Front and Rear axle lubricant change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KK Liberty Forum > Front and Rear axle lubricant change

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #1
jeeps4us
2008 KK Liberty 

Front and Rear axle lubricant change

Hi All,
I just went to the stealership yesterday, and they mentioned that it would be good to change the front and rear axle lubricant on my 4x4 KK 2008 limited Liberty since I have 18K miles. They wanted to do it for the tune of $261.00. I passed on the service for now because I wanted to see what my owner's manual actually said about the service.

I checked my owner's manual out, and it said that it would be okay to inspect the axle lubricants @ 18K, but only change them if my KK was used for police, taxi, fleet, offroad, or frequent trailer towing. None of which I use my KK for. Therefore, what has been the experience of you other owners of the KK? When are you changing your front and rear axle lubricants? Are you doing it @ 18K regardless of the type of use, or are you doing it @30K or later? There is no other service change interval listed in my manual for the front and rear axle lubricants after 18K.

Thanks

jeeps4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

With synthetic gear oils you need to change often,12k-15k is the normal life of syn gear oil.
Unread 10-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
jeeps4us
2008 KK Liberty 

Thanks for the response tjkj2002, but the manual says to inspect and change at 18K if needed. Is there anyone else out there who has just inspected the axle fluids and let it go for longer than 18K?
jeeps4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

Currently your KK has dino oil in it. I would change it out at 18K. Its cheap insurance. Even better if you can do it yourself.

I did the front myself, since it has a fill and drain plug. the rear i paid the dealer labor (.75 hr= 60.00) to change the rear. It requires pulling off the cover and resealing. I used AMSOIL 75-90 for the front and AMSOIL 75-140 for the rear.

If you use your liberty for just DD or grocery getting. Dino will be ok, but if you do more than just that id go with synthetic. It doest cost that much more and you can near double your use with it.
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Rear axle is synthetic,and needed for warranty.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
Rear axle is synthetic,and needed for warranty.
Not true,having 85w-140 din gear oil,and friction modifier if needed, more then meets warranty requirements if you tow and will do a better job at keeping your diff bearings happy over any synthetic gear oil.
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Not true,having 85w-140 din gear oil,and friction modifier if needed, more then meets warranty requirements if you tow and will do a better job at keeping your diff bearings happy over any synthetic gear oil.
The manual say synthetic,and Amsoil oil say synthetic see the #3:Maybe the older one but from what I see 08+ are synthetic

Differential, Rear......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-140 [3]
SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVOQT)
80W-140 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGO05)
Transfer Case,......AP4
Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid......AP4
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)
Clutch Fluid......

[1] Use motor oil that is formulated to meet Chrysler MS-6395.
[2] Mopar part no. 04874464 or equivalent
[3] Synthetic oil is required.
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
The manual say synthetic,and Amsoil oil say synthetic see the #3:

Differential, Rear......GL-5
All TEMPS......75W-140 [3]
SEVERE GEAR 75W-140 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVOQT)
80W-140 Synthetic Long Life Gear Lube (FGO05)
Transfer Case,......AP4
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid......AP4
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN)
Clutch Fluid......

[1] Use motor oil that is formulated to meet Chrysler MS-6395.
[2] Mopar part no. 04874464 or equivalent
[3] Synthetic oil is required.
The rear diff requires GL5,does not need to be syntetic and I wouldn't believe anything amsoil prints.
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

With a lifetime warranty I wouldnt put in anything but synthetic to make sure its covered under warranty,anybody can do what they want,but I would still go with synthetic.
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
With a lifetime warranty I wouldnt put in anything but synthetic to make sure its covered under warranty,anybody can do what they want,but I would still go with synthetic.
The lifetime warranty only states GL5 and proper weight.I wouldn't put synthetic gear oil in any diff anymore,it just does not protect the bearings as well as dino gear oil,it's pluses for engines and trans are it's major downfalls in a diff.
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:37 PM   #11
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The lifetime warranty only states GL5 and proper weight.I wouldn't put synthetic gear oil in any diff anymore,it just does not protect the bearings as well as dino gear oil,it's pluses for engines and trans are it's major downfalls in a diff.
We all have differrant opinions.
Unread 10-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
We all have differrant opinions.
Just remember your opinion is based off of recommendations and laws from tree huggers for mpg's and not longevity.The only reason synthetic gear oil is so widely used by car company's is purely mpg's and not diff protection.They are forced by the government and CARB to up the mpg's so they must reduce protection to bearings and such to acheive those mpg #'s. Yeah you will loose mpg's running dino gear oil but that means the dino gear oil is doing it's job correctly.

