Front recovery options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Front recovery options?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Front recovery options?

2011 KK with rear receiver, but nothing up front. I'm going to get a d-ring for the rear receiver, but I'm not finding much for the front. I'd like to put some d-rings up front. From what I understand the factory hooks and mounts are not suited for recovery. Would be nice to have sturdy d-ring mount that can be installed in place of the factory hooks. Any options out there? I'm not finding any. Anything for the KJ that will work on a KK?

Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

Google AtTheHelm's front recovery system here and over on LOST. I have this and it is fantastic. He also makes it with a front receiver hitch if that is what you want.

Here is a link to ATH's thread on LOST:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB...p?f=34&t=77196
Unread 11-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoward View Post
Google AtTheHelm's front recovery system here and over on LOST. I have this and it is fantastic. He also makes it with a front receiver hitch if that is what you want.

Here is a link to ATH's thread on LOST:
I don't think that's going to work for me since I have a power steering cooler in that position. It's mounted right behind the grille. It looks like there is room to mount hooks in the factory positions on either side of the cooler.
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
lfhoward
2008 KK Liberty 

I have the power steering cooler too, as all KK's do. There is plenty of room for airflow and the ATH recovery system doesn't interfere with it. If anything, it is good protection from road debris. As for the tow hooks, you can also mount two with no problems.
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Seems odd the KK would have a Trail Rated badge and not have decent recovery points front and back. The badge must be a marketing ploy. It would make sense for all vehicles to have good recovery points since I see a lot of them in the ditch around here in the winter. Hard to believe it's not standard on everything these days.
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Bmxer524
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob K View Post
Seems odd the KK would have a Trail Rated badge and not have decent recovery points front and back. The badge must be a marketing ploy. It would make sense for all vehicles to have good recovery points since I see a lot of the in the ditch around here in the winter. Hard to believe it's not standard on everything these days.
It has good recovery points. In the rear you either have a tow hook(option) or can use a d-ring on the hitch. Front has the tow hooks by the p/s cooler. If you get them from the factory the front hooks also have a plate that reinforces the mounting locations.

The problems you probably heard were from people that installed them as aftermarket without the plates. In those situations the bolts pull through the frame.

Either way, I second AtTheHelm's recovery. If I didn't have the brushguard I would have put it on. I think it might actually fit with the brushguard on though which I would love...gotta measure and see
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
AtTheHelm

All kks have the power steering cooler there. There is still plenty of airflow to it, there were zero problems during testing and not with any of the users of them (all over the country).
The problem with the tow hooks is the way they mount. The M bolt style is a complete joke, they have ripped out of the unibody on a couple members. The backing plate mounting style is still weak imo. If you're going to run the factory hooks, I 'd at least make your own backing plates out of heavier steel and grade 8 bolt them in.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help. Will save up and get your recovery system at some point. Don't want factory hooks.
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

The factory hooks are ok if you stay away from the m bolts. I put on a Detoures backbone winch mount and a winch after my tow hook pulled out. Atthehelm has some pretty nice stuff, take a look at his bumper too. That's a better option IMO, more ground clearance and the possibility of mounting a winch.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
DrD28

Any suggestions of where I can get 2 front tow hooks for a kk
DrD28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
rescue575

2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD28
Any suggestions of where I can get 2 front tow hooks for a kk
Think the consensus would be save up a few more dollars and get helms front recovery system. Much more stable and gives you better options than the tow hooks.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Cobra 75, Firestik Door Jam Mount, HD Spring, 2Ft Firestik
Dunlop Fierce Attitude M/T
rescue575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #12
AtTheHelm

Unread 02-07-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
DrD28

Thanks for the suggestions
DrD28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #14
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

There is a factory D ring available if you search
The factory installed mount is suitable for recovery.

HOOK, tow 52059236AB (pass. side)
HOOK, tow 52059237AB (drivers side)(not shown)
EYE, tow 52059353AB (pass. side only?)
Stud Plate 52059352AB (This is the good factory mount, not the "M" bolt that is problematic)(not shown)
hooks.jpg

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #15
AtTheHelm

That is the 'tow loop' that is mandatory on some overseas models.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.