Fuse problem in my 2008 KK....NOT! A RODENT! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Fuse problem in my 2008 KK....NOT! A RODENT!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Huntyeraws

Fuse problem in my 2008 KK....NOT! A RODENT!

I had an issue with my Liberty yesterday, the key fob didn't work and when I started the vehicle, I noticed that the radio said 12:00 and the A/C and vent controls didn't work or light up. I then saw a message on the display saying - "no fuse"

I checked the fuse box - everything looked ok. I drove it and came back but it was still bugging me. The vehicle is still under warranty so I figure that it might be an electrical bug. But I checked once again, this time, I thought "out of the box" - literally and noticed a half dried up bagel along side the inside fender well and the fuse box. When I pulled this out I noticed a bunch of wires on two different wiringin harnesses had been chewed on or chewed completely through! SOB - not a warranty issue! I got a rodent! I think it is a chipmunk!

I am sure an new wirining harness isn't cheap and the labor to snake it all through is going to be fun too. At least my comprehensive damage on my auto insurance has a $50 deductable. Just a pain in the you know what.

Some times, things are not what they seem to be...

Huntyeraws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntyeraws View Post
I had an issue with my Liberty yesterday, the key fob didn't work and when I started the vehicle, I noticed that the radio said 12:00 and the A/C and vent controls didn't work or light up. I then saw a message on the display saying - "no fuse"

I checked the fuse box - everything looked ok. I drove it and came back but it was still bugging me. The vehicle is still under warranty so I figure that it might be an electrical bug. But I checked once again, this time, I thought "out of the box" - literally and noticed a half dried up bagel along side the inside fender well and the fuse box. When I pulled this out I noticed a bunch of wires on two different wiringin harnesses had been chewed on or chewed completely through! SOB - not a warranty issue! I got a rodent! I think it is a chipmunk!

I am sure an new wirining harness isn't cheap and the labor to snake it all through is going to be fun too. At least my comprehensive damage on my auto insurance has a $50 deductable. Just a pain in the you know what.

Some times, things are not what they seem to be...
I don't know how that would be possible unless something chewed through your entire wheel liner. There are no wires exposed -- they are all safely behind the wheel liner.

Can you share a picture with us so we can get a better idea of what you're talking about?
Pirelli Scorpion ATR 235/65R17 WeatherTech Floor Liners Mopar Cargo Tray
LibertyHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Huntyeraws

As I mentioned, the first time I was looking, I was looking over the fender wall and there was a white piece of material, at first, I thought it was foam covering these wiring in this area...it turned out to be a 1/2 a bagel. With the bagel removed, one can clearly see a bunch of chewed and damaged wiring on two different harnesess!
dsc_0036.jpg  
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

let your insurance company pay for the replacement harness
VMF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
Huntyeraws

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMF View Post
let your insurance company pay for the replacement harness
Ya think I have a $50 deductable on comp!

I can just imagine the cost for the harness and the labor due to this rodent!

This is war!

Unread 07-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i just replaced engine harness on my civic with swapped rsx-s engine, OEM acura harness was 270 and it took me 2 hours to replace. if your deductible is really 50$ then let the dealer deal wth it
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:27 AM   #7
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
i just replaced engine harness on my civic with swapped rsx-s engine, OEM acura harness was 270 and it took me 2 hours to replace. if your deductible is really 50$ then let the dealer deal wth it
Wait. You didn't just say you replaced the engine harness in 2 hours, did you? You're either captain Goodwrench or that's a load of B.S. To replace the engine harness, you have to completely remove the engine, don't you?
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

nah of course not! why would you need that? all engine harness is is a bunch of wires and plugs

some of the sensors are in the hard to reach places but with the car jacked it should be no problem to replace. i havent traced the harness on the liberty but im pretty confident it would not require an engine removal
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
nah of course not! why would you need that? all engine harness is is a bunch of wires and plugs

some of the sensors are in the hard to reach places but with the car jacked it should be no problem to replace. i havent traced the harness on the liberty but im pretty confident it would not require an engine removal
Sorry, engine harness is something different for other vehicles I know.

All those wires really necessary to run the engine? 30 years ago engines didn't have all those wires! They just went KABOOM and made car go.
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

well we are talking about wire harness here, and thats exactly what it is, just a bunch of wires 30 years ago engines didnt use a coil per cylinder nor did they use injectors. the rest of the sensors are required to make sure that you ignition timing sensors like knock sensor, MAF sensor, o2 sensors etc etc would send all the data to your ecu and then ecu would get the optimal data from its tables to run your engine in the most optimal way. thats a simplified way ot putting it
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i have the same jeep as urs btw, minus the pirellis and skid plates
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
LibertyHopeful
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
i have the same jeep as urs btw, minus the pirellis and skid plates
Where'd you get the bull bar? Looks nice. How much? Easy to install?
Unread 07-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
VMF
2008 KK Liberty 

i found a seller on eBay and he turned out to be local, so i just went to the warehouse and picked it up there. took like 40-50 mins to install. if i remember correctly it was around 210$ cash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.