Also be aware as a auto tech,which get's a bad rap for recommending expensive stuff, I'm recommending the cheapest product as it works better in this case.So now you can say a tech actually recommended a cheaper product to save you money.
Unread 10-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Thats good ,but I researched it on the net,and everything says synthetic beats conventional in every way.Take on better heat,better lubrication.Those are facts.Your just in a argument mood:

SYNTHETICS
Many automotive manufacturers recommend synthetic lubricants for certain
components or certain driving conditions (i.e. trailer towing). Full synthetic gear oil
is similar to conventional oil in that both are composed of a base oil and additives.
What makes synthetic gear oil unique is the base oil has been artificially
synthesized. As a result, the oil has several advantages over conventional oil,
particularly under “extreme” conditions. For example, some benefits include their
ability to transfer heat away from crucial differential parts quicker at extreme
temperatures and their ability to flow better at extreme low temperatures.
Unread 10-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #14
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Features & Benefits
Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-90 combines wax-free synthesised hydrocarbon base oils and a specially designed extremepressure,
limited-slip, sulphur-phosphorous additive system to provide a significantly higher level of performance in rear axles and
differentials versus conventional fluids. Greater film strength at higher operating temperatures, reduced fluid friction and lowtemperature
application down to -50C provides significant advantages versus conventional mineral oil formulations. It reduces wear
and spaulding under the high speed, high torque and high horsepower conditions in competitive racing and high performance
automobiles. This unique, high technology final drive gear lubricant has demonstrated outstanding performance including; fuel
economy, extended drain, long-term friction retention, low-temperature capability and improved differential/axle durability and
cleanliness. Key features and benefits include:
Features Advantages and Potential Benefits
Exceptional thermal stability and resistance to high temperature
oxidation
Extended gear and bearing life due to minimal deposits
Longer seal life
Potential extended oil drain/service intervals
Outstanding protection against low speed/high torque wear and
against high speed scoring
Capability to handle the severest driving conditions while
delivering smooth efficient and reliable performance
Exceptional shear stability Retains viscosity and film strength under severe operating
conditions to prevent wear
Excellent rust, staining and corrosion protection of copper and its
alloys
Reduced wear
Longer component life

Enhanced frictional properties Improved fuel economy and reduced operating costs
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Thats good ,but I researched it on the net,and everything says synthetic beats conventional in every way.Take on better heat,better lubrication.Those are facts.Your just in a argument mood:

SYNTHETICS
Many automotive manufacturers recommend synthetic lubricants for certain
components or certain driving conditions (i.e. trailer towing). Full synthetic gear oil
is similar to conventional oil in that both are composed of a base oil and additives.
What makes synthetic gear oil unique is the base oil has been artificially
synthesized. As a result, the oil has several advantages over conventional oil,
particularly under “extreme” conditions. For example, some benefits include their
ability to transfer heat away from crucial differential parts quicker at extreme
temperatures and their ability to flow better at extreme low temperatures.
Just ask some of the formost diff builders like Currie,Hi9,Eaton,and even Dana and all will state that dino gear oil is better and some only specify dino gear oil in there diffs for any type of warranty to be honored.

What a oil company say's to get you to buy a $18 per qt synthetic gear oil is way different then what a diff company will say that best protects there diffs which is the cheaper dino gear oil.

Hi9..................
True Hi9 high pinion Ford 9 inch third members richmond

Just to start,you have to call others and google is your friend.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.