior liftgate panel to access this liftgate latch unit? Appreciate your post very much!
Two screws at the lower face and start popping the thing loose

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #12
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

I understand that you may not want someone else to work on your jeep but the dealer will fix it for free if it's still under warranty. I don't think they'll warranty it after you fix it when it happens again. You're going to need both latch assemblies and the new style window seal.
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
Prospector1
2010 KK Liberty 

I have the same problem with my 2010 seems to be a common problem, I have seen it recurring on the web. I have a lift gate message that will not go out and my interior lights stay on. I am going to have to check the seal around the rear glass, I haven't noticed any water in the back, my 03 leaked like a sieve. I guess I am going to have to replace the whole latch mechanism.
Prospector1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

The water leaks around the flipper glass, there's a TSB for it. They replaced the gate seal, flipper glass seal, both latches and added a small weather strip to the top of my flipper glass. I don't know if TSB's are covered after 36 months but it'd be worth looking into.
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
josworth
2010 KK Liberty 

According to my dealer the TSB is not covered by any warranty. Just replaced the rear flipper glass seal in my 2010. It was letting water in around the latch for the glass. It killed the "gate ajar" sensor on my latch. You can unplug it. The alarm will go out but you will also loose the interior lights going on when you open the hatch. Not a big deal to me. I am waiting for spring to make sure the seal replacement gets all the water intrusion, then I will replace the latch.
josworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.