Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gas tank overflow everytime I fill up

20K views 45 replies 20 participants last post by  llm317 
#1 ·
The 08 Liberty I just bought my wife overflows with gas every time we fill up. Then the inside stinks from all the fumes. It doesn't matter which gas station we go to, it does it all the time. Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

#5 ·
I had this done on my 08 Liberty a few months ago too. Hopefully your dealership is better than mine was. It took me multiple trips back there to finally get it resolved. At first they replaced the filler neck, I believe. Which seemed to SLOW down the overflow, but it still did it. Finally they replaced the entire fuel tank under my extended warranty, which luckily has a zero deductible.

That has fixed the issue so far, and as I said it has been a few months now. Good luck!

#6 ·
I had the tank replaced on my '08 about 6 months ago for the same reason. When I was researching it, I found there were quite a few complaints out there for the same issue. Kudo's to the dealership, I was several thousand miles past 36K and several months past 3 years, and they went ahead and covered it with no cost to me. And so far, I haven't had the problem since (granted it took almost 2-3 yrs for me to start having the problem the first time).

#8 ·
Same problem here. I am the second owner of my 08 KK, so now warranty. I called my normal Jeep dealer (second Jeep) to talk over the problem and they told me I’m out of warranty with no other assistance beyond time and parts to repair. How can I get the dealership to pay for this repair as it seems like a manufacturer defect to me? For now I just guess how many gallons until full and click off the filler when close to full. No problems that way. But I can foresee a check engine light due to EVAP problem in my future unless it is fixed now.

#10 ·
Same problem here. I am the second owner of my 08 KK, so now warranty. I called my normal Jeep dealer (second Jeep) to talk over the problem and they told me I'm out of warranty with no other assistance beyond time and parts to repair. How can I get the dealership to pay for this repair as it seems like a manufacturer defect to me? For now I just guess how many gallons until full and click off the filler when close to full. No problems that way. But I can foresee a check engine light due to EVAP problem in my future unless it is fixed now.
The main cause of this issue is the gas you put in,it's the ethanol that is the cause so not a manufacturer defect.It's not a Jeep thing either as all vehicle suffer the same issue all due to ethanol.

#13 ·
tbenson said:
My 2008 JK did this, my 2011 KK does not, same filling stations used, are you sure?
According to the TSB, seems to have been an issue with 2005 to 2009 Libby's. I too have a 2011 and have not (knock on wood) had any issues like this either. Lets hope they worked out the kinks from 2010 on!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#17 ·
I thought I read something in there that said Chrysler was blaming the ethanol in gasoline. Not picking sides but I did read that.

#18 ·
First of all read the article I put up,and second I had the tank replaced on my 08 KK,and NEVER used anything more then the 10% ethanol,so like others on here Chrysler was feeding the Govt.BS,and in the end Chrysler admitted what the problem was with this statement"The automaker alleged that the supplier, Inergy Automotive Systems, had not centered the valve when it was welded to the fuel tank, causing the valve to be distorted by exposure to excessive heat".

#20 ·
My sisters 2012 kk on first fill did the same thing tryen to top off. Since, she stops when pump first stops. I have only put gass in once and stop the same as her, per her problem. She can't fit .10 cents after that.

#22 ·
richd said:
Your so FULL OF IT!How many people have too tell your you feeding us BS?I researched Ford & GM,and they dont have one TSB for fuel tank problem like Chrysler has.Plus if you say its true,then why hasnt your 02 Liberty have fueling problem?Chrysler themselves admitted they screwed up.Troy the TROLL is at it again,refuse too say HE'S WRONG,poor soul!
Really man? In my book he's got good credibility. Can't see why you have it out for the guy so bad..

#33 ·
tjkj2002-How many TIMES do I have TOO tell you ,YOUR WRONG,and your feeding the same BS on the KJ board on fuel tanks,still blaming it on gas,when EVEN CHRYLSER admits ITS a BAD weld on the VALVE?How long is this forum going to let you continue a LIE on this and other issues.STOP FEEDING BS on these Forum is what the forum should be saying.They can clearly read the report,and TSB and know its NOT the gas that causes these problem.You are no doubt what I would call a RIFF-RAFF mechanic!

