Gas tank overflow everytime I fill up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Gas tank overflow everytime I fill up

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
vansboarderx
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Gas tank overflow everytime I fill up

The 08 Liberty I just bought my wife overflows with gas every time we fill up. Then the inside stinks from all the fumes. It doesn't matter which gas station we go to, it does it all the time. Does anyone else have this problem or know a solution?

vansboarderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
otlip

This has been discussed several times. I had the same problem and the tank and interior valve was replaced by the dealership at no cost to me. A know problem!
otlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Deichler
2008 KK Liberty 

I had my tank replaced this past Friday for this. Filled up, and when the nozzle clicked, no overfill!! I have the Lifetime "bumper to bumper" warranty on my 08, cost me $4000, and the tank cost me only $100 deductable.
Deichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
vansboarderx
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. I'll call the dealership and tell them. I have the warranty also so I'm good. If anyone else knows anything let me know.
vansboarderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
maitiu

I had this done on my 08 Liberty a few months ago too. Hopefully your dealership is better than mine was. It took me multiple trips back there to finally get it resolved. At first they replaced the filler neck, I believe. Which seemed to SLOW down the overflow, but it still did it. Finally they replaced the entire fuel tank under my extended warranty, which luckily has a zero deductible.

That has fixed the issue so far, and as I said it has been a few months now. Good luck!
maitiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
griff02
2008 KK Liberty 

I had the tank replaced on my '08 about 6 months ago for the same reason. When I was researching it, I found there were quite a few complaints out there for the same issue. Kudo's to the dealership, I was several thousand miles past 36K and several months past 3 years, and they went ahead and covered it with no cost to me. And so far, I haven't had the problem since (granted it took almost 2-3 yrs for me to start having the problem the first time).
griff02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
27tubguy
2008 KK Liberty 

ive got it too.

got it on mine as well, thought it was my fault for overfilling it. But I didnt do anything different than Ive done everytime Ive filled any of my vehicles. Looks like its time to hit the dealership.
Unread 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
priebe
2008 KK Liberty 

Same problem here. I am the second owner of my 08 KK, so now warranty. I called my normal Jeep dealer (second Jeep) to talk over the problem and they told me Iím out of warranty with no other assistance beyond time and parts to repair. How can I get the dealership to pay for this repair as it seems like a manufacturer defect to me? For now I just guess how many gallons until full and click off the filler when close to full. No problems that way. But I can foresee a check engine light due to EVAP problem in my future unless it is fixed now.
priebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

This is a well known problem.I had my tank replaced under warranty a few yrs. ago,and had no problem since.There is a TSB for this problem,so if your out of warranty,I would explain to the dealer that this is a well known problem and see if they can do a Goodwill warranty,Here is the TSB:
https://sites.google.com/site/graved...attredirects=0
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by priebe View Post
Same problem here. I am the second owner of my 08 KK, so now warranty. I called my normal Jeep dealer (second Jeep) to talk over the problem and they told me Iím out of warranty with no other assistance beyond time and parts to repair. How can I get the dealership to pay for this repair as it seems like a manufacturer defect to me? For now I just guess how many gallons until full and click off the filler when close to full. No problems that way. But I can foresee a check engine light due to EVAP problem in my future unless it is fixed now.
The main cause of this issue is the gas you put in,it's the ethanol that is the cause so not a manufacturer defect.It's not a Jeep thing either as all vehicle suffer the same issue all due to ethanol.
Unread 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
tbenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The main cause of this issue is the gas you put in,it's the ethanol that is the cause so not a manufacturer defect.It's not a Jeep thing either as all vehicle suffer the same issue all due to ethanol.
My 2008 JK did this, my 2011 KK does not, same filling stations used, are you sure?
tbenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
otlip

The problem is inherent to 08 Jeeps. It is not the ethanol. The 10% ethanol is the same all year long. My tank was replaced as I have an extended warranty.
otlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbenson

My 2008 JK did this, my 2011 KK does not, same filling stations used, are you sure?
According to the TSB, seems to have been an issue with 2005 to 2009 Libby's. I too have a 2011 and have not (knock on wood) had any issues like this either. Lets hope they worked out the kinks from 2010 on!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Here is the WHOLE story about Chrysler fuel tank problem.The failed part is the Inlet Check Valve,Nothing to do with gas we use!
http://www.safetyresearch.net/2011/0...sler-vehicles/
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
Here is the WHOLE story about Chrysler fuel tank problem.The failed part is the Inlet Check Valve,Nothing to do with gas we use!
http://www.safetyresearch.net/2011/0...sler-vehicles/
To bad it plagues every vehicle maker.Same issue,ethanol swells the safety mandated rollover valve.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.