Front suspension sag - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Front suspension sag

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 08-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

Front suspension sag

My 12 kk only has 22k miles and the drivers side front seems lower than the passengers side. I put a object in there to measure , it fits inside on top of the tire touching the top of the fender. On the drivers side it won't even go in. I think I've lost a few inches? I've heard the coil springs are crap on these vehicles? Also gonna bring it in to the dealer under warranty to see if they will replace what's wrong.

Any input?
Thanks

Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Poncherello
2010 KK Liberty 

I know the Lib has a slight a sag on the driver side especially with a full tank of gas it's not a few inches though. First thing just before you bring to the dealership make sure you have proper inflation in the tires, check your lean in a few different garages or spots maybe use a friend or significant other's car as a control and park your Lib the same exact in the same spot. Still see a difference make a note of it a picture with a tape measure showing the sag as reference and bring it to the dealer. Just wondering too, how does it drive?

Eventually, if you decide to keep your Lib past it's warranty you could go aftermarket, there are plenty of posts on this forum about that. Feel free to review.

Good Luck.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Measure from the middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare on all 4 corners. This way you have an accurate measurement when telling the dealer
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobradwight View Post
My 12 kk only has 22k miles and the drivers side front seems lower than the passengers side. I put a object in there to measure , it fits inside on top of the tire touching the top of the fender. On the drivers side it won't even go in. I think I've lost a few inches? I've heard the coil springs are crap on these vehicles? Also gonna bring it in to the dealer under warranty to see if they will replace what's wrong.

Any input?
Thanks
Measure from the center of the wheel to the fender... stick an object in there? What?
huntb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
Cobradwight
2012 KK Liberty 

I'll measure the way u guys mentioned
Cobradwight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

In the FSM it give a spec for ride height and where to actually measure,then there is a min and max spec before it's out of actual spec and that is 10mm in either direction.

Basically you can have the RF sitting almost 3/4" difference from the LF and it will still be in factory specs.
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

HEIGHT MEASUREMENT

CURB HEIGHT
NOTE: The suspension is non-adjustable.

The vehicle suspension height should be measured before performing wheel alignment procedure. Also when front suspension components have been replaced. This measure must be performed with the vehicle supporting it's own weight and taken on both sides of the vehicle.

Front and rear curb heights are not adjustable. The spring selections at assembly determine curb height for acceptable appearance of the vehicle. Curb height dimensions assume full fluids (including fuel) and zero passengers. Refer to the table below for front curb height dimensions.

Vehicle curb height audits should be performed utilizing the following procedure:

1. Drive the vehicle straight and forward on a non-tacky surface for a minimum of 20 feet to neutralize track width.
2. Bounce the front of the vehicle five times.
3. Measure and record the dimensions

4. Front – On each side of the vehicle, measure the distance from the center of the front lower control arm bushing bolt (1) to the ground (3) Record the measurement. Next measure the distance from the spindle center (2) to the ground (3) Record the measurement.
5. Take the two measurements and subtract them to get the curb height specification.

REAR CURB HEIGHT
Rear curb height is defined by the relative vertical distance between the top of the lower spring seat strike surface and the bottom of the jounce cup (true metal to metal jounce travel). This is to be measured vertically inside the coil from the point intersecting the inboard edge and the for/aft center of the jounce cup (1) down to the strike surface (2).

CURB HEIGHT SPECIFICATIONS

FRONT | FRONT CROSS HEIGHT | REAR | REAR CROSS (LEFT - RIGHT)
62 mm 10 mm | 0 mm 7mm | 107 mm 10 mm | 0 mm 7mm
2.44 in. 0.39 in | 0 in. 0.27 in | 4.21 in. 0.39 in. | 0 in. 0.27 in.
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
huntb
2008 KK Liberty 

^^^ For some reason that table wouldn't let me space it out but basically the top row has what part the specification is for the middle row is the metric measurement and the bottom row is the imperial measurement

So tj although you are usually right about everything, the difference in the front height can only be about ~0.27"
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
carlosburitica
2010 KK Liberty 

totally normal, even after a suspension upgrade to full ome still have the same sag
i fixed by adding a extra isolator on the rear drivers side spring and a 2" electrical conduit nut the the drivers side on the front. that was the only way to have everything leveled up.
carlosburitica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

The front struts on KKs are a f**king joke!

Rumor is the factory ran out of real struts and went to Wally World and bought up all the kiddie's po-go sticks and started using them!
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Its not the front "SHOCK's" as much as the springs.
Springs are weak which then cause the front shocks to wear out quicker
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
The front struts on KKs are a f**king joke!

Rumor is the factory ran out of real struts and went to Wally World and bought up all the kiddie's po-go sticks and started using them!
So what vehicle you talking about having bad struts? No struts on any Liberty ever made,be it a KK or KJ.They have front coilovers,shocks and coil springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.