#34 ·
tjkj2002-I know your not the sharpest tool in the shed,but do you understand these statements?

These Jeeps suffer from a defective Inlet Check Valve, incorporated into the fuel tank at the top where the fuel enters from the fuel filler tube neck during the refueling process. The ICV is designed to close when the fuel level in the tank reaches a near full level to prevent the air pressure created in the top of the fuel tank during refueling from pushing the fuel that is still in the filler neck back out of the filler tube. If the check valve fails fuel can spill or "spit back" onto the ground or the person refueling the vehicle.

Similarly, in February 2005, Chrysler recalled 2005 Dodge Durangos manufactured from March 2004 to November 2004 for the fuel tank filler tube inlet check valve. Again, the recall noted that the valve may not fully close at the end of refueling which could allow some fuel to escape from the vehicle filler neck. According to Chrysler, this was a manufacturing problem. The automaker alleged that the supplier, Inergy Automotive Systems, had not centered the valve when it was welded to the fuel tank, causing the valve to be distorted by exposure to excessive heat.

#36 ·
tjkj2002-I know your not the sharpest tool in the shed,but do you under stand these statements?

These Jeeps suffer from a defective Inlet Check Valve, incorporated into the fuel tank at the top where the fuel enters from the fuel filler tube neck during the refueling process. The ICV is designed to close when the fuel level in the tank reaches a near full level to prevent the air pressure created in the top of the fuel tank during refueling from pushing the fuel that is still in the filler neck back out of the filler tube. If the check valve fails fuel can spill or "spit back" onto the ground or the person refueling the vehicle.

Similarly, in February 2005, Chrysler recalled 2005 Dodge Durangos manufactured from March 2004 to November 2004 for the fuel tank filler tube inlet check valve. Again, the recall noted that the valve may not fully close at the end of refueling which could allow some fuel to escape from the vehicle filler neck. According to Chrysler, this was a manufacturing problem. The automaker alleged that the supplier, Inergy Automotive Systems, had not centered the valve when it was welded to the fuel tank, causing the valve to be distorted by exposure to excessive heat.
Sorry I don't run to google for my answers.

If you actually read that article you found you will note that they did find a manufacturing issue on some from a supplier that was limited to a few vehicles.The rest have no such flaw and many,like other vehicles,suffer the same problem in some vehicles even after the tank is replaced.

You also can not take "it's a common problem" as anything more then face value on forums like these as it is only showing less then 0.1% of all vehicles made of the same make and model.What seems like a common problem on here is from maybe what 20-30 vehicles when the total production of the KJ and KK is well over 1.2 million.Also what you experiance will be far different then what others.Stop using google and get back into a shop and work for a few years and you will see what is a common problem and what is not.

Oh and I answered it you just couldn't read,like always.

#38 ·
richd said:
There is NO HOPE for YOU,PLEASE see a PHSYCHIATRIST!!
Psychiatrist is the preferred spelling. ;)

What is your reason for going off on him like this? It seems the article you linked to confirms what he is saying (excessive ethanol) as well as what you're saying (manufacturer defect) as far as the fuel spray issue. I don't think there is a need to attack him as you're doing. Thus far the information he has posted has been solid and helpful.

#39 ·
First of all read the WHOLE report,not just a sentance!Second that was the BS Chrysler gave too the EPA,same BS that TROLLTroy is saying,if you READ the whole report,you will see that Chrysler finally ADMITTED it was a defect in how the valve was installed in the fuel tank.It has NOTHING to do with gas,dont FALL for his BS about gas,ITS NOT true!Troy love too HARASS me, and the MODS let him,they are buddies,so I will NOT let him tell BS when I know its BS.Just too let you know he came after me,I didnt go after him.There are 3 people on this thread who basically said it wasnt gas,yet said nothing to them.I proved my case of HARASSMENT against Troy!So dont feel sorry for him.He has some issues!

#40 ·
Gents,

Let's keep the forum respective and refrain from any personal attacks on anyone. We all are to help one another out.

Thanks

I am also experiencing gas overflow in my Lib and not certain if its from the idiot overfilling my tank or the tank itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.